Wine anyone???

:D Has anyone brought bottles of wine/alcohol on NCL?

Thanks!:p

You can take wine on board but NCL will charge a $15/per bottle corkage fee. You can not take on any other bottles of alcohol. People try, some successful and some not, to sneak it on board. NCL offers a bar set where you can purchase beer, alcohol, tonic, ect for a discounted rate then what you would pay if you ordered a drink from any bar service. You pre-order and pre-pay for this and it will be waiting for you in yor cabin.

I just got off the Spirit yesterday. We brought a case of wine with us and we carried it on. We fully expected to pay the $15 corking fee per bottle, but we were never stopped! We brought a HUGE bottle of wine with us every night to dinner. Never did get charged a corking fee! ;)

We also could have taken ANYTHING in our carry ons...the people working the terminal couldn't have cared less. They had their ipods on and didn't even look at us. I even asked one of them about my box of wine, and he said "Just take it with you.". I think it really depends on who's working the luggage X-Ray line.

:D Has anyone brought bottles of wine/alcohol on NCL?

Okay, guilty as charged here. We've always brought a bottle of blackberry brandy. DH and I have a tradition of taking a stroll on the promenade while sipping our brandies before we turn in each night. Not all ships carry it, it's the traditional home remedy for "travelers indigestion" and (hey, I admit it) we don't mind saving a few bucks. The general advice is to put it in your checked luggage. Yes, it isn't "allowed" but we haven't been to the naughty room yet.

I just got off the Spirit yesterday. We brought a case of wine with us and we carried it on. We fully expected to pay the $15 corking fee per bottle, but we were never stopped! We brought a HUGE bottle of wine with us every night to dinner. Never did get charged a corking fee! ;)

ilovedw,

if you don't mind me asking, what type of carrying case was your wine in? We're planning to bring several bottles of wine onto the Spirit next weekend, so I'm wondering what type of packaging you used.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the info. I have on other cruise lines but have never tried on NCL. We are doing a Alaska cruise and figured we would buy in Seattle and put in our suitcase before we get on the boat. I would like to know also, did you pack the wine with anything? I'm just afraid that it will break:eek:

We packed 8 bottles in a rolling bag and carried it on. Each bottle had the big bubble wrap taped around it. If you want to try to pack it in your luggage, I'd only do the wine from the boxed variety. You can remove the bladder from the box, put it in a big glad bag or two, and there ya go. It may or may not be noticed. If it is, you'll go to the naughty room and "probably" pay the corkage fee. That's why we go to the trouble of carrying it on. Then we have no doubt we'll get to have our wine... and drink it too!

Have a great cruise!!

A.

Yup.. You'll have no problem carrying it on. They'll have a table set up to write out your corkage fee receipts that will be added to your shipboard account. Just make sure you let the steward at the table know that you wish to pay the fee. For some reason, our steward acted as though we were going to treat the wine as liquour and hold it for us til the end of the cruise. We told him we wanted to pay the corkage fee, and he was fine with that. Also, Try to get a sticker put on each bottle. He didn't do that for us, and we had to explain again and again that we'd already been charged the fee everytime we took the wine to dinner. In fact, on our bill, we'd been charge double corkage fee for each bottle (they corrected it happily) but this could have been avoided had we had the stickers.

You'll be able to take the wine to your cabin after you pay the fee. We took 3 bottles with us to our first night of dinner and had them store them. Your waiter will give you a written ticket with your name and wine indicated on it. Keep that ticket and bring it with you if you want that bottle with dinner. After dinner is over, you can have them take the unfinished bottle back to storage, or you can take the bottle with you.

Hope that helps.

A.

ilovedw,

if you don't mind me asking, what type of carrying case was your wine in? We're planning to bring several bottles of wine onto the Spirit next weekend, so I'm wondering what type of packaging you used.

Thanks!

I used the cardboard box the 6 bottles came in. Bought it from the liquor store. I taped it up, added a luggage tag (just in case) and we carried it all the way onboard.

Yup.. You'll have no problem carrying it on. They'll have a table set up to write out your corkage fee receipts that will be added to your shipboard account. Just make sure you let the steward at the table know that you wish to pay the fee. For some reason, our steward acted as though we were going to treat the wine as liquour and hold it for us til the end of the cruise. We told him we wanted to pay the corkage fee, and he was fine with that. Also, Try to get a sticker put on each bottle. He didn't do that for us, and we had to explain again and again that we'd already been charged the fee everytime we took the wine to dinner. In fact, on our bill, we'd been charge double corkage fee for each bottle (they corrected it happily) but this could have been avoided had we had the stickers.

You'll be able to take the wine to your cabin after you pay the fee. We took 3 bottles with us to our first night of dinner and had them store them. Your waiter will give you a written ticket with your name and wine indicated on it. Keep that ticket and bring it with you if you want that bottle with dinner. After dinner is over, you can have them take the unfinished bottle back to storage, or you can take the bottle with you.

Hope that helps.

A.

I know this is the way it normally works, this is how we expected it to work. However, on our 4/27 sailing, there was NO corkage fee table set up at all. AND we brought a bottle to dinner each and every single night and were NEVER charged a corking fee. The Maitre'd at Shogun even commented that he wanted some of our HUGE bottle (yes, they were the big ones! ;) ). I guess it really all depends on the day of travel. Regardless, PLAN on paying the corking fee. If you get charged, fine. It's what you expected. If you don't get charged, BONUS. :cool:

Archived