Review -- Bering Sea Crab Boat aka Deadliest Catch aka Aleutian Ballad

CowPrincess

Hi everyone, as promised, we are back and here's my review of this excursion. There's lots of keywords in the title to help in "searching" for this thread :)

Background:

DH and I are big fans of the Deadliest Catch show, and when we saw this tour was available, immediately wanted to go on it. After much debate, we decided to book it, despite not knowing whether the weather would be good or bad. Our trip was in early May.

DH and I are in our early 50s, fairly physically fit, and do a moderate amount of outdoor activities. We live in a cold climate.

Weather the day of the cruise:

Cold, windy, rain and snow. A fair amount of "ocean motion".

The tour:

The crew spent some time discussing life on a fishing boat, showing how to bait long lines and telling us about the area we'd be sailing in. The captain told us about the building of the boat and its history. We headed out and the commentary and demos continued. The crew pulled crab pots -- king, dungeness and opelia -- and shrimp pots, and a barrel trap of some sort that had an octopus inside it. The various catches were brought around for us to touch/see, take pictures of, discuss with the crew. They also ran a long line and set some pots. We saw many eagles close up, which was thrilling.

Through the questions that were asked by the pax, it came to light that the "catch" wasn't exactly freshly caught, that the boat had already checked the traps to make sure there were crabs, shrimp and octopus. When the sea life was returned to the sea, it was in the traps, and from what I was able to tell, the sea life was going to be kept in the traps for a while longer (perhaps days).

The heaters on board did a completely inadequate job of keeping most of the pax warm, despite everyone being dressed for the weather. The wind kept whipping the rain/snow onto the boat, getting everyone near the side wet, even reaching into the first 2 or 3 rows of the stadium-style seating at times.

The crew made comments about how this was "nothing" compared to what an Alaskan fisherman experienced when really fishing. Gee, thanks for your concern, buddy, I'm feeling so much better now :(

A few people were huddled under the heaters for the last hour or so of the trip, looking as though they thought they were going to die from being so cold. Even DH and I were cold -- not miserably so, but cold nonetheless. The galley area was warmer, and most of us would scoot in there for a few minutes to warm up a bit, then go back out.

Coffee, tea and hot chocolate were provided throughout the tour, a snack was handed out toward the end (crackers, salmon, granola and cookie), and there are 3 bathrooms on board.

Before reaching port, we all went into the galley and watched the clip (from the TV show "Deadliest Catch") of the "rogue wave" that hit the Aleutian Ballad.

Summary:

It is a great idea, with not-so-great execution. I would not do the tour again. My primary dislikes were the fact that the traps were "salted", the catch was NOT set free though it was returned to the ocean, and the operator does not seem to have any kind of "bad-weather plan".

Positives:

It is a chance to experience a few hours on the water, in an area that is not usually seen by visitors to Alaska, and to see underwater animals "up close and personal".

Suggestions for improvement:

Do a guided tour of the boat, instead of telling people to feel free to walk around. Tell them that this area was formerly the catch table, the live hold, whatever, if the tour continues to be marketed as "Bering Sea crab/ Deadliest Catch".... a bit more relating to the TV show if possible. Or start marketing it as a glimpse into the work life of Alaska fishermen.

Have a plan for the speeches that the crew give. Entertain and educate. Some facts about the impact that fishing has on the communities involved, how the species are protected from overfishing, perhaps even a bit of a memorial to the fishermen who are lost every year feeding the country. Do NOT tell the story of the gaff behind the crew member's eye just as people are starting to eat the provided snacks.

Free the catch. More and more people are becoming concerned about the impact that we as tourists have on the land and the animals. It seemed as though the tour operator still considers the "catch" simply a commodity -- many tourists/visitors will not understand that mindset and it might eventually become a problem.

Install more heaters. Do NOT expect people from warm climates to really relish the cold and rain. I know for many on our tour, it wore thin very quickly, and they will not give this tour good marks simply because of that.

As I re-read this review, it sounds like a complete hatchet job, and that was not at all my intent. It is a good idea, and offers an interesting insight into life on the water and the life in the sea. But there is definitely room for improvement and I hope somehow the tour operator reassesses the tour, and changes a few things, to ensure the tour attracts and impresses visitors.

If you wanted better weather maybe you should have waited and gone in July. Last summer I went on the Aluetian Ballad numerous times. It was a great trip. I'll go down next week and check it out again. I'll also discuss your concerns with the tour operator and see what kind of changes they can make.

When you come to Alaska expect weather to happen. It might be hot, cold, rainy, windy and snowing all in one day. After all it's not Florida...

If you wanted better weather maybe you should have waited and gone in July.

Hi Bearbait, please don't be defensive about the weather. I thought I'd made it clear that the weather for us wasn't an issue -- I've been to Alaska in good and bad and we are accustomed to the cold.

I'll also discuss your concerns with the tour operator and see what kind of changes they can make.

Good :) I was hoping you'd see this review, because I do think there is room for improvement with their product -- not huge changes required, but they need to start thinking of the product from the visitor's perspective to help ensure their long-term success.

If you want to e-mail me, and take this to a more private discussion I'm at

livinginthemountains AT gmail.com

CowPrincess,

Thanks for the review and the information about this tour, I'm going to Alaska next month for the third time and was considering this tour till I felt the cost was a bit much for what was being offered. This trip I taking my 8 yr. old son and I know he likes this show very much, I was thinking of surprising him with this tour till I saw the cost. I know Alaska is expensive but $99 for kid and $149 adult is a bit much for a 3.5 hour tour, also since they offer a discount for May and Sept. of fifty dollars less I was a bit put off by that. I do understand more people travel in Alaska June/July but we shouldn't bear the costs because you can. My wife teaches Science and I know she would love this tour but not at the expense of these animals being thrown back for ""another day" , she would not like it at all. Thank you again for the review and I didn't think it was a "hatched" job but rather a statement of fact from your perspective.

• Administrators

CowPrincess, I really appreciate your post about this tour, and your motivations in making it. We are taking it next month and really looking forward to it. I will say, however, that even though I'm not a commercial fisherman, it really wasn't a surprise to me that the traps are "salted" -- you don't stay in business long taking paying customers out to see empty traps and pots, so I figured they would be pre-checked and arranged. Nor with 2 tours per day would I expect the critters to be freed after each trip.

But I was concerned by your statement that the sea life would be retained for "perhaps days," which implied that would be bad, so I had a few questions. Were any of the animals dead, or visibly damaged? Were any statements made by the crew of the vessel that would support that they keep animals longer than is healthy? Mostly, I wonder -- was it really different than a local aquarium with a "touch tank" for captive animals, in a more grandiose setting? (That's basically what I expect this to be).

I already think of this tour the same way I do the show -- they both ARE glimpses into the life of an Alaskan fisherman (an edited glimpse, presenting a product for consumption, whether by a tv audience or a live excursion audience). I guess I think that anybody who has watched the show has seen how live crab are "processed," for example -- and I'm having trouble picturing them being squeamish about "salted" crab pots.

I DO think your post is particularly valuable to people who might consider this excursion and have never seen the show. When we booked our cruise I hadn't seen the show and this excursion never made a blip on my radar screen. Since then we've become fans and have booked this tour, and I still think we'll have a good time.

Thanks for your review. We are fans of the show and booked on this excursion as well. I am not too worried about the weather whatever it may be but, not crazy about he staged traps. I was hoping the excursion was interesting though or maybe a better way to say it is did it give you a glimpse of what it is like for the folks who do this for a living?

Thanks again..

I was concerned by your statement that the sea life would be retained for "perhaps days," which implied that would be bad, so I had a few questions. Were any of the animals dead, or visibly damaged? Were any statements made by the crew of the vessel that would support that they keep animals longer than is healthy?

Hi, no, none of the animals were dead, nor did they seem distressed. One snail was kept sitting on a barrel for most of the trip, though, and though the crew threw back most of the shrimp, I **think** they missed some that got under the live tank. To be honest, I think the shrimp just went overboard, not back into a trap. I was concerned about the octopus (which are much more intelligent than most people think), though, and the crew's overall attitude about all the catch that "oh they'll be fine, don't worry about them".

I don't think they are abusive, just not as caring as they IMHO should be. They need to stop thinking of the catch as "catch" -- they need to start treating it as a living tourist attraction, with the care and responsibility THAT entails. They need to start approaching their presentation from the perspective of the visitors. They need to consider visitor perceptions.

As for "salting" the pots, my personal preference is to see what comes up through chance, not through prearrangement. And THAT is totally JUST a personal preference :) Not squeamishness, just the thrill of the "hunt" :)

I was concerned by your statement that the sea life would be retained for "perhaps days,"

The crew were not clear about how long the catch would be kept, but we were the only tour that day, so the catch was in the traps till the next day, I'm pretty sure.

retiredAF, it was interesting to see the land, and the undersea "critters" that came up, to see the crab traps be set and others pulled up. Getting as close as we did to eagles was AMAZING!! As to the "glimpse of life", I'm not really sure ANY visitor would want that, y'know? :) I cannot imagine what working 40 hours straight in just-above-freezing temps around machinery and mother nature would be like, nor do I want to experience it!

I definitely would not say "do not go". I would say consider the info (this excursion got 5 star ratings on a travel advisor site), and make your decision with your preferences/personality and the knowledge you can get from the web, and from others who have been on the tour.

retiredAF, it was interesting to see the land, and the undersea "critters" that came up, to see the crab traps be set and others pulled up. Getting as close as we did to eagles was AMAZING!! As to the "glimpse of life", I'm not really sure ANY visitor would want that, y'know? :) I cannot imagine what working 40 hours straight in just-above-freezing temps around machinery and mother nature would be like, nor do I want to experience it!

I definitely would not say "do not go". I would say consider the info (this excursion got 5 star ratings on a travel advisor site), and make your decision with your preferences/personality and the knowledge you can get from the web, and from others who have been on the tour.

That's why I said "glimpse" :D I could not imagine even a day doing what they do...

Thank you again..

Thank you CowPrincess for your review . . .

Do you or anyone have any pix from the tour(s)???

My DW & I enjoy the show and are searching the 'Net for reviews of the tour - your review, IMHO, is a very straight forward and honest view. Thanks again!

I'll talk to them and let them know what you thought. Trying to get a new tour up and running is quite a chore. I worked out at the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary their first year and it was a nightmare. All we had was a trail through the forest and a building at the end of it.

Other tours that have been around for years are usually scripted. The guides memorize the script and then try to personalize it a bit. The tour at ARS didn't have anything. By the end of the first year we put on a pretty good tour.

I'm sure these guys can get things ironed out and polish there presentation a bit. It's tough to go from being crab fishermen to tour guides :)

I'm sure these guys can get things ironed out and polish there presentation a bit. It's tough to go from being crab fishermen to tour guides

Yes, I'm sure it is. They'd probably benefit from using the Dept of Tourism people to refine their approach. Everyone "in the field" laughs at consultants, but they do have expertise and can see issues from the audience's perspective.

And get more heaters :) We went around town for a bit with 2 other couples, and one of the couples was absolutely miserable with the cold. Even if they are only needed a few times each season, you'll be better off in the long run having warm and happy guests who can go back to the ship or to their home towns saying "it was awesome, the weather sucked but we were nice and warm -- I'd do it again" as opposed to "the weather sucked and we froze -- I'd never go again unless I was guaranteed nice weather"

I'll talk to them and let them know what you thought. Trying to get a new tour up and running is quite a chore. I worked out at the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary their first year and it was a nightmare. All we had was a trail through the forest and a building at the end of it.

Other tours that have been around for years are usually scripted. The guides memorize the script and then try to personalize it a bit. The tour at ARS didn't have anything. By the end of the first year we put on a pretty good tour.

I'm sure these guys can get things ironed out and polish there presentation a bit. It's tough to go from being crab fishermen to tour guides :)

That is a big jump (crab fishermen to tour guides):D We talked about this review and really do appreciate your feedback Cow Princess but are really looking forward to this excursion either way..

CowPrincess I'd like to address some of your points from the perspective of someone who has been married to a commercial fisherman for nearly 25 years.

This excursion is really better viewed as a fishing expedition in my opinion. It is not a wildlife viewing cruise in the traditional sense like a whale watching trip or bear or eagle viewing excursion which very often do include narration by a naturalist.

I think people need to remember that most commercial fisherman are mavericks to an extent; modern day cowboys if you will. They are not trained speakers, educators or marine biologists who spend their days providing insight into sea life. They are hard working, tough and intelligent guys who love what they do and like to talk about it in a way that seems natural to them.

When you speak of the catch as a commodity in a very negative way, I think you miss the point entirely. Fishing is a business and the catch is a commodity. While most fishermen are concerned about the marine environment and species conservation, that is not their main focus. They are the hunter going after the prey and it equals dollars. I don't say this to sound cold or harsh, but really if someone is a devotee of the show how could this be a surprise. This tour is about helping people understand how a real Alaska fishing boat operates and how they obtain their catch.

And it is a catch. Just because they had already checked the pots doesn't mean they were "salted". If they went and bought crab and shrimp, drove out and put them in the pots, that would equate to salting. They are simply holding the catch, which is common in commercial fishing. My husband and the other fisherman here can often hold their catch in large containers at the dock for many days until the buyer comes to pick it up. It's not harmful. In fact it is very important to most fisherman to keep their catch alive and healthy up to the point of sale or it isn't worth anything. It's really no different then how the keep the catch in holding tanks onboard the vessel until they can get it safely back to the dock. Remember, this is being sold for food, not being viewed as a pet. I think what they showed is exactly as promised. A view of how they make their catch.

Commercial fishing is an exciting and dangerous business. It takes a special kind of person to do it and this tour sounds like a great opportunity to get a real life, up close and personal view narrated by the guys who do it and love it. And they do deal with the worst of weather conditions, so when they tell you the weather on your trip is not that bad, I don't think it is meant to be uncaring. It's just they have a totally different perspective. I think people need to take this tour with the thought that it might be wet, cold, messy or sometimes a bit out of a normal person's comfort zone if they are doing it to get a real sense of commercial fishing. Like Sig pointed out in one episode, "It's not always pretty, but neither was my high school report card." One of the best lines ever in my opinion.

It really sounds like the tour offered just what I would expect. A chance to see and travel on a real, working Alaskan commercial fishing boat with a crew who wants to share information about the dangerous and exciting occupation that they truly love while viewing how they actually make their catch. That would include seeing the catch in traps, hearing about gaffes in the eye and getting a little bit of a glimpse into the hard conditions they deal with on a day to day basis. It sounds like you got all that and more, so perhaps it's really more of a case of misplaced expectations.

Karatemom2, I really appreciate all the time you put into your reply. A couple of things, I think, are based on misunderstanding my words. I did my review from the perspective of a visitor to Alaska, a fan of the show, and a respecter of anyone who works hard for a living.

This excursion is really better viewed as a fishing expedition in my opinion. It is not a wildlife viewing cruise in the traditional sense like a whale watching trip or bear or eagle viewing excursion which very often do include narration by a naturalist.

In no way did I expect this to be a wildlife viewing cruise and as I review my review, don't see where I suggested that.

I think people need to remember that most commercial fisherman are mavericks to an extent; modern day cowboys if you will. They are not trained speakers, educators or marine biologists who spend their days providing insight into sea life. They are hard working, tough and intelligent guys who love what they do and like to talk about it in a way that seems natural to them.

And they can continue to do that. I just made a few suggestions regarding their presentation. If they want to run a successful tourism operation over the long term, I think they need to add a bit more to it; a bit beyond "Oh Ron was late to the dock and we'd already left, so he missed the season. He was never late again." I didn't want to get into specifics with my review, and still don't want to. They did the best they could; I think they have the ability to do better. Do they want to? I don't know. I'd hope so.

When you speak of the catch as a commodity in a very negative way, I think you miss the point entirely. Fishing is a business and the catch is a commodity. While most fishermen are concerned about the marine environment and species conservation, that is not their main focus. They are the hunter going after the prey and it equals dollars. I don't say this to sound cold or harsh, but really if someone is a devotee of the show how could this be a surprise. This tour is about helping people understand how a real Alaska fishing boat operates and how they obtain their catch.

There's no surprise, but I think my point was missed -- these guys are now tourism operators, not crab fishermen, and the catch is no longer (on the AB) how they earn their living. The "commodity" is now the show they put on; the "catch" is not now their commodity. The catch is part of the show. Their business is now tourism. Lots of the people who are visitors are curious about the land, the critters, the ecology. And providing some of that info will provide a better experience which will equal happier patrons which will equal recommending this tour to their friends and family, which will ultimately equal greater revenues for the tour operator.

My husband and the other fisherman here can often hold their catch in large containers at the dock for many days until the buyer comes to pick it up. It's not harmful. In fact it is very important to most fisherman to keep their catch alive and healthy up to the point of sale or it isn't worth anything. It's really no different then how the keep the catch in holding tanks onboard the vessel until they can get it safely back to the dock.

I don't see how this comment relates to anything I said. Again, you are referring to the catch, and I'm referring to the tourism product they are trying to provide.

they do deal with the worst of weather conditions, so when they tell you the weather on your trip is not that bad, I don't think it is meant to be uncaring. It's just they have a totally different perspective. I think people need to take this tour with the thought that it might be wet, cold, messy or sometimes a bit out of a normal person's comfort zone

Well, when someone comes to this board and says the ship has been retrofitted and there are plenty of heaters and the visitors stay warm and dry, and it turns out that "warm and dry" is a relative term (no one on our tour was warm; some of us were dry), and there were pax almost in tears from being cold, I think it is fair to comment.

hearing about gaffes in the eye

Any time but when we had ALL started eating would have been just fine :)

-------

Visitors to this board wanted a review; I gave a review. In addition, I think I gave the tour operators a visitor's perspective on where they could improve the experience without saying smply "It sucked, save your $149 (or whatever) and do something else in Ketchikan".

If a business, any business, wants to become and remain successful, the owners need to consider the feedback they get. I appreciate that these people were in the business of catching fish, crab, etc. They need to appreciate they are now in the business of entertaining and informing tourists.

Karatemom2, I really appreciate all the time you put into your reply. A couple of things, I think, are based on misunderstanding my words. I did my review from the perspective of a visitor to Alaska, a fan of the show, and a respecter of anyone who works hard for a living.

In no way did I expect this to be a wildlife viewing cruise and as I review my review, don't see where I suggested that.

And they can continue to do that. I just made a few suggestions regarding their presentation. If they want to run a successful tourism operation over the long term, I think they need to add a bit more to it; a bit beyond "Oh Ron was late to the dock and we'd already left, so he missed the season. He was never late again." I didn't want to get into specifics with my review, and still don't want to. They did the best they could; I think they have the ability to do better. Do they want to? I don't know. I'd hope so.

There's no surprise, but I think my point was missed -- these guys are now tourism operators, not crab fishermen, and the catch is no longer (on the AB) how they earn their living. The "commodity" is now the show they put on; the "catch" is not now their commodity. The catch is part of the show. Their business is now tourism. Lots of the people who are visitors are curious about the land, the critters, the ecology. And providing some of that info will provide a better experience which will equal happier patrons which will equal recommending this tour to their friends and family, which will ultimately equal greater revenues for the tour operator.

I don't see how this comment relates to anything I said. Again, you are referring to the catch, and I'm referring to the tourism product they are trying to provide.

Well, when someone comes to this board and says the ship has been retrofitted and there are plenty of heaters and the visitors stay warm and dry, and it turns out that "warm and dry" is a relative term (no one on our tour was warm; some of us were dry), and there were pax almost in tears from being cold, I think it is fair to comment.

-------

Visitors to this board wanted a review; I gave a review. In addition, I think I gave the tour operators a visitor's perspective on where they could improve the experience without saying smply "It sucked, save your $149 (or whatever) and do something else in Ketchikan".

If a business, any business, wants to become and remain successful, the owners need to consider the feedback they get. I appreciate that these people were in the business of catching fish, crab, etc. They need to appreciate they are now in the business of entertaining and informing tourists.

I've read complaints on this board that people have practically "died of exposure" on the Saxman Village tours in Ketchikan. It's been cold thus far this season. It is what it is in Alaska. As I've been told "There is no poor weather in Alaska...just poor clothing choices". If you want a pleasure cruise with no reality problems...don't choose Alaska.

We took the tour in Aug. of 2007. Ketchikan's weather is unpredictable; we had drizzle/lite rain the day we were in port and temps were in the high 50's low 60's. It was a "spur of the moment" excursion purchased at the kiosk at the dock amd I did NOT happen to have a warm jacket in my backpack. I wore DH's liteweight fleece jacket, one of their havy rain ponchos and stayed near a heater as much as possible except while holding/touching creatures. I was comfortable! If you are familiar with the show - we had Engineer Terry and "Kiwi" on our crew; I thought they did a great job explaing about crabbing and also some of the perils. Kiwi told us that "When moving about the boat, you must slide your feet along - NEVER pick them UP while moving around, their is a great risk for getting tangled in the lines and pulled overboard with a pot." Then Terry told his experience with someone going over. We knew that the pots were only holding areas - it is the only way to guarantee having anything for "show and tell". DH and I both thought it was well worth the time and money to do this.:D

In your review the one positive you mention is the chance to see underwater animals up close and personal and you also emphasize they need to provide more in the way of education. My comment related to this. I would actually classify this as more of a fishing/adventure type of expedition than a wildlife viewing, marine education tour which are commonly provided with a naturalist onboard. It just appeared to me based on these comments in your review that was what you expected

While they now may be operating a tourist attraction, I can guarantee these men still consider themselves crab fisherman and always will. They are providing this tour to give a rare glimpse into the world of Alaskan commercial fishing and it would seem to me that most people taking that tour would expect that to be the focus. There are many other tours in Alaska where people can learn about the land, critters and ecology.

You actually seemed quite concerned about the sea life being returned in the traps and made a point that you felt it should be freed, and in response I was explaining that holding catch in traps/holding tanks/containers etc. is common practice in the commercial fishing industry and does not harm the sea life which they are keeping live until sale or in this case release at some point.

Well I guess timing is everything, but events like these are all part of their day to day existence so they may view the telling in a more matter of fact way and not view it as something that would be inappropriate to discuss over snacks. Again, like their view of the weather, it's all about their perspective.

I appreciate that and I'm not being critical of you or saying you don't have a right to your opinion and review. I'm just attempting to offer another perspective from someone who is intimately familiar with the unique world of commercial fishing.

I appreciate that these people were in the business of catching fish, crab, etc. They need to appreciate they are now in the business of entertaining and informing tourists.

I guess I would say the are still in the business of catching fish, but they are doing it in a way that invites people to see and experience the world of Alaska commercial fishing in a way that they never could before and the real education and entertainment provided is giving tourists an upclose glimpse into that world.

I do appreciate your review and I'm sorry it was a disappointment and that the weather was so awful.

If you want a pleasure cruise with no reality problems...don't choose Alaska.

If that was intended for me, please understand this was my 4th cruise to Alaska and I am well aware of the possibilities for the weather. Did you actually read what I said or did you simply assume I was complaining about the weather?

Perhaps I should have just said "Everything was perfect and everyone will love this tour, and no one will ever find anything unsatisfactory with the tour". Would have been a lot simpler. Not quite honest, but simpler.

Interestingly, a number of people have thanked me for the review, and are still going on the tour. Good! Those people "got it". And now someone else has stopped in and said how much they enjoyed it. So surely that balances out any perceived lack of cheerleading on my part.

This is what the write-up is through the cruise line:

This tour brings your as close as you'll ever likely get to the Alaskan crab fishing industry, allowing you to brush up against the real experience. Real fisherman share some the passion and vitality that drives them to this life. See and touch the amazing creatures that are part of their everyday experience while staying warm, dry, and comfortable the entire time. Set out into the calm protected waters of Southeast Alaska on the f/v Aleutian Ballad--the same vessel seen on the Discovery Channel's Deadliest Catch program, but completely modified with your comfort, enjoyment, and safety in mind. The heated and sheltered state of the art on-board amphitheater prepares you for an experience unlike any other. Alaska's commercial fisheries come alive so close to the action that you will see water dripping from 700-pound king crab pots as they land. Be prepared with your camera as king and snow crab, octopus, prawns and sharks, just to name a few, are set on deck just a few feet away from you. The animals are placed in a live tank before being released back into the wild. This is an extraordinary experience of life aboard a beautiful working boat. Alaska is home to whales, seals, otter and sea lions. Capture these magnificent creatures with your camera. What you'll take home is an Alaskan adventure so real the memories will last a lifetime.

(bolding mine)

I can guarantee there were a number of people who'd have disputed that "warm, dry and comfortable" statement. And it does say the animals are returned to the wild -- being stuck back in a trap isn't "the wild".

It is apparent to me that what I intended as a description of the tour, and a couple of suggestions I was hoping the operators would see, is now being completely misinterpreted, and people are feeling they need to defend the operators (fine, they're great, we are all so perfect none of us needs to improve), or fishing, or the weather or whatever. So have at it -- I think I've learned a valuable lesson about this board.

I'm sorry it was a disappointment and that the weather was so awful.

Oh heck, the weather was no worse than other times I've experienced in Alaska. We had cold weather gear/clothing for every day of the trip, so we were prepared. Some of the Australians and Californians though -- they had the clothing but were SO unused to cold weather, there was no way they could possibly have stayed warm. And the operators IMHO need to factor that into their operation. Again, JMHO. As has every other comment been.

It is apparent to me that what I intended as a description of the tour, and a couple of suggestions I was hoping the operators would see, is now being completely misinterpreted, and people are feeling they need to defend the operators (fine, they're great, we are all so perfect none of us needs to improve), or fishing, or the weather or whatever. So have at it -- I think I've learned a valuable lesson about this board.

I apologize if you feel my remarks were in any way disrespectful. I was just trying to express a different point of view. I have always found these boards to be a place where we could sometimes agree to disagree, but I hope I didn't offend you. That was not my intent.

Archived