Rome-Suggestions for Tours Outside Of Rome

My husband and I are on The Celebrity Summit July 10, 2008 and we have already been to Rome for 3 days. We are with 2 other couples and would love to have some other suggestions for tours outside of Rome. I hear Tuscany and Umbria are beautiful but not sure what to do. We would love to see the gorgeous scenery and do some shopping but also would like to have some history as well. The problem is the tour companies offer a variety of private tours but I need some guidance which are the prefered ones.:)

I would appreciate anyones input on this matter.

Thanks

We rented a car in Civitavecchia, and drove to Civita di Bagneregio. We could have as easily gone to any number of other places, including Tarquina, Viterbo, etc. You could also consider Orvieto, but it is a bit further so it would depend on how long you are in port.

You could also go to Ostia Antico and the Lido di Ostia.

I think it depends a great deal on your interests. I know you mentioned scenery, shopping and history.

It seems you are leaning toward taking a private tour. I would contact a variety of those recommended on this forum, and pose your question to them. I expect they'll be able to make some suggestions, and then from among those, you can choose the one that most appeals.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

The prevois poster gave you some great idea's..I will say that a day in Tuscany is really not doable for all you want to do and see from the port of Rome.I have made that run from Rome not on a cruise and it was a VERY VERY long day and that was not seeing much and with a driver.I would save Tuscany for another trip or a day trip if you are at the port for Florence.Just a thought...

Is this for a pre- or post-cruise, or are you looking for something different to do when the ship docks near Rome?

If you are doing this pre- or post-cruise, I would suggest spending the night in the Tuscany area instead of in Rome. A couple of years ago we flew into Rome in the evening and spent the night in Rome. Early the next morning, Stefano from Rome Cabs picked up 4 of us and we drove to Monterigioni, Siena, and spent the night in San Gimignano. We stayed at the Hotel Cistern, a charming hotel within the walls of San G., with unbelievable views from the balcony. The next morning, Stefano drove us to the port, with stops to see Etruscan artifacts.

As other posters have indicated, if this is just a one-day venture, then this is really too far to venture to have adequate time to experience Tuscany.

Thanks for all your ideas.

Rome is just one of the stops on the cruise. It is not a pre or post but we have 12 hours at the port.

What was the name of the company that took you to Civita di Bagnoregio and Orvieto.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Is this for a pre- or post-cruise, or are you looking for something different to do when the ship docks near Rome?

If you are doing this pre- or post-cruise, I would suggest spending the night in the Tuscany area instead of in Rome. A couple of years ago we flew into Rome in the evening and spent the night in Rome. Early the next morning, Stefano from Rome Cabs picked up 4 of us and we drove to Monterigioni, Siena, and spent the night in San Gimignano. We stayed at the Hotel Cistern, a charming hotel within the walls of San G., with unbelievable views from the balcony. The next morning, Stefano drove us to the port, with stops to see Etruscan artifacts.

As other posters have indicated, if this is just a one-day venture, then this is really too far to venture to have adequate time to experience Tuscany.

That is interesting, Stefano is driving us to San Gimignano and Siena the day before our cruise, but we are going back to Rome. How did that affect your price as he is per hour and I assume you had to but him up at this hotel? Still, not a bad idea as the next day he is giving us a half day tour and then driving us to the port.

What is in Monterigioni? A driver last year in Florence mentioned an interesting small town. He told me the name wich stated with an "M', and said it was a good stop to combine with Siena. Thanks.

Thanks for all your ideas.

Rome is just one of the stops on the cruise. It is not a pre or post but we have 12 hours at the port.

What was the name of the company that took you to Civita di Bagnoregio and Orvieto.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Hi,

Our tour was arranged by Claudio from http://www.limoinrome.com

E-mail caponera.claudio@tiscali.it

Our driver was Roberto and I can't say enough good things. Friendly and professional.

Assisi is also a nice day-trip (definitely a FULL day, though). There are numerous trains back and forth to Rome every day, very easy to get there and back. The town is small and they work hard to maintain its medieval feel--at the same time, it is full of tourists so it's easy to get information, ask directions, etc. because they're used to it. It's positively gorgeous, clean, jam-packed with history, and the Giotto frescoes in the Basilica of St. Francis are like nothing you'll see anywhere else.

Archived