Best arrival time in SF

Muumuu

unless there is a ball game or something, there should be very little traffic on a sunday night. I would arrive at 5--by the time you pick up the car, it could be 5:30 or 6.

the easy way to drive to fisherman's wharf from sfo (avoiding downtown) would be hiway 380, to 280 north, to hiway 1/19th ave, after tunnel, on north side of town, take the marina exit to doyle drive--follow signs for marina and keep going east on bay street (go around marina safeway and turn left--onto bay.

or 380 then 280 north, then 4th street --straight past ball park to embarcadero--then follow waterfront to fisherman's wharf. avoids 101.

I would go with the earlier flight. If you have a flight delay or cancellation - then you have a later flight to fall back on.

The correct answer to your first question: When is best time to arrive in San Francisco? As soon as you can!

Honestly, traffic is not horrible here - not compared to other major metro areas, anyway. It is rare that your commute from SFO to downtown will take more than 45 min. Typical will be approx. 30 min.

I am not sure why you want a car - I recommend against it. Take BART service directly from SFO and it is a breeze.

I would go with the earlier flight. If you have a flight delay or cancellation - then you have a later flight to fall back on.

The correct answer to your first question: When is best time to arrive in San Francisco? As soon as you can!

Honestly, traffic is not horrible here - not compared to other major metro areas, anyway. It is rare that your commute from SFO to downtown will take more than 45 min. Typical will be approx. 30 min.

I am not sure why you want a car - I recommend against it. Take BART service directly from SFO and it is a breeze.

Our plan is to fly into SF, stay there from Sunday through Tues, rent a car Wed am and start our drive down the PCH ending in Long Beach for our 2 week cruise to Miami.

Bought California for Dummies yesterday for info.

I'd agree that the earlier flight would be best. The route described earlier from SFO to the Wharf is best for locals, but you may prefer something with fewer turns. If so, I-380 to I-280 north, all the way to the end of 280 near AT&T Park (Giants stadium). As you exit onto the surface street (which I think is King Street), stay in the right lane and follow the street all along the Embarcadero, which is what we call the boulevard on the waterfront facing the Bay. The road will curve leftward around the northeast corner of the city directly into Fisherman's Wharf.

Taking Pacific Coast Highway is a great choice, but be warned that it will add quite a few hours to your drive. The fastest route is extremely boring on I-5 through the Central Valley. Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 1) cuts away from 280 just south of San Francisco going into Pacifica then down the coast through Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur. There will be a lot of curves, but it's definitely more picturesque. Even driving Hwy 101 can consume 12 hours or more from San Francisco to Long Beach, and Hwy 1 will take longer. So you may want to stop for the night along the way.

It sounds like a great precursor to a cruise. Have fun!

I'd agree that the earlier flight would be best. The route described earlier from SFO to the Wharf is best for locals, but you may prefer something with fewer turns. If so, I-380 to I-280 north, all the way to the end of 280 near AT&T Park (Giants stadium). As you exit onto the surface street (which I think is King Street), stay in the right lane and follow the street all along the Embarcadero, which is what we call the boulevard on the waterfront facing the Bay. The road will curve leftward around the northeast corner of the city directly into Fisherman's Wharf.

Taking Pacific Coast Highway is a great choice, but be warned that it will add quite a few hours to your drive. The fastest route is extremely boring on I-5 through the Central Valley. Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 1) cuts away from 280 just south of San Francisco going into Pacifica then down the coast through Santa Cruz, Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur. There will be a lot of curves, but it's definitely more picturesque. Even driving Hwy 101 can consume 12 hours or more from San Francisco to Long Beach, and Hwy 1 will take longer. So you may want to stop for the night along the way.

It sounds like a great precursor to a cruise. Have fun!

We have planned 3 days for the drive on the PCH San Francisco to Long Beach. Just need to decide where to stop each of the two nights. Any suggestions?

We have planned 3 days for the drive on the PCH San Francisco to Long Beach. Just need to decide where to stop each of the two nights. Any suggestions?

Here is a nice tool for the drive.

http://www.milebymile.com/main/United_States/California/State_1_3/United_States_California_road_map_travel_guides.html

SLO is really fun town - we've stayed at the Apple Tree Farm. They have a Farmer's Market every Thursday eve that is awesome, they close down the streets and there is live music, grilling, etc.

I would do the 2nd night in Monterey area.

Archived