Calling home (canada)

Hello all... i am headed on a Southern carribean cruise in August..

Iwant to be able to call home once a day to check on my 2 little girls..

I refuse to pay $6.99 on board the ship :eek: Has anyone dealt with this before?

Are you able to buy calling cards in the ports and do they have payphones you can call on??

Greencruiser17,

I just got back from a Western Caribbean cruise yesterday. I live near Toronto, Ontario.

We did not call from the ship ever as the prices are insane. We didn't bother with email either because it too was rather pricey. You can use your cell phone at sea but we weren't sure of the cost and didn't want to risk it.

We ended up calling home twice using two different methods. In Belize we bought a $5 calling card from a little store inside the tourist gates at the Port and I was able to talk to my mom at home for about 7 or 8 minutes. We ended our call because we were done talking and I still had time left on the card, although I have no idea how much. The $5 card apparently gets you around 8-10 minutes on the phone as many calls as you like to add up to the minutes.

Then in Roatan Honduras there was a little internet and phone hut in the tourist gated area where you could use internet for $.11/minute or the phone for $.75/minute. We called from there for about 3 or 4 minutes which was $3.

If I were you I'd wait until you're in port to call home. You may even want to post this question on the Ports of call forum under each port you're visiting.

Archived