Does anyone use the space saver bags?

sas80

Being the consummate planner I am, I am already mentally preparing for our med cruise and transatlantic in the fall of 2009 :o

We are assuming that we are going to have a second child by then and will have more to pack.

Has anyone ever packed using the space saver bags? what did you think?

Also, any good recommendations on a double stroller that folds up compact?

A 3 year old will still need a stroller, right?

Anyone does a Med cruise, Barcelona to Barcelona? I'm hoping we can get diapers and baby supplies in Europe and not have to lug them in our luggage....

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

I have used the eagle creek pack-it folders for shirts and the space saver bags for years. For smaller items like underwear I use gallon size freezer bags with a double zip. Having everyone's things in a bag makes it so much easier to find stuff.

You will definitely have more space in your bag. Be aware, however, that everything will still weigh the same.

With small children, I've always used Gallon or Quart-sized ziploc bags.

I packed an outfit (and any accessories) in the bag, then roll to squeeze the air out before sealing. Then I labeled them with child name and day they were planned for ... plus several marked with name and 'extra' ... then I could just grab a bag to change them or to tuck into the diaper bag.

I had 3 children in 2 1/2 years, and could get clothes for all 3 for a week (including a dressy occasion or two like a wedding or formal) into a carry-on sized suitcase until they were 6, 7 and 8 if I used bags.

I LOVE them and have used them for years. I even pack a full size down pillow!

I prefer the Packmate brand from QVC but the web site doesn't show the travel pack available right now, so you might have to check back. You can also find them at Linens n things and Bed bath and beyond.

Do watch the weight - it is easier to overpack with them and have the bag be too heavy. They keep everything dry and protected if your luggage is inspected. and they are great to stuff dirty clothes in for the trip home. I even pack an empty one for those Tshirts we buy along the way.

I LOVE them and have used them for years. I even pack a full size down pillow!

I prefer the Packmate brand from QVC but the web site doesn't show the travel pack available right now, so you might have to check back. You can also find them at Linens n things and Bed bath and beyond.

Do watch the weight - it is easier to overpack with them and have the bag be too heavy. They keep everything dry and protected if your luggage is inspected. and they are great to stuff dirty clothes in for the trip home. I even pack an empty one for those Tshirts we buy along the way.

Do you find them durable? I have read in a few places where the seal breaks after a few uses?

I have had really good luck with the Packmate brand and have been able to use them over several years. I have had to replace other brands. And eventually you will have to replace them, but I use them several times a year and they have lasted me for quite a few years.

Occasionally I have had to toss one here and there. But I have had good luck with them.

I know many like just to use ziploc bags (which I love for other items), but I find they don't keep the air out for very long.

You can find them for sale individually when I googled PACKMATE. I normally like to buy them thru QVC as they usually have a package set w/a variety of different sizes. You could call their customer servcie and ask if they are expecting any in soon.

found the product number:

V22365

Pack Mate 14 Piece Space Saving Storage and Travel Bag Set

with the message:

We're sorry, this item is temporarily out of stock. Please check back again soon

their web site is http://www.qvc.com

the jumbo ones aren't for travel, but good at home to store blankets in. Sometimes they also have a set with small ones that are good for socks and small items.

I think those can be found in item # F29226.

go to the QVC web page and type in the item number in the search field

Also, any good recommendations on a double stroller that folds up compact?

A 3 year old will still need a stroller, right?

Anyone does a Med cruise, Barcelona to Barcelona? I'm hoping we can get diapers and baby supplies in Europe and not have to lug them in our luggage....

Thanks so much for your help everyone!

I was in Florida last year and came across space saver bags and loved them I took great delight in placing all my new clothes into the new suitcase I brought and then getting all my childrens Disney toys and seeing if anyone could recognise the character after taking the air out! Hours of fun (well for me anyway). but as others have said be aware you may take the air out but the weight remains the same. Never had such a heavy bag before nearly had to pay extra flying home.

Do not know if you have strollers called umbrella strollers in America but we found that it was great for compact and lightweight storage do not know how old your youngest will be but if the can support there own head then this would be the way to go as for the three year old you can buy a boogy board that attachs to the back of the stroller and he stands inbetween yourself and the pram whilst you push. But you can buy double umbrella strollers as well.

Nappy (diaper) supplies and wipes you should have no problem in purchasing them in Europe but if you would like to reply as to what Formula you intend to use if you are using formula I can have a look to see if it is available in Europe

sorry forgot to mention I live in England

Thanks! We typically use Similac but I am perfectly fine purchasing "whatever" kind of formula is available. I plan to breastfeed for 9 months and then switch to formula (same way I did it with my first)

Can you tell me what kinds of formula are typically available there?

Also, do you guys have Huggies brand diapers? Or what is a good diaper?

This gelps a lot as I only plan to pack as much diapers/wipes/formula as I need to jump across the pond.

Thanks!

Huggies are a very recognised brand as are Pampers in England and the rest of Europe also supermarket brands are common place.

As for formulas SMA stands out for me also Milupa.

Similac is not a recognised brand for me but I have just googled the name and I guess the company is international so it may be available here I will go looking in the supermarkets when I get a chance.

I guess I'll be the dissenter: I got a set of the Space Saver bags at Wal-Mart last year before our Hawaii cruise, and I was pretty disappointed in them. One of the seals broke the first time I tried to seal the bag, and it wasn't even very full so I really don't think it was "operator error". No matter what I did my stuff got wrinkled, and I honestly didn't see very much difference in volume between the clothes packed in the bags and those without. Now, this may be because I happen to be a very good packer and I pack things that don't compress a lot, but for whatever the reason I didn't think it made much of a difference. I brought several gallon sized ziplock bags for my son's stuff and I really think that those worked just as well as the space saver bags.

As for strollers, check out the Maclaren Twin Triumph and Maclaren Twin Techno. Both are umbrella style, made of excellent quality materials, and fold up very small. The Techno is slighly plusher though not by much, but the Triumph is lighter (21 vs 26 lbs) . Other good options are the Baby Planet Unity Sport Lightweight Twin, Joovy Groove 2, and Inglesina Twin Swift.

Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for all the help, and thanks for the stroller recommendations.

I think we have just decided to get luggage bars installed on my car.

Really this issue comes down to traveling with the kid(s) and not having enough space to pack the luggage we need, plus the stroller(s). We both have 4 door cars, but neither is an suv and both are in excellent condition, we like them, and both are paid for, so there is no motivation to go back to paying a monthly car payment.

I did a little research and we can get luggage bars and a luggage rack for about $400 installed on my car. So I think we are just going to do that.

I tell ya...not having an suv does present problems when you want to purchase bigger items....! We bought a fake xmas tree last year, foolishly thought it would fit into my trunk :rolleyes:, and had to call a neighbor with a truck to help us get it home!! :D

Good thing we have great neighbors!

Archived