Dive w/ Martin or Bottom Time Divers in Cozumel?

sslkrissi

Hi,

Ok, so I have narrowed my choices for a dive op in cozumel down to Dive w/ Martin and Bottom Time Divers (Raul). I have also emailed BlueXT Sea Diving 2 times in the past 4 days and have not received any response, so for now they are not included as one of my options. Anyone have experience w/ one or both? What will the main differences be? Both seem to get great reviews. The only observation I have made is that Dive w/ Martin seems to be mentioned more often.... does that mean it is the better choice???

Help me.... I'm indecisive :confused:

Thanks

I've been on Raul's boat and he's a nice guy, so I'd probably go with him. Dive with Martin get mentioned more often because they are a much larger operation with multiple boats, whereas Raul is just himself with his own boat and boat captain. You will be diving with him, the owner, where with other operators, you will likely be diving with employees.

As for not hearing back from Christi, all I can say is that Cozumel sometimes has email problems, so try again. She's usually really good about returning emails.

I actually got a call from Christi yesterday. It appears that she had sent me several responses to my 3 emails, but for some reason I wasn't getting any of them. Nevertheless, she is not available.

As for Dive w/ Martin, I had no idea that they were considered a larger operation. I know I've read somewhere that one of the smaller dive ops in Cozumel was started by someone who actually used worked as a DM for Christi's operation. Is that Raul or someone else?

Thanks

I actually got a call from Christi yesterday. It appears that she had sent me several responses to my 3 emails, but for some reason I wasn't getting any of them. Nevertheless, she is not available.
I'm not surprised she's full. She is popular with people on http://www.scubaboard.com and http://www.scubadiving.com message boards.

As for Dive w/ Martin, I had no idea that they were considered a larger operation. I know I've read somewhere that one of the smaller dive ops in Cozumel was started by someone who actually used worked as a DM for Christi's operation. Is that Raul or someone else?

Thanks

That is how lots of the small dive operator start in Cozumel, someone who has worked for someone else. I don't know who worked for Christi before starting their own op.

My husband just booked with Allison for July. She sounds terrific- we've been corresponding via email and she's been very prompt. Now he just has to decide what new equipment to buy! Yikes! Diving sure is an expensive hobby!

Hi,

Ok, so I have narrowed my choices for a dive op in cozumel down to Dive w/ Martin and Bottom Time Divers (Raul). Both seem to get great reviews. The only observation I have made is that Dive w/ Martin seems to be mentioned more often.... does that mean it is the better choice???Help me.... I'm indecisive :confused: Thanks

We like Divemaster David with Dive with Martin. I'm sure Raul is just as good we have just never been with him. It is a little harder to book with Martin when diving from a cruise ship so if Raul is available I would give him a shot. However when staying on the Island we will use David every time, we know his dive skills and he knows ours. I like to get the same people whenever possible to make the dive a little more relaxing and enjoyable (nothing like diving with friends).

Yikes! Diving sure is an expensive hobby!

It is less expensive than fishing, by the time you buy the all the fishing gear, the boat, the truck to pull the boat......

Don't even think about UW photography or even more expensive, UW video.

It is less expensive than fishing, by the time you buy the all the fishing gear, the boat, the truck to pull the boat......

Don't even think about UW photography or even more expensive, UW video.

Oh please! Now he'll tell me he wants a waterproof housing for his digital camera!!

But seriously... Do you recommend he get his own regulator before this trip, or is the equipment he'll be renting good and safe?

Oh please! Now he'll tell me he wants a waterproof housing for his digital camera!!

But seriously... Do you recommend he get his own regulator before this trip, or is the equipment he'll be renting good and safe?

If you can swing it, get him his own regulator. Think about it, it's the only thing between getting air vs. water in your lungs, rental regs are just gross (think divers use breath mints, not! :) ) and you want your own gauges, compass, etc. so you're comfortable when you need to get readings on depth, temp., amount of air left, etc. Also make sure they're serviced as part of the purchase. There's little filings that get left in the first stage (you're hubby will know what that is) as part of the manufacturing process and if you don't get them flushed out right away they will cause damage to the regulator after a time. My dive shop has shown me many an on-line purchased reg where people didn't get them serviced, or couldn't because the brand wasn't supported locally, and most had serious problems just after 6 months.

Randall

Thanks for the info Randall. He really seems to want one and i've kind of been cheap since he hasn't dived since his certification and will probably only dive once a year on a cruise. Guess I should "let him" get one!

Archived