Andalusian Horse Centre at Jerez, Spain

We are on Independence of the Seas this summer and stop at Cadiz on Tuesday 19 August. We are planning to visit the Andalusian horse centre at Jerez. We are lucky that they have a "show" on Tuesdays.

Details here:

http://www.realescuela.org/ing/home.htm

We are a family of 4 with 2 girls aged 14 and 12 who love horses.

Could anyone who has visited please comment on whether it was enjoyable and provide any advice as to the easiest and cheapest way to get there from the port at Cadiz? Also, I would appreciate advice as to how long we should spend there.

Many thanks.

Andrew.

• 2 weeks later...

We visited Jerez as part of a shore excursion on a RC transatlantic last April. In addition to the horse show, we visited a sherry winery. Interestingly, we are NOT horse people but we loved the horse show. We were completely entranced and it is one of the most memorable parts of our visit to Spain.

If there is no shore excursion including the show, I don't know what to tell you about getting there. As I recall, it was about an hour's drive. For four people you might consider renting a car. The grounds are very attractive and I think you could consider extra time just walking around. The sherry winery visit was fine, but I wouldn't do it again and with younger teenagers, it probably isn't their idea of a good time.

But the show is so definitely worth it. Quite amazing.

Many thanks for your help...and your first post, too. Welcome to Cruise Critic!

When I originally posted, there was no excursion shown in the brochure I downloaded. However, there has been an update and the excursion you mention is now available so we are going to do this.

I have one question. It seems that there is a show on Tuesdays and Thursdays only from 12-1.30. On other days you only get to watch the horses training. We are lucky in that we are going on a Tuesday so there will be a show. However, the excursion details say "Guests will view the facilities and admire the horses and their skilled trainers as they perform their routine training exercises and program".

It does not mention the show, but I wonder if this is because it is a standard description including days when there is no show.

Did you go on a day when there was a show and did you see the show itself, i.e. seated in an arena rather than just watching the horses train?

Do you remember whether there was any shaded area in the arena? We are going in August so it will very hot and I'm hoping we can sit in the shade.

Many thanks.

Andrew.

We were there on a show day and we were taken to an arena and seated. It was indoors and out of the sun. Our excursion was late in getting there so we did not even see the entire show. I recall that the streets were quite crowded and it looked like parking might be difficult if doing it on your own. However, we were disappointed not to see the entire show. Afterwards, we just walked back across the grounds and got on the bus to go to the sherry winery. There really wasn't time to do much besides the horse show or time to look around.

We were there on a show day and we were taken to an arena and seated. It was indoors and out of the sun. Our excursion was late in getting there so we did not even see the entire show. I recall that the streets were quite crowded and it looked like parking might be difficult if doing it on your own. However, we were disappointed not to see the entire show. Afterwards, we just walked back across the grounds and got on the bus to go to the sherry winery. There really wasn't time to do much besides the horse show or time to look around.

An indoor arena sounds perfect. Well, we will just have to wait and see how the day is organised. I have booked the excursion.

Thanks again for your help.

Archived