Shark Alley Snorkel Excursion Offered By Carnival????

desert2tropics

Hi All,

I thought I had seen an excursion to Shark Alley, Caye Caulker and Coral Gardens on Carnival's website, but when I went to book it, is was not there. I've been researching so much, I could have my wires crossed so I thought I'd ask other Carnival cruisers if this excursion is offered through the ship and if I can book it before we sail? We are leaving on May 25th, so quick responses are much appreciated.

Thanks! :D

. . . for it may be that the day length will not accommodate a trip to Caye Caulker, snorkeling, dining, and return. That would be unusual, but it would be the first thing I would worry about if Carnival has canceled or is not offering the excursion.

Thanks for your input Driftwood.

I called Carnival's excursion department today to see if they knew about this excursion, but they didn't so I don't think it was cancelled or sold out. Now I am looking to book with Coral Breeze (heard mixed reviews though), ShoreTrips or EcoTours. Anyone feel strongly about one or the other?

I have also heard that nurse sharks don't really come around much. This would be the whole purpose of seeking out this excursion because my two kids REALLY want to do this. Has anyone returned recently from a cruise that did this excursion? If so...did you see any sharks and get to touch them?

If this excursion doesn't pan out for us, what would be second choice options for best snorkel sites? I'm leaving in 10 days and have to get this booked soon before I lose my mind! wink, wink ;)

. . . I would be inclined myself to use EcoTours, as I think Mr. and Mrs. Deras are good people to join for a tour, and they will pick you up and return you to the Cruiseship Terminal, a major convenience in my opinion.

But when we were there, we went a slightly different, rather more time-consuming route to visit the sharks and rays, and IT IS TRUE THAT THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE NO SHARKS WILL SHOW UP. There were a lot of friendly stingrays, and personally I was very pleased to be able to see and photograph a beautiful Scrawled Cowfish there; but in about half-an-hour at that particular location, no sharks of any species. No timecards to punch! Sorry! :D You should sell it to the kids much as a fishing trip--you can wait all day for a nibble, or you can haul in a two-hundred-pound Marlin--it just depends! :eek: :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Driftwood,

We are back from our vacation and had a great time...thanks for all your help and emails before we left. I can say Belize was not what I had envisioned, but never-the-less we really enjoyed ourselves. We ended up booking with Ivar Marchand & I was very glad we did. I thought you (and anyone else reading this) might be interested in my trip report which emphasizes who we booked through and how our experience was for each port since we were booking independant of the ship. Next time we go back to Belize I plan to go to San Pedro (with Ivar) to check out their real estate...but I am concerned with the crime Belize has and would investigate that a little more before I considered buying. I would say I still love Grand Cayman over Belize, but I didn't really get to see "true" Belize since we were on another island for the whole day, so I would have to make another trip for true comparison's sake.

Here is the trip report: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=43234.

If only everyone who went to sea would share their experiences as you have when they returned, all of us could count on having a wonderful time wherever we go! I wouldn't get too excited about the crime in Belize, actually--I think it is much as we experience here in Swampland, just a few friends murdering friends on an off day. The population density in Belize is pretty low, so no matter how many friends you make, the odds of one of them killing you are pretty low also. :D

I am glad you found an excellent tour guide, also! As most of us know, that can make or break any shore--or sea--excursion. I agree with your observation in the review that the difference between a cruiseship-sponsored tour and an independent tour is purely a matter of dollars. It was good of you to give Ivar such a generous tip--but I know how you feel! Belizeans are just so deserving!

Archived