Juneau whale-watch or not

katolb90

Seems like this is the thing to do while in Juneau. However, I planned other activities for that port(which I can easily change). I also am doing the 9 hr Kenai Fjords tour from seward and the 26 glacier cruise from whittier both of which I may see whales on. Will I miss something if I don't do whale watching in Juneau? How's the scenery on the Juneau whale-watch tours?

the scenery is the humpbacks...if you aren't that interested in whales and you have other plans..do the other.

most of the time, all we see are the backs, tails and a few fins (how to these massive critters stick up one fin and spin or wave?)

if you get lucky, they leap out of the water or do their feeding thingie...bubble net.

we had some sea lions come up to the boat and heckle us, then go over to the humpback and torment them. you could see some eagles..

otherwise, everyone is in the area for the whales. even with that, they (mostly) stay their distance, boats are not allowed to get close. good binoculars are needed, also a good camera with zoom.

Seems like this is the thing to do while in Juneau. However, I planned other activities for that port(which I can easily change). I also am doing the 9 hr Kenai Fjords tour from seward and the 26 glacier cruise from whittier both of which I may see whales on. Will I miss something if I don't do whale watching in Juneau? How's the scenery on the Juneau whale-watch tours?

I had a truly peak experience whale watching in Juneau. It's hard to imagine not doing it. But I was lucky to see a lot of bubble net feeding.

If you are at all interested in whale watching, Juneau is fabulous. Have gone twice (July and Sept) and saw a lot of breaching both times. You could definitely see a lot without any sort of binoculars or camera lens. If whale watching is not your thing, then do what interests you.

Archived