Mexican Riviera - How's the temp in April

My family of 2 adults and 4 kids are planning for next April's Easter vacation. We are booked on Mariner of the Seas out of the Port of LA in San Pedro for April '09. We have been steadfast eastern and western Caribbean sailors for the past 25 years with RCCL

The only concern we have with the Mexican Riviera cruise are the temperatures we will encounter at this time of year. Can the southern California seasoned sailors let me know if this is a valid concern for us? Being from the upper Midwest, we want to hit the ship shirtless on the first day and begin our tans.

Thank you,

Square

My family of 2 adults and 4 kids are planning for next April's Easter vacation. We are booked on Mariner of the Seas out of the Port of LA in San Pedro for April '09. We have been steadfast eastern and western Caribbean sailors for the past 25 years with RCCL

The only concern we have with the Mexican Riviera cruise are the temperatures we will encounter at this time of year. Can the southern California seasoned sailors let me know if this is a valid concern for us? Being from the upper Midwest, we want to hit the ship shirtless on the first day and begin our tans.

Thank you,

Square

You can check averages on each of these sites:

10-DAY WEATHER for Cabo San Lucas, Mexico

10-DAY WEATHER for Mazatlan, Mexico

10-DAY WEATHER for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Enjoy :)

I just got back and omg was I shocked at how cold and windy it was on the boat.

Yep, the Pacific is very cool year round but out of the wind and in the sun it will likely be O.K. for those who come from cooler areas.

Here is one more link:

10-DAY WEATHER for Los Angeles International Airport

It was chilly the first day on our April 6-13 cruise but lots of folks were at the pool.

We've done this cruise twice, once in late October and again in mid-March. The weather was similar on both. The first day (at sea) is with the wind at your back so I found it pleasant although it can be cool (in other words, first day tanning is probable but not guaranteed). The ports will be warm to hot. The last two days (again at sea) will likely be windy, cool, and just a little bit of ocean motion. Have fun. So glad RCLL decided to replace Vision with Mariner on this itinerary.

Just came back from that trip on the Vision from March 30 to April 6, and are booked for the same trip on the Mariner next March 22! We've also done that run in December 2005 and 2006.

The first day from LA is iffy. It can be glorious and 85 or cold and 65. This year in March it was pretty much right in the middle. We had sun and didn't need jackets on deck until the sun went down.

The second day (first sea day) you can feel it warm up. By day 3 in Cabo it will most likely be in the 80's or higher. On each Cabo leg of our prior three trips it was definitely shorts and tee shirt weather. One trip it was low 90's. Day 4 in Mazatlan was beautiful this year. Again, shorts and tee shirts. The prior two times, both in December, were a little cooler, maybe mid to upper 70's. Still nice weather though. Day 5 in PV was another stunner. Not too hot, not too cold, those shorts and tee shirts again!

While I cannot guarantee that this same weather in Mexico will hold for April 2009, I can guarantee that the two sea days northbound will be windy, rocky and will be increasiginly cold on deck as we head toward LA. On each trip (the ones in December being the worst) it was rough seas going north. This last April really wasn't that bad. It was very windy and cold on deck, to the point that the outdoor pool was deserted by mid afternoon. (I, however, had an aft balcony and enjoyed wind free sun all day!) So, on those two sea days we enjoyed more of the indoor activities and that glorious balcony!

Archived