Best place to snorkel

ndavis7515

We will be in Bermuda on the NCL Dream in July and are docked for 3 days ini St. George. I usually go out on an excursion to snorkel. One of our group wants to know where the best snorkelling is without going out on an excursion.

Can anyone shed any light on this for us?

Thanks all

There will be several opinions but our favorite place is Tobacco Bay which is within walking distance of St. George. Best thing to do is get there as early as you can, because it can get crowded and the water can also get churned up.

Has anyone ever snorkeled in Harrington Sound? Where did you enter?

Church Bay is in Harrington Sound. It's not all that far from St. George on a bus route. I thought I heard that Church Bay could be rough. musicgirl63 should be able to confirm if it is.

Here's video of Church Bay.

I didn't snorkel, dh did.

There is snorkel on a reef fairly close, this would be good for beginners. The best fish are further out and this is his take on it.....

He said he really needed fins. He only grabbed his mask and snorkel when we left the room. He said that it was pretty far out there and would be rough on a windy day. He also mentioned that he felt that you should be a fairly strong swimmer.

That being said, he said it was definitely worth it.

Church Bay is not in Harrington Sound. It's further to the western end of the island on South Shore.

Harrington Sound is excellent for snorkeling but access to the public can be a problem. We're fortunate that our neighborhood has a small shelly beach that all of us have rights to access for the sound.

I'm not up to it now but a few years ago we'd snorkle from the beach right out to Trunk Island and the sea fans etc there are beautiful.

Along the rocks by our little beach access we find calico clams, lots of conch and even sea horses - in addition to the normal fish. Lovely. Hmm, water's warming up so maybe it's time to brush off the fins and mask and head down the hill to the beach....

Sorrrrryyyyy...but just think that I envy you your wonderful malls! I know it's pathetic but something we don't have that I look forward to on my trips to the east coast! Roll on May 24th...here I come Willowbrook Mall!

• 1 month later...

You all are getting me so excited-headed to Bermuda on the Majesty on July 12th!! Plan to hit several beaches to snorkel. Lots of great advice here on the forums-thanks to you all! I don't want to go to any place that's to rough for a beginner. thanks:D

Debbie

Has anyone ever snorkeled in Harrington Sound? Where did you enter?

If I wanted to go snorkelling, Harrington Sound would be very low on my list of places to go all the above mentioned places are easily 100 times better than HS. But, if you are in the neighborhood and have a mask and want a swim then, as Bermudamom said, it is possible to see some cool stuff, but not nearly as good as the other places. For public access to the water, there's a dock with steps leading into the water on HS road, opposite HS primary school, and a little further West at Devil's Hole, there's a boat ramp. From there there's a little island with a house on it that looks like it might have some good habitat for fish. If you decide on entering the water here, you might as well go over the hill to John Smith's Bay, about a 2 minute walk.

Herb:

if you are docking at Kings Wharf you are a lot closer to Church Bay than you think--take the bus from there to Church Bay. check the boards to details on bus transportation, they have link with the routes and all.

when you ferry to St. George's you are going from the western end of the island to the eastern end. if it were me, I'd ferry back to kings wharf from St. George's, as it would be a very long bus ride!!

We don't have snorkel gear -- do we need to get it or can we rent it reasonably?

Personally, I don't care much for renting snorkels, masks and fins--that snorkel sits in your mouth!! As best I recall you can rent the gear for $15-$20/day at places like Tobacco Bay and St. Catherine's (also nice snorkeling especially for beginners--water is shallow and calm around base of fort and plenty of fish to see!).

I bought snorkel, mask & fins in a mesh carry bag for less than $30 at costco and took it with me for my whole family. We always had our gear, it fit in the compartment under the seat on the scooter and we snorkeled everywhere we went.

Herb:

if you are docking at Kings Wharf you are a lot closer to Church Bay than you think--take the bus from there to Church Bay. check the boards to details on bus transportation, they have link with the routes and all.

when you ferry to St. George's you are going from the western end of the island to the eastern end. if it were me, I'd ferry back to kings wharf from St. George's, as it would be a very long bus ride!!

Archived