Is this a good idea or a waste?

kzybulew

Cross posted in PR Port, but didn't get any replies so thought I'd post in family...

We will be arriving in San Juan at around 3pm, departing midnight (June 5th) on the Carnival Miracle. We have a four-year old boy. He's more interested in cars/trains than pirates/castles/forts. He loves to swim. I'm not sure he'd really enjoy the sights of Old San Juan/the fort...

When I booked the cruise I didn't realize we'd be in port so late... I wish we would be there early enough to go to the children's museum, but alas, we won't be.

So I'm thinking of booking a room at either the Intercontinental or the El San Juan so we'd have use of a pool/facilities/beachfront for while we're in port.

But then again, that doesn't seem SO different from what he could do if we just stayed on the ship. Also, if the weather is poor, I guess it won't make sense to go to the hotel/resort and I'll be out that money... but I would like him/us to have an experience while in PR and take advantage of the fact we ARE at a beautiful, tropical island.

Is any one familiar with how much the cab fare is and what the transit time would be for three adults and a child to go from where the Miracle will dock to the area where those two hotels are located?

what do you think?

thanks!

I don't know anything about Puerto Rico specifically, so I can't answer those questions. Rather than getting a hotel room though, why don't you just go to the beach somewhere? Being at a hotel and using their pool wouldn't really give you a tropical island experience, but going to the beach would. You could bring your luggage to the ship first, or you could find a hotel that will hold it for you at the concierege desk (many will do so for a small fee). Have fun!

If you dock at 3PM- then it is a bit late in the day to do the beach/pool. Your son is 4- take him to the fort. I don't know what you mean that a child that age isn't into forts.... has he ever seen one? And when? He's 4. The thing about the fort is there is plenty of room there to run around on the grassy parklike lawn. There will be people flying kites and other kids there. Both my sons liked the fort. There is a gyser fountain across the street from the fort that the locals play in. My son (4 at the the time) loved it and it was free and in walking distance of the ship. After a long hot walk around San Juan, he really enjoyed kicking his shoes off, taking off his shirt and running thru the fountain. Was a great time.

San Juan is perhaps one of the only islands in the Caribbean with an old town. It is very historic and I personally don't consider this much of a "tropical" beach spot. It is more of an historic stop. Do a beach day at one of the other islands- which have better beaches anyway.

Pick up a kite from Walmart for a couple of dollars and lots of string. Take your son to the Fort and enjoy a marvellous hour or two flying a kite. We (all in our 50s) did this last time we were in PR since we had previously toured the Fort we knew there was an awesome area outside the Fort -- perfect for kite flying. Pics in the link below.

Have fun.

Kathy:)

We are also on the Miracle but in August. We are using the San Juan day for doing things other than the beach since we will have the sea days before and my DD is pretty fair and too much sun is not a good thing. I think that Tortola and St. Thomas are better beach days.

I do not know about this but I read on various threads that some hotels/beach resorts start to collect the chairs and things at the beach in the afternoon about 4-5pm. I would not be too happy if I had paid for a room and could not have a chair to sit in. If you do book a room, check to see what the hours are for all the ammenities so you are not surprised.

3pm will be a little late in the day for the beach, and the closest beach in San Juan is Condado (sp?), and it's a nice place, but the waves were very big. Would be hard for a 4 year old to get in. I would just try the forts for a little while, and if it doesn't seem that you all are having fun, head back to the ship and pool. Either way--enjoy the cruise!!

We departed from San Juan a few weeks ago. The published sail time was about 9 or 10 p.m., but all aboard was MUCH earlier. Do check to see what time you must be onboard. It is likely very different from the midnight sail time.

If you do one or both forts, you can take the FREE trolley which stops across the street from the pier. If you go to only 1 fort, which is all you probably have time for, go to Del Morro. The forts are really inexpensive. I believe we paid $10 for 2 of us to go to both forts.

Cross posted in PR Port, but didn't get any replies so thought I'd post in family...

We will be arriving in San Juan at around 3pm, departing midnight (June 5th) on the Carnival Miracle.

what do you think?

thanks!

I do not know where you are flying from.......but arriving in San Juan at 3 PM is late in the day.......you have to get luggage and go thru immigration.........you won't get anywhere until 4 PM.........and think about jet lag.......you will be tired.

I would head for the ship and relax there........hit the ship's pool......... and eat.

Archived