RCCL VS Princess

We are looking into cruising Alaska next summer. I was going to book while on Liberty, but the agent told me that the pool is not heated on the ships to Alaska. I got a gut feeling that he was a little uncertain of his answer. The solarium won't do for us since we have children. I did hear though that Princess heats the pools or "a pool". Since many of you have cruised both cruise lines, I figured here might be a good place to ask. Do you have any info about heated pools on either cruise line and how do feel Princess rates to RCCL in terms of service and food quality?

I've been on 2 Princess cruises and loved them both. Very similar to RCI IMHO. I'm not sure about heated pools but I think there was one on the Sea Princess and one on the Island Princess.

I have only cruised on RCCL once, so this is based on that one experience. Myself and others traveling with me talked about this exact topic while on RCCL. We all agreed that RCCL was very nice, but Princess has a better food selection in the DR and the buffet, and even though the food on RCCL is good, Princess is also slightly better. We also all agreed that the mini-suite we had on Princess was slightly nicer then the RCCL mini-suite. Now, maybe we were comparing it taking in to consideration the price difference between the two companies. Each person is different, and many will tell you they like RCCL over Princess. All I can say is I just booked our 2009 vacation, and it's on Princess.

Princess has less children onboard, they don't have as many activites as RCL for kids. If you're doing a land package go princess. RCL used horrible hotels that required a shuttle into town in Denali and the hotels were more like Motel 6 then hotels . princess has it's own hotel which was far superior.

We've been on 3 RCR cruises and have one coming up in July. Two were to the Caribbean and 2 to Mexico. Our Princess Cruise was to Alaska. We have 2 children now 14 and 18. On RCR there was always something to for everone. On Princess, the kids looked into the teen program and didn't even want to sign up. At 10pm, the rolled up the decks and everyone went to sleep! It was a much older crowd. The food was comparable but the service on RCR was much better. More personal. This is compareing one cruise and a very different destination. That said, given the cost of cruises, I have no intention of trying Princess again.

Steve

Having been on both, I think it is an itinerary issue more than anything else. I have booked a Greek Isles cruise on both the Ruby and the Legend OT Seas. Having studied the differences, I am leaning toward RCCL. It has more sea days and seems more relaxing.

Re: pools, Princess has both heated and unheated pools. The big difference is that Princess pools are fresh water whereas RCCL are salt water. That might be important to you. Both, of course, have showers nearby so you can rinse off, if desired.

Food seemed similar but that is a matter of taste. My recent recollection is that Princess had a somewhat more varied selection at dinner than RCCL but again, that is a matter of your own personal preference.

In my opinion, both a good mid priced cruises with good value for the money. So I tend to pick based on itinerary.

Having been on both, I think it is an itinerary issue more than anything else. I have booked a Greek Isles cruise on both the Ruby and the Legend OT Seas. Having studied the differences, I am leaning toward RCCL. It has more sea days and seems more relaxing.

Re: pools, Princess has both heated and unheated pools. The big difference is that Princess pools are fresh water whereas RCCL are salt water. That might be important to you. Both, of course, have showers nearby so you can rinse off, if desired.

Food seemed similar but that is a matter of taste. My recent recollection is that Princess had a somewhat more varied selection at dinner than RCCL but again, that is a matter of your own personal preference.

In my opinion, both a good mid priced cruises with good value for the money. So I tend to pick based on itinerary.

We have sailed RCL a few times. Because of time and itinerary we chose to sail Princess. There is a covered solarium on the Princess ship. Some of RCL's solariums are covered and some are not.

I feel that Princess has more of a choice for lunch in their dining room than does RCL, because it changes everyday. RCL does not change their lunch in the dr. However I like the WJ over the Horizon Court .

I think both lines offer a good product. We do not have young children but we saw more children around on Princess than we did on RCL. On RCL we have traveled in balconies, Jr suites and grandsuites. So traveling in a full suite we were pleased with all the amenities which I feel were a little more than what you get with RCL. Princess does not have a CL as does RCL. I found the differences in the minute aspects, but not enough to cause a person to not sail one over another. I would think price and ports would do that. I am glad I ventured away and tried another line.

I will sail Princess again and we are scheduled for two more on RCL.

We have booked the Pacific Princess in August of 09 for a 14 day Alaska roundtrip out of Seattle.........only 694 passengers!! We can't wait to go back to smaller ships.......we have been on both lines.......you will find them very similar. Choose the itinerary best for you........and the ship you want. You won't go wrong with either.

I would ask the pools question over on the Alaska board (under Ports of Call). A wealth of Alaska input, from people who favor many different cruiselines.

It is my understanding that an "indoor" pool is made available to kids during certain hours during an Alaskan cruise.

I have been researching both RCI and Princess (as well as NCL) for a family Alaskan cruise. I haven't made up my mind, but the biggest difference seems to be the itinerary. Other than that there seem to be a lot more similarities than differences.

Good luck,

PHXscuba

"You can't have everything -- besides, where would you put it all?":D

Archived