NAUI vs PADI

JoeU

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been answered here or not. I am considering certification (after 3 discover scuba dives), and I was wondering what are the pro's and cons to PADI vs NAUI. I have 2 dive shops within 30 minutes of home. One offers PADI, and the other NAUI. Cost of certification was about the same, so whats the difference???

I just want to make sure I go through the right ceertification that will offer me the most for diving, as well as the training that will make me safe.

Any opinions???

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been answered here or not. I am considering certification (after 3 discover scuba dives), and I was wondering what are the pro's and cons to PADI vs NAUI. I have 2 dive shops within 30 minutes of home. One offers PADI, and the other NAUI. Cost of certification was about the same, so whats the difference???

The MAIN difference will be the instructor and how well you get on with them. The course material is close enough to the same to say it is. Both certifications are recognized world wide. The only actual benefit of having a PADI certification card is that in the unlikely even that you forget to bring your card with you on a trip, a PADI dive operator can look you up online.

You need to interview each instructor and see which one gives you the better feeling and go with them.

Although I am a PADI instructor, I will try and make my opinion unbiased. The training and materials are very similar, both are compliant with the RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Council)and you should be a safe and confident diver after completing either course. The only real difference is size of the organizations. PADI currenly owns about 85% of the worldwide market share for new diver certifications, and as the previous poster stated, it's easy to look up your certification online.

I agree with the previous poster...find an instructor you like. Interview as many as possible, pick the best fit for you, regardless of agency affiliation. Some (lots of)instructors are simply lousy teachers. If you go with an independent, demand to see his or her current instructor card and proof of insurance. Unfortunately, there are people out there who have been banned by their agency but still take on students. If you get one of these shady folks, your certification will not be valid.

Best of Luck,

Dale

PADI OWSI

Although I am a PADI instructor, I will try and make my opinion unbiased. The training and materials are very similar, both are compliant with the RSTC (Recreational Scuba Training Council)and you should be a safe and confident diver after completing either course. The only real difference is size of the organizations. PADI currenly owns about 85% of the worldwide market share for new diver certifications, and as the previous poster stated, it's easy to look up your certification online.

I agree with the previous poster...find an instructor you like. Interview as many as possible, pick the best fit for you, regardless of agency affiliation. Some (lots of)instructors are simply lousy teachers. If you go with an independent, demand to see his or her current instructor card and proof of insurance. Unfortunately, there are people out there who have been banned by their agency but still take on students. If you get one of these shady folks, your certification will not be valid.

Best of Luck,

Dale

PADI OWSI

Ditto to all the above info.

I just want to add how important it is to find an instructor your comfortable with. I had some water issues that concerned me before trying to get cert. I took some swim lessons to feel more comfortable and to pass the swim test. I did fine. But found out I had an issue with clearing my mask and doing the donning of the BC as if you were in the ocean, on the surface and had to put it on. My instructor was awesome. We did 2 private pool sessions and all was well. But had he not been nurturing/reassuring or just a jerk, I might have decided to have venture forward.

I've been complimented several times on my buoyancy and have told him of those compliments.

Still not a beach diver due to my issues. At least in california. lol. If I have a calm area and don't have to tackle a wicked surf zone, I'm cool. lol........

Thanks to everyone for the great info. I never gave the instructor relationship thing any thought. This really makes sense for my wife, who tends to have a tough time with the diving. We're in this together, so I think we'll interview a few instructors. I did speak to the NAUI instructor for a few minutes, and she seemed really nice.

Thanks again for all the great info!

Joe

Archived