Fitting fins

Should be snug but comfortable. If it's loose, they might slip off while swimming. Booties are worn with open back type fins only. You don't need anything for closed back type, though my husband wear old socks with his. He doesn't like rubber rubbing against his skin.

I've purchased a couple of those inexpensive sets at Sam's for the family. How are the finns supposed to fit across the front of the foot-snug, loose? Also, do you wear socks or booties with them?

Thanks.

Hi,

Agreed, snug. I've had to "rescue" several fins for people in the past who wore them too loose. Also you can get 3mm neoprene socks for them to help prevent rubbing and sores from having the harder fins contacting your feet. The link below gives you an example if you're interested. They're readily available and I'd definitely shop around.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/BLRNDSS.html?Search=op%3ddtSearch%26Term%3dsocks%26SearchFlag%3dall%26AdvSrchSortField%3dRelevance%26DescSort%3d0%26Description%3don%26Hit%3d1

Randall

Thanks y'all for the help. I got a slightly larger size (open backs) and think we will wear some watershoes with them. They seem to fit best that way. If our luggage is w/in weight will take fins with us.

Now if I can just get past panicking when I can't breath through my nose:o

Just relax and you'll be fine. Breath slow and easy. You'll get hang of it quickly enough. As long as you keep your common sense with you, it's an easy and safe sport.

My husband use an old pair of sports socks to snorkel with. Unless you become serious about snorkeling, an old T-shirt, and maybe leggies, will keep you warm enough. If you are going to snorkel a lot, then it's worth investing in wet suits and booties, but for occassional snorkelers, those things are waste of money in my opinion.

Just relax and you'll be fine. Breath slow and easy. You'll get hang of it quickly enough. As long as you keep your common sense with you, it's an easy and safe sport.

My husband use an old pair of sports socks to snorkel with. Unless you become serious about snorkeling, an old T-shirt, and maybe leggies, will keep you warm enough. If you are going to snorkel a lot, then it's worth investing in wet suits and booties, but for occassional snorkelers, those things are waste of money in my opinion.

OK, so slow and easy breathing it is. Thanks for the advice. Yes, no suits or booties at this time.

You mentioned you bought fins with the straps on the back, so yes, wear your watershoes to keep the strap from rubbing away the skin off your feet. I would also suggest purchasing a rash guard with UV protection. They sell them as shirts, or a full body suit. They are not too expensive but worth it. Nothing worse then getting a bad sunburn that could ruin the rest of your vacation.

You'll get the hang of breathing out of your snorkel. Practice out of the water. Once you're in the water and if it's a good site, you won't even think about it because you'll be so overwhelmed at the underwater beauty. Kids especially!

If you are worried about floating, remember, salt water is more bouyant and easier to float in. You could rent or purchase a water noodle to hold onto, which helps. They also sell and rent snorkel vests.

Best advice - DO IT, You'll love it!

Thanks, Laura! Will look into the shirts. Have got "70" sunscreen and plan to apply often.

Hope you didn't pay alot for it. Anything above 30 really does not provide more protection.

Archived