NYC where to Stay

My daughter is getting married June 15, 2009, on the Triumph, out of NYC to Canada.

Okay, we live upstate NY. We plan to go down the night before. Does anyone have a suggestion of where to stay? Carnival did not have any information yet.

We plan to take train down the day before. There is a group of us. That is why we are not flying, some guests don't like to fly.

We are leaving from the NYC port. Would like to find something in the vincinity.

we are staying at the courtyard marriott upper eastside...I will be getting married June 28th, 2008 and we will have 50 people cruising with us on the Carnival Victory...from talking with our travel agent and looking at the pictures online it seems to be nice and reasonable

Hi I was married on the Carnival Legend in NYC three years ago.

The port that your daughter will be married at is on the West side of mid-town and it is several blocks west of Times Square and the Broadway district. AMTRAC will take you to Penn Station about 8 blocks north and a block or so west of the this district.

Hotels are expensive around Times Square but there is a Marriott Court Yard in that area. I would recommend staying on the West Side because it will be easier to get to the pier either by a short cab ride or on foot. Also, there are more fun things to do in this area.

Freinds of mine stayed on the east side and the cab ride cost them about $50 to the pier and back.

engagedonthesea is right. you might consider paying more for the area around times square or in the 50s on or west of 6th avenue. just do a search on any one of the other travel sites for hotels to get an idea of which are in the area -- most of them are brand names.

Arrange for a car service (they charge a flat rate) to take you to the pier -- here's one website https://www.dial7.com/reservation.asp -- they're basically a corporate car service but do regular calls as well or ask the hotel for a number for a local car service or look on citysearch.com because you don't want to run a meter getting to the pier. Traffic over there can be horrible and it can take you 20 minutes from making the turn to getting dropped off -- all while the meter's running.

If you find something that you need more help on you can post here and i'll ask around for you.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I live and work in NYC commute to Penn Station everyday which is where the Amtrak station is....

One option you might want to consider it the Hotel Pennsylvania. I have never stayed thiere...but it is a large hotel right across the street from the entrance to Penn Station. Its a really central area and there are taxi stands right out front so it will be a really easy cab ride to the pire. Also, the NYC waterway offers free buses to Pier 78...(not sure where the cruise terminal is) but the free buses traverse 34th Street at Penn Station... take you right to watter front.

Feel free to ask me if you have any questions.

hotel penn.

www.hotelpenn.com

waterway bus to pier 78 (free)

www.nywaterway.com/Home/TakeaTour/AboutUs/tabid/76/Default.aspx#bus

Archived