Booking Question.

cruzmaven

I'm getting ready to book a holiday cruise on Equinox for 12/09. I would prefer to book directly with Celebrity instead of using a TA. I like being able to deal with X directly should I have to make changes or have questions and they will not talk to you if you have a TA.

It seems to me though that since X would pay a TA a commission of about 10% or more, I should be able to get a discount of some sort from X for booking directly with them, either a lower fare or OBC. I odn't expect to get the equivilent of the full commission but something would be nice since X stands to make more from my fare than they will from others booking through TA's.

In the past, I haven't had any luck in this regard. Is there some special language to use (other than "May I have a discount please?") or someone special to ask to speak to other than the reservation agent that picks up the call?

Do the reservation yourself and just before final payment is due, switch to a TA that will give you a perk such as OBC, pre-paid tips or free insurance. You have the best of both worlds: the ability to deal directly with the cruiseline and the discount you desirel :D

Do the reservation yourself and just before final payment is due, switch to a TA that will give you a perk such as OBC, pre-paid tips or free insurance. You have the best of both worlds: the ability to deal directly with the cruiseline and the discount you desirel :D

In my opinion, that's sort of like telling the travel agent "I obviously don't need you, but I'm switching to you at the last minute so I will have someone to blame if things go wrong. Plus, you give me free crap."

It just seems a little insulting to the TA, so either use one to take care of everything for you (that's their job!) or do it yourself and leave the agent out of it.

There's really no harm in asking the Celebrity agent if there are any applicable discounts for you. They are more than used to those things, and maybe they're available but they aren't willing to apply them unless someone specifically asks. Say: "I normally go with a travel agent, but I was wondering if the cost is cheaper doing it directly through the cruiseline. Can you explain to me the cost differences."

You also might want to be prepared to hear that the prices are the same. The price quoted through our travel agency was exactly the same as what we received by calling Celebrity directly, right down to the penny.

Just tried to book. Was offered nothing by way of discount or OBC. :(

The cruise I'm looking at is an 11 day holiday cruise so it isn't cheap, and I'm looking for an AC cabin. It would be a decent commission for a TA, I'm surprised that X doesn't offer any incentive to book directly.

Guess I'll go ahead and talk to some TA's before I book it myself.

The cruiselines really don't want all direct bookings...the cost of hiring and training etc the number of agents they would need is far higher than the commissions they pay out to TA's..not to mention the customer service issues they would be handling....TA's account for over 60% of cruiseline bookings. If the cruiselines discounted below the agencies rates, they would be losing the agency's business quickly and they don't want that. Shop around for a good TA..ask questions about cancellation charges, if they will honor price drops, change fee's etc. The lowest price is not always the best....Work with someone that you feel comfortable with...do they return your calls or emails promptly, do they seem knowledgeable about the cruise you will be taking?

In my opinion, that's sort of like telling the travel agent "I obviously don't need you, but I'm switching to you at the last minute so I will have someone to blame if things go wrong. Plus, you give me free crap."

It just seems a little insulting to the TA, so either use one to take care of everything for you (that's their job!) or do it yourself and leave the agent out of it.

That's one of the most bizarre things I've read on here! Trust me, I don't think there is a single TA who would feel insulted if they got a call at the last minute from a client who said "I don't need any of your services other than for you to book the cabin...what kind of OBC can you offer?" The TA will make a commission on the deal, you'll get your cabin at a better price (some online TA's will actually take the OBC off the final payment, so it ends up being just a discount) and Celebrity gets you on their ship. Everybody is happy.

I have zero need for the services of a TA, beyond booking the cabin. I most certainly would NEVER allow a TA to just "take care of everything" for me. I do my own research, choose my own cruise, book my own pre- and post-cruise hotels, arrange my own (usually private) tours, buy my own insurance. What do I need a TA for? One reason only: the OBC. Celebrity can't give it to you, but a TA can. And they still make money, so believe me that there is no "insult" involved. If anything, they'll be quite happy to do LESS work, and still make their commission. Can you imagine ANY small business owner who wouldn't be quite happy to get a client who hands them a sale on which they make money, but have to do virtually no work?

What do I need a TA for? One reason only: the OBC.

And that's what I personally find insulting: you just basically said you're using someone and that just doesn't sit with me or the few travel agents I've spoken to.

At the end of the day, I would rather have repeat customers (and lots of work!) because I did a good job and provided a service they really appreciated.... not because I paid them $250 to call me. Sure, I'd get the commision either way, but damned if I wouldn't feel useless when it's over.

Either way, it's just one opinion... and judging from these boards, the cheese stands alone!

And that's what I personally find insulting: you just basically said you're using someone and that just doesn't sit with me or the few travel agents I've spoken to.

At the end of the day, I would rather have repeat customers (and lots of work!) because I did a good job and provided a service they really appreciated.... not because I paid them $250 to call me. Sure, I'd get the commision either way, but damned if I wouldn't feel useless when it's over.

Either way, it's just one opinion... and judging from these boards, the cheese stands alone!

I'm in agreement with you. We use a TA that is in another state. We've never met in person, but have built up a phone relationship that has been invaluable for us.

We have used them for quite a few years, and have referred many friends and family to them also. They provide us with the cabin of our choice...knowing that once in awhile we'll cancel a particular cruise, and book another...but never have they charged us a cancellation fee...never complained regarding questions we might have...and always have been courteous, prompt in replying, and patient when handling numerous inquiries.

And yes, they give us very nice OBC and gifts. We wouldn't think of choosing another TA!

X wants you to use a TA. If they wanted all the direct bookings they could take them. Their poor customer service is proof they don't want all the bookings. If they did, they'd do a better job training

I'm not sure that I totally agree that Celebrity's customer service is poor. Several weeks ago I called Celebrity asking for some specific info on the Equinox which they couldn't supply me with at the time. Lo and behold I got a call from Celebrity later on with someone leaving their name and number and telling me that they would be my "personal planner" should I need one. I didn't return the call since I had already booked my cruise with a TA. Maybe I should have returned that call just to see what they would offer???

Not quite alone..I'm right there with you! If a client doesn't trust me to make their reservation, I really don't need their money....busy with repeat clients also....

Okay I'll try this explanation again.

I do not feel I am "using" my TA. I am "doing business with" my TA. I have no need for a TA's services beyond simply booking the cabin. I don't need advice, suggestions, research, hand-holding, or anything else. Since I do not need these things, I see no reason to ask a TA to do them. Why waste their time?

Clearly there are enough less-experienced and less-independent travelers who benefit from all of those services. I am not one of them, and I do not particularly appreciate being told that I am "using" or "insulting" TA's when I call one to purchase what they are selling.

At the end of the day, all TA's are salespeople. They are selling a product: travel. I am a customer - I am buying what they are selling. No more, no less. This is not a social relationship; I do not need to make my TA my friend. I simply need to buy a cruise. I'd like to know how that is insulting to anyone.

Please note that I am a small business owner myself: I am a freelance writer/trainer/designer. I have plenty of customers who require lots of advice, suggestions, and assistance on their projects. I also have clients who call me up knowing exactly what they want, give me specific directions on what to do, and, once I do it, pay me. I most certainly do not feel used or insulted by that. In fact, it is those clients that allow me to have the TIME to devote to my clients who need more hand-holding.

If a TA felt insulted by my request to purchase a cruise from them because I didn't want them to do more work on it, I would simply take my business elsewhere - to a TA who appreciates an educated, independent consumer who wants nothing more than a straight business relationship. I can assure you there are plenty of them out there who want, and appreciate, my business.

I also do not feel I am a "cheese standing alone". If you read more threads on this board, you will find cruisers of all different levels of experience and independence - some who want to build long-term relationships with TA's and make their choices based on the level of service provided, and others who, like me, want only to buy a cabin, and make our choices based on who's going to give the best price, which in the case of these cruises translates to the highest OBC.

Okay I'll try this explanation again.

I do not feel I am "using" my TA. I am "doing business with" my TA. I have no need for a TA's services beyond simply booking the cabin. I don't need advice, suggestions, research, hand-holding, or anything else. Since I do not need these things, I see no reason to ask a TA to do them. Why waste their time?

Clearly there are enough less-experienced and less-independent travelers who benefit from all of those services. I am not one of them, and I do not particularly appreciate being told that I am "using" or "insulting" TA's when I call one to purchase what they are selling.

At the end of the day, all TA's are salespeople. They are selling a product: travel. I am a customer - I am buying what they are selling. No more, no less. This is not a social relationship; I do not need to make my TA my friend. I simply need to buy a cruise. I'd like to know how that is insulting to anyone.

Please note that I am a small business owner myself: I am a freelance writer/trainer/designer. I have plenty of customers who require lots of advice, suggestions, and assistance on their projects. I also have clients who call me up knowing exactly what they want, give me specific directions on what to do, and, once I do it, pay me. I most certainly do not feel used or insulted by that. In fact, it is those clients that allow me to have the TIME to devote to my clients who need more hand-holding.

If a TA felt insulted by my request to purchase a cruise from them because I didn't want them to do more work on it, I would simply take my business elsewhere - to a TA who appreciates an educated, independent consumer who wants nothing more than a straight business relationship. I can assure you there are plenty of them out there who want, and appreciate, my business.

I also do not feel I am a "cheese standing alone". If you read more threads on this board, you will find cruisers of all different levels of experience and independence - some who want to build long-term relationships with TA's and make their choices based on the level of service provided, and others who, like me, want only to buy a cabin, and make our choices based on who's going to give the best price, which in the case of these cruises translates to the highest OBC.

I understand your point of view, but there are many consumers that want to build a working relationship with the people they do business with. My working relationship with my TA has been a good one. It's based upon honesty, trust, and professionalism. These attributes are of value to me.

I don't want to hop-scotch from one TA to another. We usually take 3 cruise per year, and thus there is quite a bit of communication between the TA and myself. We know what to expect from another.

I understand your point of view, but there are many consumers that want to build a working relationship with the people they do business with. My working relationship with my TA has been a good one. It's based upon honesty, trust, and professionalism. These attributes are of value to me.

I don't want to hop-scotch from one TA to another. We usually take 3 cruise per year, and thus there is quite a bit of communication between the TA and myself. We know what to expect from another.

Yes, I agree there are many consumers who wish to do business with TA's as you describe...as I said in my post. However, I do not see anyone saying that those consumers are being "insulting" or "using". I alone am being painted with that brush, solely because I simply do not require these additional services, and choose to shop around.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with EITHER way of doing business. We all choose our vendors based on what we need. I have little use for a long-term business relationship with a TA. What for? I am a frequent traveler, and in fact some of my friends have suggested I should BECOME a TA since I know so much about travel planning! (No interest - I like what I do better. ;)) So for me, I see no reason NOT to "hopscotch" around for the best deal.

It's not all that dissimilar from buying car. My husband is sort of a gear-head and knows LOTS about cars. When we need to buy a car, he does all the research, and knows exactly what he wants, down to the last feature. We will shop around until we can find the specific vehicle we want, at the absolute lowest price. Other car-buyers need more help in making their decisions, and choose to build a relationship with a car salesperson, so they can feel confident that the advice and suggestions they are getting will be geared towards their needs. We don't need a relationship, we need a car. That's just us. Neither way is better or worse...just different requirements.

And I daresay that when we walk into a car dealership and hand a salesperson a list of what we are looking for, and tell him that if he can give us that exact car today, with the best deal, we'll hand him our money and drive off...I can assure you he doesn't feel insulted or used. :cool:

Yes, I agree there are many consumers who wish to do business with TA's as you describe...as I said in my post. However, I do not see anyone saying that those consumers are being "insulting" or "using". I alone am being painted with that brush, solely because I simply do not require these additional services, and choose to shop around.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with EITHER way of doing business. We all choose our vendors based on what we need. I have little use for a long-term business relationship with a TA. What for? I am a frequent traveler, and in fact some of my friends have suggested I should BECOME a TA since I know so much about travel planning! (No interest - I like what I do better. ;)) So for me, I see no reason NOT to "hopscotch" around for the best deal.

It's not all that dissimilar from buying car. My husband is sort of a gear-head and knows LOTS about cars. When we need to buy a car, he does all the research, and knows exactly what he wants, down to the last feature. We will shop around until we can find the specific vehicle we want, at the absolute lowest price. Other car-buyers need more help in making their decisions, and choose to build a relationship with a car salesperson, so they can feel confident that the advice and suggestions they are getting will be geared towards their needs. We don't need a relationship, we need a car. That's just us. Neither way is better or worse...just different requirements.

And I daresay that when we walk into a car dealership and hand a salesperson a list of what we are looking for, and tell him that if he can give us that exact car today, with the best deal, we'll hand him our money and drive off...I can assure you he doesn't feel insulted or used. :cool:

Well we can agree to disagree...

But I'm not buying the car dealership analogy relationship, and the TA relationship. Most people do not buy cars, 2-3 times per year.

Well we can agree to disagree...

But I'm not buying the car dealership analogy relationship, and the TA relationship. Most people do not buy cars, 2-3 times per year.

Umm....I'm not sure we're disagreeing! What exactly are we disagreeing about? I agree there are cruisers like you who prefer to stick with one TA and build a long-term relationship and use all their helfpul services. There are also cruisers like me, who just want to buy that cabin and that's it. Are you disagreeing that I (and others like me) exist? Or are you disagreeing that we're not being insulting and "using" by shopping for our travel the way we do? Because on that point I will not budge - there is absolutely no way that I am being insulting or "using" in my method of cruise shopping.

As for the car thing - hey, maybe you cruise 2-3 times a year, but certainly not everyone does. In fact I'd go as far as saying FEW people are fortunate enough to cruise that often. Once a year (if that) is far more the norm. And lots of people DO buy (or at least lease) new cars every couple of years. So while the frequency of use of these salespeople may be not be exactly identical, I do believe they are close enough for the comparison to be valid. And I'm not really sure about your point anyway - how does the frequency of using the vendor render my analogy invalid? They are both salespeople, selling high-ticket items. Some people stick with one, need lots of hand-holding and advice, and don't shop around. Some people don't need any hand-holding, and do shop around, choosing based on the best price. What in that comparison are you not "buying"?

And I'm curious why you feel the need to disagree at all? It's just different ways we shop for cruises. Mine's no worse than yours. Or is that your point - that there's something somehow wrong with mine?

I appreciate all the people who say they understand what I meant about the rapport with the travel agent .... rather than calling on them just because you can profit from it.

Lee, as a clarification, the point about the "cheese" and "one opinion" was in reference to myself.

I in no way wanted to suggest that one shouldn't be informed and decided on what they want to do with their vacation, nor do I think I did. It was really not the focus of what I was saying.

Either way... I apologize to the OP for going off topic, and hope others can be more helpful in providing information about TA vs. X prices! :)

Umm....I'm not sure we're disagreeing! What exactly are we disagreeing about? I agree there are cruisers like you who prefer to stick with one TA and build a long-term relationship and use all their helfpul services. There are also cruisers like me, who just want to buy that cabin and that's it. Are you disagreeing that I (and others like me) exist? Or are you disagreeing that we're not being insulting and "using" by shopping for our travel the way we do? Because on that point I will not budge - there is absolutely no way that I am being insulting or "using" in my method of cruise shopping.

As for the car thing - hey, maybe you cruise 2-3 times a year, but certainly not everyone does. In fact I'd go as far as saying FEW people are fortunate enough to cruise that often. Once a year (if that) is far more the norm. And lots of people DO buy (or at least lease) new cars every couple of years. So while the frequency of use of these salespeople may be not be exactly identical, I do believe they are close enough for the comparison to be valid. And I'm not really sure about your point anyway - how does the frequency of using the vendor render my analogy invalid? They are both salespeople, selling high-ticket items. Some people stick with one, need lots of hand-holding and advice, and don't shop around. Some people don't need any hand-holding, and do shop around, choosing based on the best price. What in that comparison are you not "buying"?

And I'm curious why you feel the need to disagree at all? It's just different ways we shop for cruises. Mine's no worse than yours. Or is that your point - that there's something somehow wrong with mine?

O.K., I'll try and make myself a bit clearer. I AGREE that we both can DISAGREE with our reasons why we would or would not use a TA.

As far as the car analogy goes...here's an example. My DH buys a new car approxmiately every 3 years. The last 6 times, he has purchased an Accura, and from the same dealership. He diligently does his homework...knows what he wants to purchase the new car for...and always gets a satisfied price. Is this hand holding, just because he has established a long-time relationship with the dealer? Not at all. It's knowing that there has been a trust and honesty factor created between the buyer and the seller.

We can talk this issue to death...but those that do choose to use a TA, based upon a good working relationship, can possibly benefit in the long run. OBC's, cabin choices (Aft cabins, Suites, etc.).

Neither one of us is right or wrong. We just choose to make our choices, based upon different criterias.

I appreciate all the people who say they understand what I meant about the rapport with the travel agent .... rather than calling on them just because you can profit from it.

Lee, as a clarification, the point about the "cheese" and "one opinion" was in reference to myself.

I in no way wanted to suggest that one shouldn't be informed and decided on what they want to do with their vacation, nor do I think I did. It was really not the focus of what I was saying.

Either way... I apologize to the OP for going off topic, and hope others can be more helpful in providing information about TA vs. X prices! :)

I find it necessary to point out that I do not consider my shopping around as "profiting from" the TA. That phrase holds a negative connotation...which is the thrust of all of my last posts. It has been said in here that my method of cruise shopping is "insulting" and "using", and I strongly disagree.

I consider it to be nothing more than smart shopping. Do you shop around for anything? When you do, and you find a better price and buy it there, do you consider yourself having "profited from" the vendor to whom you ultimately gave your business? Is there any reason I should be made to feel bad for choosing to pay less?

I do apologize for misinterpreting your "cheese" comment.

O.K., I'll try and make myself a bit clearer. I AGREE that we both can DISAGREE with our reasons why we would or would not use a TA.

As far as the car analogy goes...here's an example. My DH buys a new car approxmiately every 3 years. The last 6 times, he has purchased an Accura, and from the same dealership. He diligently does his homework...knows what he wants to purchase the new car for...and always gets a satisfied price. Is this hand holding, just because he has established a long-time relationship with the dealer? Not at all. It's knowing that there has been a trust and honesty factor created between the buyer and the seller.

We can talk this issue to death...but those that do choose to use a TA, based upon a good working relationship, can possibly benefit in the long run. OBC's, cabin choices (Aft cabins, Suites, etc.).

Neither one of us is right or wrong. We just choose to make our choices, based upon different criterias.

:::sigh:::

Okay, so I give up on trying to make my point about the car dealer. Keep in mind my primary objective was to defend myself against the comments in here that MY method of cruise shopping is "insulting".

I have no problem with anyone's choice in how they shop - car, cruise, shoes, bread. I do not believe any of you (OR me!) are insulting or wrong or "using" or "profiting from" the salespeople to whom we give our business. So I am very grateful that you finally acknowledged that there is nothing wrong with my method...because that is really all I've been looking for.

Think about that the next time you comparison-shop for anything...because that is all I'm doing.

Archived