Seasickness?

svagariy

I was looking around the boards but couldn't really find an appropriate thread for this question. I just had a question about otc medicines for seasickness.

I don't usually get motion sickness & have never experienced sea sickness. However, the longest time I've ever been on a large ship was a couple of hours in Canada. Just to be on the safe side I was thinking of bringing along some otc medicines. I've come across Bonine and Dramamine. Just wondering if other people have tried any of these two before and what their preferences are in terms of effectiveness and side effects (i.e. drowsiness). Thanks!

Oo, do a search of this board and you will find hundreds of threads about this. The active ingredient in both Bonine and Dramamine is Mecclazine. It can be bought OTC very inexpensively (like 100 pills for $10)- it's kept with the other two and I've had really good results with it. I start a couple of days before the cruise to get used to the meds and then just take it once a day on the ship. I literally can get sea sick in a bathtub and it works fine for me, with very little drowsiness (most of that can be attributed to jet lag as well)

Have a good cruise!

Lot's of people recommend Bonine, just make sure it's in your system a few days before. Along with that you can also take ginger pills. Can get them otc and some take both the bonine and the ginger pills to be extra, extra safe.

If you haven't been sick on small boats, or in the car then the chances are pretty good you won't get seasick (unless the seas are really rough).

Bonine is a brand name for meclizine, which is available over the counter at most druggists.

Dramamine's active ingredient is an antihistamine (same as the sleepy drug in Tylenol PM).

Less Drowsy Dramamine also has the active ingredient meclizine.

Everyone is different, but I'm sleeping for 12 hours if I take Dramamine. Many people find that meclizine makes them quite sleepy, so they take 1/2 to 1 tablet at night before bed. Most of these medications work better if you take them for the entire sailing, not just when seas are rough.

Other choices are the scopolomine patch (which is what I swear by - but then I know I am super seasick), sea bands (available at most pharmacies), and ginger tablets/caplets. Rest assured that if you find yourself in the throes of nausea on board the ship they will give you a shot that will knock you out for 24 hours, but you'll be free of seasickness afterwards!

I had gotten really ill once years ago so I stocked up on over the counter meds, bonine, ginger and dramamine. I had to see my doctor about two weeks before my cruise and I asked him what he recommends. He didn't suggest the patch because of side effects, but he did give me a perscription for Phenergan. It is a common nausea medicine given after surgeries, etc., It is not a preventive, it is to be used after you get sick. He also said that is what the ship's doctor would give, by injection, if you got unbearably sick.

After all that, I didn't even have a touch of seasickness. Hope you are lucky too. My cruise was wonderful, can't wait to go again.

I had gotten really ill once years ago so I stocked up on over the counter meds, bonine, ginger and dramamine. I had to see my doctor about two weeks before my cruise and I asked him what he recommends. He didn't suggest the patch because of side effects, but he did give me a perscription for Phenergan. It is a common nausea medicine given after surgeries, etc., It is not a preventive, it is to be used after you get sick. He also said that is what the ship's doctor would give, by injection, if you got unbearably sick.

After all that, I didn't even have a touch of seasickness. Hope you are lucky too. My cruise was wonderful, can't wait to go again.

I use Phenergan as a preventative all the time when cruising and it works very well...

s a first time cruiser I have no idea if I will get seasick. Our cruise in next july around the Med.

Do I start taking something just incase? or wait and see how i feel onboard. I have heard that summer in the Med should be quite smooth sailing. We are travelling from Southampton

• 2 weeks later...

All I could find at Walmart pharmacy is something called ginger root. Is this what I should bring or is there a better item. I am a first timer and can deep sea fish without getting sick but want to be prepared just in case.

The non drowsy Demamine worked great for me and I never got drowsy (before the drinks :rolleyes: ). I waited to take it before the ship took off just to see if I needed it. I did! I took one and laid down for a bit and was fine, but I knew to take one pill twice a day after that! And happy40th, ginger is just one big root, so ginger root pills are exactally what you are looking for. Ok ginger root isn't big... but you get what I mean!

Archived