Is there a way to prop open your cabin door??

Our family will have a few cabins on a cruise in Oct. Is there a way to prop open your cabin door or leave it unlocked so kids can go in and out? I know the doors are heavy, but has anyone used a wedge doorstop to keep it slightly open? I would hate to have grandma and grandpa constantly getting up from "resting" on their bed to answer the door. Anyone have any tricks?? Thanks...

If you are "lucky" enough, you may find a passed-out honeymooner propping open your door!

Alan

Engage the safety latch on the door while the door is open. The protrusion of the safety latch prevents the door from closeing fully.

tonyt

Hi, this is not something I would recommend that you do with the type of Ving locks on ships. If the door constantly tries to close, the extend latch will hit the frame and the force will be passed back into the lock. I can tell you from experience that this type of banging action can cause the lock to cease opening and when the door is closed with someone inside the cabin.....this is the main reason the cabin attendants use the wedge and not just leave the bolt out

I would go for the extra keys.......

The other thing to remember about the wedges is that they are designed as temporary aids for the cabin attendants and not for permanent all day use......the modern cruise ship doors in cabins are designed to comply with the fire prevention and figthing aspects of SOLAS.....the main reason, those little magnets that disappeared from cabin doors some time ago....

Archived