Internet on the Mariner

First I know-Leave it at home! But in this case it's needed-really (-:

How does the whole cable hookup in your room go? Do you pay for your time on line like in the internet lounge? Thanks Cruise Critic Buddies

The only system you'll have in your room is Cyber Cabin, which is a dial up service at about 44Kbaud. You pick up a kit from the Purser's desk (first come, first served) and pay for it there, one charge for the whole cruise (which I think answers your question). Plug in from your modem (not the network jack, the phone plug), if you don't have a modem and lots of new laptops don't, you can't use Cyber Cabin. Hope that helps.

There are also wi-fi spots on the ship. We were on Mariner last June and our cabin was on deck 6 over the Promenade Cafe; we had wireless right in the cabin. You still pay for it though. However, if you are a Crown and Anchor member you get a coupon book with some free minutes, and these only work on the ship's computers.

The only system you'll have in your room is Cyber Cabin, which is a dial up service at about 44Kbaud. You pick up a kit from the Purser's desk (first come, first served) and pay for it there, one charge for the whole cruise (which I think answers your question). Plug in from your modem (not the network jack, the phone plug), if you don't have a modem and lots of new laptops don't, you can't use Cyber Cabin. Hope that helps.

I tried the Cyber Cabin last month and it would not work. You actually receive another cabin phone (larger than a normal one) that you replace your current phone with. I installed all of it and kept getting an error message saying their system wasn't answering. I took it back on Tuesday morning and they refunded all of the charge. Obviously it is common for them not to work and be returned.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived