San Diego Zoo question

We're planning to go to San Diego Zoo while stopping there on Baja cruise. How easy/difficult is it to get to the zoo on your own (taxi, I guess) or should we opt for the ship's excursion? A bit worried about being stuck at the zoo with a delay in getting back, or getting in a traffic jam. But how far from the ship IS the zoo, and is it tricky?

I'm not sure how long it is from the port to the zoo. I don't think it's near the port. I would recommend the ships excursion if one is offered. San Diego does have traffic. I was stuck in it last time we visited there. Have you thought about Sea World? I would think it would be a lot closer to the port. ;)

If you are going to the San Diego Zoo, simply hire a taxi and it is a very easy ride. It should take no longer than 10 to 15 minutes. I certainly would not take the ship's tour. I'm sure they charge a premium and taxis are very easy to get when exiting the zoo grounds. You may even want to walk over to Balboa Park since it is directly next to the Zoo!

Best suggestion, is to look at their official website and get the times of opening and closing for the day you will be there. Get there early and you'll see the animals out and about getting their feedings for the day.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/

Also, if you are going soon, you may want to buy your tickets on-line, thus avoiding very long lines to purchase entrance tickets the day you arrive. This will then give you additional time in the zoo.

Enjoy your day at the zoo. It is one BIG zoo!

:D

We've been there many times and plan to take our friends who will accompany us on our Feb. 20 crusie thru the Panama. You should not take any excursion off the ship as it will be much more reasonable to simply take a taxi from the pier. We've done lots of shore adventures and have never booked an excursion off the ship - sorry all cruise lines but it is simply too expensive. $500 US for the train trip in Skagway Alaska for 4 people vs. $120 US for 4 people on a land trip that was 10 times more interesting and took us to many spots that the folks on the train never saw. We spoke to many people after who said it was the most boring trip and nearly everyone fell asleep. Take some time to research the areas where you will visit and then hire a local cab.

I agree with you for the most part. There are many ports that I would simply NOT take my own transportation or do "my own thing", simply because the risk of missing the ship would be too great.

If you miss the ship, you pay for your own transportation to get on at a later stop. In some cases, due to the Jones Law, you may even be denied access to the ship in the next port. Heavy fines can then be imposed upon anyone in these cases.

With that said, the zoo is certainly not one of those times, and I would definitely do it on-your-own!

Sorry for the bad information. Luckily many people are much more familiar with the San Diego area! I had no idea the zoo was so close to the port! I really must have got turned around the last time I went.

Archived