Belize, Carnival Miracle

Bookbug53

This is part of a longer review on the CCL board. Thought I would post each section on the appropriate port of call board:

Belize: Sunday (April 13)

This was the only stop where we booked a Carnival excursion. We did so specifically because of the logistics of tendering. That many people, a 15-20 minute tender ride and a relatively short stay (departure at 3) made us a bit leery about booking outside. People on Carnival excursions were given the first tender tickets and others were told to be in the Phantom lounge about 9 to start receiving their tender tickets. Things went fairly smoothly except for the very few that always seem to think ‘the rules do not apply to me’. One woman raised such an incredible fuss about having to wait they actually put her in line with the excursion people just to shut her up I think. She insisted she needed to go ashore as ‘she had important shopping to do’!

We went to Bacab Eco Park to tour the butterfly house and enjoy the park itself. There are actually 5 different tours for this park. Bikes, horses, rain forest, and kayaks. We all traveled on the same bus (about 25-30 minutes) and split up when we got to the park. They were very good about explaining life in Belize and answering questions during the ride. At the park we headed off to the butterfly house. Lourdes was our guide and a very well informed about the butterflies. My only complaint was that it was very hot that day and we had a woman with us that let it be known that she was a butterfly expert and basically she would not shut up! The butterflies were just gorgeous and the tour was interesting but took twice as long as it should have because of this woman. Everyone was happy just to get out. We went back over to the pool area where we had a great lunch (included) and then free time to enjoy the park. The pool is wonderful. Very large with a waterfall, slide and plenty of shady tables around to enjoy beverages. We swam a bit and then sipped beer by the pool until it was ready to head back. We arrived back at the pier with about an hour to spare, did a bit of shopping, and then went to the Wet Lizard for a cold beer (see a theme!). The Wet Lizard is an open air bar and restaurant that is located on the second floor offering some great views of the harbor and the tenders so you can judge when you actually have to get in line.

Feel free to ask any questions.

• 3 months later...

I found this old post but am hoping you can still remember enough to answer questions!

It sounds like you had a great time with the exception of the annoying "expert" that traveled with you. :rolleyes:

Do you recall having a mosquito problem while there?

What was available for the options on the lunch that is included?

Is the butterfly area right there close to the restaurant and pool so that you could go back to it if you wanted to?

Is this an all day event or is this something that if we wanted to head back to the ship fairly early that the shuttle will still be available?

Does the shuttle run directly to and from the park?

We are going to be there next month and are traveling with our 9 month old daughter. I have heard that Belize isn't the safest of places....what was your feeling while there?

Thanks!

I found this old post but am hoping you can still remember enough to answer questions!

It sounds like you had a great time with the exception of the annoying "expert" that traveled with you. :rolleyes:

Do you recall having a mosquito problem while there?

What was available for the options on the lunch that is included?

Is the butterfly area right there close to the restaurant and pool so that you could go back to it if you wanted to?

Is this an all day event or is this something that if we wanted to head back to the ship fairly early that the shuttle will still be available?

Does the shuttle run directly to and from the park?

We are going to be there next month and are traveling with our 9 month old daughter. I have heard that Belize isn't the safest of places....what was your feeling while there?

Thanks!

We did not seem to have any problem with mosquitos. We had repellant with us but I don't seem to remember using it hardly at all.

The lunch was set up as a buffet type. There was a lot of fresh native fruits, pulled pork, really good chicken (slightly spicy, grilled type), a couple of different salads, breads included fried corn bread, corn on the cob, fruit punch. Maybe a bit more items but that is what I remember. There is a bar if you wish to purchase a different beverage.

You can leave the butterfly area and walk back. It is quite close by. One gentleman with us did leave with his young daughter to go back to the pool.

I am not sure if you have an option of leaving the park early. We did not look into that aspect. We had a great time and once we were settled by the pool we had no reason to!

The bus does go directly to the park and back. The area where the tenders load is a nice little shopping area and you don't need to travel away from there if you want to pick up a couple of souveniers.

Since we did the excursion we really did not wory about safety that much. The people we met were very friendly and polite and I did not have the feeling that we would have been in any danger. If you stay with the cruise line excursions I am sure you will not have any problems.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Odd question, but do you recall seeing any pink butterflies? The only reason I ask is because while looking at your pictures I wonder if we could get some good pictures of pink butterflies for my daughter's room. Her room is done in pink butterflies.

Are there many pink ones at the park?

Thanks!

Gorgeous pictures! Thanks for sharing!

Odd question, but do you recall seeing any pink butterflies? The only reason I ask is because while looking at your pictures I wonder if we could get some good pictures of pink butterflies for my daughter's room. Her room is done in pink butterflies.

Are there many pink ones at the park?

Thanks!

I looked through the rest of my pictures and did not find a pink one but my husband says he remembers there were some butterflies that were black with a bold pink 'splash' across the end of their wings (we did not get a picture).

Archived