Late Night Babysitting

dweill

My DW and I are going on our first cruise next week (carnival paradise) with our 3 1/2 year old daughter. We think she will love camp carnival but we are concerned about leaving her there late into the evening. She doesn't have any real problems sleeping anywhere but we are curious about the structure of the evening. I understand the "babysitting" (and the charges therefore) begin at 10pm (which is fine with us). Do the counselors try to get the kids to go to sleep at 9pm or so? Do they just sleep on the floor on blankets? DW and I would like to enjoy the cruise nightlife but don't want to do so to the detriment of our child. what do you think?

My DW and I are going on our first cruise next week (carnival paradise) with our 3 1/2 year old daughter. We think she will love camp carnival but we are concerned about leaving her there late into the evening. She doesn't have any real problems sleeping anywhere but we are curious about the structure of the evening. I understand the "babysitting" (and the charges therefore) begin at 10pm (which is fine with us). Do the counselors try to get the kids to go to sleep at 9pm or so? Do they just sleep on the floor on blankets? DW and I would like to enjoy the cruise nightlife but don't want to do so to the detriment of our child. what do you think?

We were on the Valor in Oct. My youngest daughter was 3.5 at the time. I think I put her into comfortable clothing prior to dropping her off. They gave her a pillow and blanket. She fell asleep each night without any trouble. I dont' recall if she was sleeping on the carpet or on a blanket. I think they encouraged the younger ones to rest. It was very quiet each night I went in to pick them up.

We just returned from a Glory cruise with our 2 boys, 5 and 4. We took advantage of the late night babysitting both this year, and last year when our youngest was the age of your child. All I can say is that the boys probably had more fun during that time. Yes, they do line the floor with blankets and pillows for "movie time", but our kids enjoyed it. More times than not, they were asleep when we picked them up (CC during the day exhausted them). I'm pretty sure they don't "structure" the bedtime, but the way we looked at it was that our kids were on vacation, too. They go right back to their normal schedule when we get home. :D

Relax, enjoy the wonderful services that CC has to offer. I hope you have a wonderful time cruising with your young one! :)

I will try to scan a copy of the CC capers. Not sure if I'm computer savy enough, but if you'd like them, email me @ bmg326@bellsouth.net.

Adrienne

If you are taking the kids to the evening program they will ask if you are having them attend babysitting. Then when 10 hits they start charging. They put on movies, put out blankets and pillows - it is comfy. If you bring an umbrella stroller, it is nice to pick it up from your room at the end of the night and bring it with you to pick them up - then you don't have to carry a sleeping child all the way back to your room. Our kids adjusted well to whatever schedule we were keeping - napped during the day sometimes.

One note - on our cruise on the Imagination in Feb. there weren't too many kids. One night ours were the last 2 there (it was 1:00) and they called me (you will be issued a phone for kids under 5) and asked us to pick them up since they were the only kids left at babysitting. The last night, we picked ours up around 11:30, and there was one kid left, and they started to call his parents to come and get him. Not sure if this is the policy or not, it was a little frustrating, as we were having a good time that particular evening. Maybe if more kids were cruising that wouldn't be an issue. I am going to write Carnival regarding this and see if it is policy or not. Have fun though - it is nice to be able to enjoy the evening while the kids have fun too! Beats sitting in a hotel room while they sleep!

Archived