How much weight did you gain on a cruise?

AandBmom

I refuse to read this thread. I refuse to acknowledge the possibility of weight gain on a cruise. I'm pretty sure I read on the internet (therefore it must be true) that caloric intake on any vacation does not work the same way as it does at home. I'm pretty sure it said that the vacation cancels out the calories. :rolleyes:

In Oct. 07 we went on a 7 day on the Triumph and only gained 3 lbs, but I was happy because before that trip I had lost 15 lbs. Also on this cruise we went to the gym every day and worked out, and took the stairs a lot. But within a week or two of being home had lost it all. Then April 26-May 1 we were on a 5 day on the Inspiration and I gained 5 lbs. I ate whatever I wanted and unfortunatly did not get to the gym. Oh well. Before going on this cruise I had lost an additional 15 lbs. So overall I had lost 30 lbs and on my two cruises only gained 8lbs, so I guess I can't complain, I am still ahead of where I was 1 year ago. I am Average, I wear a size 10.

I gained 7# on a 7 day cruise. I'm 5 foot tall, and average to slim build. BUT I indulged in everything my heart desired and I didn't workout once. At home I work out everyday for an hour and really watch what I eat, but on the cruise? No thanks, I'm happy to do the pennance when I return home, which took about 2 weeks to undo all the delicious evil I'd imbibed in.

Life's too stinkin short to deny yourself on a cruise. Think of all the things as grown ups we 'have' to do. On a cruise I'm all about enjoying myself, and that means indulging in anything I want, as opposed to undressing it with my eyes as I normally do at home. It also means abandoning my workouts for one week. One beautiful delicious week to spend with my hubby and our friends without a care in the world.

Oh, yes.. to answer the question. I tend to gain somewhere around 1 lb per day.

On a 7 day cruise, I gained 6 lbs.

On a 4 day cruise, I gained 5 lbs.

BTW, lobster is not fattening. It's very good for you. The problem is the abnormal relationship that the lobster has with the butter... :o

I can safely speak for most people when I say:

I hate you.

:D

Sorry...but it helps when you "need" to spend a little extra time at the lobster/crab buffet

DH and I went on our 1st cruise last September for our honeymoon and were overwhelmed by all the readily available food . . . we did a lot of eating and a lot of sleeping ;) both of us had lost weight before the wedding and I swear we gained at least half of it back during our cruise. However we promised to visit the ships gym on the morning of our saildays this time around since we have four of them :p

I refuse to read this thread. I refuse to acknowledge the possibility of weight gain on a cruise. I'm pretty sure I read on the internet (therefore it must be true) that caloric intake on any vacation does not work the same way as it does at home. I'm pretty sure it said that the vacation cancels out the calories. :rolleyes:

I agree, but please tell my post cruise butt that!

I'm small to start with. I gained 3 pounds on my most recent 7 day cruise. I was on the Riviera deck, and I never used the elevators. I worked out 6 of the 7 days. I ate what I wanted, but not a lot of it. The weight gain was water weight - it was gone 3 days after I came home.

And watch out for the proven and substantiated-Molecular Shrinking Effect of the closet..It shrinks your clothes at night while you sleep. Honest, It has happened on every cruise I have been on, no matter what the catagory..:rolleyes:

I weigh 127 pounds and wear a size 2 or 4, depending on the brand. I gained 9 pounds on our last 5 day cruise, and that's not at all unusual, lol. I think it's because I normally avoid sodium, sugar, bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes, and on a cruise I eat/drink whatever I want. I normally lose 4 pounds in the 24 hours after returning home, and I lose the rest in about a week.

DH was in that pattern of gaining 10, losing 5, and after 4 cruises he realized that just wasn't going to work in the long run! He's lost all that weight and more, and now he only gains about 5 on a cruise, and he makes sure he loses it all within a week.

I second the opinion that it's not how much you gain, but whether or not you lose it ALL when you return home. I stuck to my normal diet on one cruise, and that still stands out as my "least favorite cruise" of the 11 I've been on. That's just no fun! As long as I lose every last pound within 10 days or so, I'm happy.

I can pretty much eat whatever, whenever and in whatever quantities I want.

That's pretty much how it goes for me too. Never worry about it much, we usually stay so active that more times than not, I've lost weight.

Both times that I have been on a cruise I have gained 5 pounds. Both Cruises were 5 day cruises. My next cruise in 8 days is only a 4 day cruise so I wont have as much to lose when I return. LOL:D

IF I WAS PRESIDENT I WOULD GET LEGISLATION PASSED THAT WOULD MAKE IT ILLEGAL FOR ANYONE TO EAT ANYTHING THET WANT AND NOT GAIN WEIGHT.OF COURSE, I DO NOT KNOW WHY I GAIN SO MUCH WEIGHT ON A CRUISE AS I COUNT CALORIES BY MY FORMULA CONSTANTLY. EXAMPLES WOULD BE; 1 piece of cake=1 calorie, 1 lobster w/butter=1 calorie, 1 pizza=1 calorie, 1 mixed drink=1 calorie, 1 steak,baked potato w/works,salad w/ranch dressing=3 calories. NOW I ASK YOU, HOW CAN ANYONE GAIN WEIGHT EATING SO FEW CALORIES:p :cool: ?

I'm 60 lbs overweight so not small at all. 31BMI.

I gained 5 lbs on my last cruise and only lost 3 of it so far.:( My last cruise was all about R&R and I wasn't very active. Took the elevator everywhere etc. Dinner, OMG, I ate sooo much food. Usually 2 or 3 appetizers, 1 to 2 entrees and at least 1 dessert sometimes 2. Geez. Lucky I only gained 5.

My first cruise was to Hawaii and it was all about Hawaii and did lots of activities so I didn't gain a thing. Walked everywhere on land, took stairs all over the ship cuz elevators were too crowded. I burned all the excess calories as I ate them.

Typical of most of our week long vacations. We drink more, eat MUCH more, and workout a little less than normal. Usually we come home with 5 extra pounds. Then about 2-3 weeks later we're back down to our target weight and ready for our next vacation :)

Only been on one cruise so far... I am average weight wear a size 10... on our 4 day cruise I gained about 5lbs...I did take the stairs almost all the time...I am not really a sweet tooth so I didn't care for the chocolate melting cake... but French Fries are my weakness and on the Sensation they had the best. I am trying to lose about 15 lbs before we go on the Glory for our 7 day cruise this Dec... because I know I will eat a ton more of those fries!! :) My hubby probably gained about 7lbs.

Carnival - Sensation Dec 07

I usually lose weight as well. I walk everywhere and take the stairs, I'm to cheap to buy the soda card, and active on excursions rather than sitting at a desk. Just drink iced tea, water and such. I do eat whatever I want, and have a beer or two (or three). I usually drop 4 to 7 lbs.

Most of my cruises up until about 3 years ago were 7 day cruises and I usually gained 2-3 lbs.

My first cruise over 7 days, a 12 day to Hawaii in 2005, I gained 10 lbs. The next 12 day cruise in 2006 in Europe I gained 3 lbs. (we walked everywhere).

14 day Transatlantic last Oct. with 1 week in Italy before, I gained 7 lbs.

Just returned from a 14 day Transatlantic and gained 5 lbs but lost 6 lbs. beforehand. I went to the gym or walked around the jogging track everyday. Also walked in ports. I could have gained less but I have a sore knee so am limited to how hard I can exercise.

I would say I'm an average to a little less than average sized female.

Last year I gained 1# and ate much more than I typically do. I lost 8 pounds the few months before we vacationed. This year we have an aft cabin and will walk alot like last year so hopefully I won't come home with any excess baggage.

Archived