Infinity 09/12-09/19 Review - Day Four

flagger

Day One

Day Two

Day Three

DAY FOUR

I turned on the television this morning to look at the navigation display to see where we were. There was an error message on the screen that read “Out of Virtual Memory”. Gee I wonder if they should consider switching to Linux?

We had an easy day today. After two mornings of disappointing breakfasts, we decide to eat in the Trellis. It wasn’t anything in particular to write home about, but at least it was warm.

We went off in separate directions in the morning with Ms. Flagger taking the baby. I caught up with her again near the Cova Café. She had been pushing our daughter around when a man cleaning who looked at both of them and said, “9125, right?” I have to say it creeped her out just a bit. While we were eating a pastry (chocolate filled, yum), he came by and I asked him how he knew what stateroom we were in. He said that Marivic was his wife and that he had helped her with the decorations and had seen her sleeping last night while we dined in the SS United States. His name was Jesse. Going back to our cabin, we found the formal invitation to dine at the Captain’s table on Friday. Even though we had already talked to Jennifer, at the urging of Ms. Flagger I called her to formally accept.

Back to Marivic for a second, with three people in the stateroom the soap in the shower was beginning to look mighty thin. When I saw Marivic in the morning, I had asked her to replace it or at least leave a new bar on the counter. She had not done this when she cleaned our cabin. It was just something else where I mentally thought “I should not have to ask…” I did see her later that evening and took one off her cart. She was quite apologetic. Ms. Flagger having been through one pregnancy was a little more understanding about the first trimester, but said, “I am not making excuses for her however.” I stress this was not something “Cruise ruining” but would be a pattern that would continue throughout our cruise.

The time at Hubbard Glacier was indescribable. We saw calving, and heard even more. I did manage to get a few pictures, but many times my camera was pointed at a different direction so the pictures came out blurry as I whipped around to catch calving icebergs. We alternated spending time with the baby on our balcony and then we went up alone to deck 12 forward. My advice to anyone considering going next year is to hang out on the outside of Deck 4. You get just as good of a view of the glacier without the crowds found on the upper decks. There was a review over on another board that talked about this day being pierced with the hawking of “Hot Chocolate with a shot of Bailey’s” but I didn’t find it terribly distracting. We already had our thermal mugs anyway. The best hot cocoa found on the ship was truly at the Cova Café as it was made with milk as opposed to water.

Dining this night was informal. I did not make a note of the menu.

Coming up next: Juneau and a whale encounter not to be missed

I am working on Day five for posting soon. Life has had a way of bringing us into the real world from our cruise the very day AFTER we got home. I will share that in the cruise epilogue.

Anyway to tide you over, here is a quick and dirty half panoramic view of Hubbard. The original is over 8800 Pixels wide.

hubbardpanosmall.jpg

Archived