When to take dramamine??

kowkitty

Hi to everyone!

Im leaving on my second cruise this Saturday. We are going on the Carnival Triumph.

I like to take a non-drowsy dramamine when we go on cruises. Its been awhile and dont recall what advice I was given last time.

Should I take one every night before bed starting the night before the cruise?

I think thats what I had done last time and it worked perfectly!!

We even hit a storm and had some really rough seas, ship was rocking all over the place and I was fine.

Thanks for any advice

Hi to everyone!

Im leaving on my second cruise this Saturday. We are going on the Carnival Triumph.

I like to take a non-drowsy dramamine when we go on cruises. Its been awhile and dont recall what advice I was given last time.

We even hit a storm and had some really rough seas, ship was rocking all over the place and I was fine.

Thanks for any advice

Definitely start taking them a day or two before you cruise. I get nauseous on any kind of boat. If I wait until the day of, I always become ill.

The night time taking is a good idea. That way if it does cause any drowsiness etc. it will be at night when you are wanting to sleep anyway.

Personally, We use the Meclazine. It is the active ingredient in Bonine. You can go to a pharmacy and ask for it over the counter. Last we bought was $10.00 for 100 pills. Much cheaper than any other OTC remedy we have found.

Enjoy your Cruise!:D

I just took bonine and i started taking it the day of but again i have never been seasick.. just don't want to experience it.. i didn't take it on days we were in port until we sailed away. . also used the sea bands just on the nights it was alittle more rough. I never had an issue. . lol i think it was more in my head than anything else.

For you take it a day or two before like the other posters suggested.

Hi to everyone!

Thanks for any advice

What do the instructions on the bottle say? As for what time to take it, if it doesn't specify a certain time, I agree with those who say take it at night before bed.

I swear by the Bonine. I started it the morning we flew to Florida (the day before the cruise) and continued it, every morning, until we were home for 2 days. It takes me a couple days to get back to normal after we get home, so I keep it going. It really didn't make me tired at all. I think the directions say you can take two. I only take one - maybe that is why. Have a great time!

Good Morning,

I think you're getting good advice according to my DH. If you read the instructions on Bonine, I believe it will be a non-drowsy formula, so I don't think it will mess with your sleep. Dramamine came out with a non-drowsy also. DH uses either before bed, but prefers Bonine.

Good Luck and Happy Cruising!

The night time taking is a good idea. That way if it does cause any drowsiness etc. it will be at night when you are wanting to sleep anyway.

Personally, We use the Meclazine. It is the active ingredient in Bonine. You can go to a pharmacy and ask for it over the counter. Last we bought was $10.00 for 100 pills. Much cheaper than any other OTC remedy we have found.

Enjoy your Cruise!:D

I failed to read the directions on the Meclizine and thinking it was just like Bonine, I took one. Well, after 2 days of being seasick I decided to read the instructions.. It says 2 to 4 tablets.. No wonder..

Just a heads up, it takes more of the Meclizine to equal the Bonine..

Me, my DS and DH have all used Bonine (they make it for kids also) usually after dinner or thereabouts. I think you only need one maybe two pills per day..........anyway, none of us have had any problems sleeping or with drowsiness. It works for us!

The past two posts just underscore the importance of reading the instructions on the bottle so that you are properly medicated. Similar medicines may not have identical dosages or recommendations of how many pills to take. Also look for warnings related to interaction with alcohol or other meds.

Good luck.

I get really seasick and i take 1 aday. I take the first one at noon when i board and then the same time every day. We have been on 10 cruises and i have never been sick. I use Bonine.

Bonine and Dramamine II are brand names for the active ingredient meclazine. Read the specifics from this link:

http://www.peacehealth.org/kbase/multum/d00859a1.htm

Yes, but original Dramamine is actually dimenhydrinate.

Anecdotal reports indicate large individual differences in the effectiveness of antihistamines as antimotion sickness drugs. Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) appears to be the most effective. The usual adult dosage is 50 mg, which typically produces some drowsiness and minor dizziness. (9) It is not recommended when driving or working around machinery, but can be a good choice for long exposure to mild-to-moderate motion.(18)

Meclizine (Bonine, Antivert) has a slower onset and longer duration (12 to 24 hours) of action than the other antihistamines. The slower onset may be why it also has a lower efficacy rating. Side effects include drowsiness, dry mouth, blurred vision, and dizziness. (9)

This is from a web site about motion sickness:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:O0Lu_8tjfDIJ:www.motionsickness.net/aboutms.html+dramamine+vs.+bonine&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

Just from reading these boards, it appears to me that Meclizine is more popular because it seems to have less sedating effects. According to this web site, Dramamine is more effective. But I couldn't say for sure.

Archived