Food!

ch6Hi, my name is Hayley and I love to cruise and also eat! But, this year I have developed an eating disorder and I have two cruise this summer and one of them is in 2 weeks! I can not stop thinking about all the food options. Buffet, dining room, grill, chinese, 24 hr pizza and fro-yo and ice cream plus all the little snacks you can bring! I don't know what I'm going to. I am so worried it is going to destroy my vacation and I just keep saying ti's only a week, your on vaca, so enjoy yourself! BUT, my roomate is my aunt who also has an eating disorder! WHAT TO DO?!?

I actively struggled from an eating disorder for 7 years. About 3 years later I went on my cruise. I refused to let myself obsess over food. I ate what I wanted but with moderation. I did not go to the gym because I was not sure if there were scales or not and I did not want to find out. IMHO, the best advice that I can give you is to remember how hard you have worked on yourself and it (the ED) is not worth it. Also, stay busy with the onboard activities and you will be surprised how well you can do. If you have any more specific questions you can email me. @ bbsuteratyahoodotcom.

ch6Hi, my name is Hayley and I love to cruise and also eat! But, this year I have developed an eating disorder and I have two cruise this summer and one of them is in 2 weeks! I can not stop thinking about all the food options. Buffet, dining room, grill, chinese, 24 hr pizza and fro-yo and ice cream plus all the little snacks you can bring! I don't know what I'm going to. I am so worried it is going to destroy my vacation and I just keep saying ti's only a week, your on vaca, so enjoy yourself! BUT, my roomate is my aunt who also has an eating disorder! WHAT TO DO?!?

Nothing has to ruin your vacation, or your life...email me please evamowry at cox dot net :)

I am an alcoholic in recovery and I go to the Friends of Bill W. meetings even when I am on a cruise. If my attitude were, I'm on vacation so I might as well drink (give in to my disease) then I wouldn't have a fun cruise and you might not either if you got in my way :eek:.

I think you need to go on the cruise with the idea that you will manage your disorder the way you have been doing so at home. You can't take a vacation from your disorder.

Get some support, hang in there and have a nice cruise.

I'm not sure what type of eating disorder you may have but one suggestion is to grab the small plate they use for their desserts and work with the small plate. You can't put much on it and if you are still hungry then grab another small plate. One thing that has worked for us here is we are now eating alot slower by putting down the fork and concentrating on what we are chewing by taking in the flavors, that gets me full right away.

Fred

the best thing about a cruise to me is all the options. You can eat as much or as little as you want as often or as infrequently as you want. The portions at dinner are not so much that youwill gorge yourself...except for the prime rib. YUM So even if you eat half of every plate you wont feel stressed about it and you will enjoy every bite. If you eat all of every plate then you still wont feel stressed and still enjoy it.

You are the one in charge of your consumption.

Never mind the fact that you need gas in your tank, the food is GOOD. You don't have to gorge yourself, but try the different dishes and enjoy the different flavors, if you can. Maybe several small meals instead of the usual three? I wish you every success in this difficult time in your life.

Archived