helmet dive

claytonfam

Has anyone done the helmet dive on Grand Cayman? Our family includes 3 young adult sons who are all adventurous. It is hard to tell if this excursion is meant to be an adventure, or extremely tame. How would you rate it compared to going on a snorklling trip as far as the variety of fish and time in the water? We're trying to schedule or excursions this weeks, so thanks for any input.

Has anyone done the helmet dive on Grand Cayman? Our family includes 3 young adult sons who are all adventurous. It is hard to tell if this excursion is meant to be an adventure, or extremely tame. How would you rate it compared to going on a snorklling trip as far as the variety of fish and time in the water? We're trying to schedule or excursions this weeks, so thanks for any input.

We leave in 4 days for a 6 day vacation on Grand Cayman, and we are planning to do the helmet dive. I know that the children must be 8 years old. My understanding is that it is very tame, you basically climb down the ladder, they put the helmet on your head, and you continue down the ladder until you get to the bottom, and then you just walk around a little on the sea floor.

But I could tell you more when I get back!

Yes, I'd love to get a review when you get back. Actually, since you have several days there, maybe you'll be able to tell me what you would do if you could only pick one (like me).

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, I'd love to get a review when you get back. Actually, since you have several days there, maybe you'll be able to tell me what you would do if you could only pick one (like me).

Have fun!

We're back! And we had a ball.

However, the concierge at our hotel told us they no longer do Helmet diving on Grand Cayman :( . That would explain why my emails to them bounced back!

But we did do a Stingray Sandbar/ Coral Gardens glass bottom boat tour from Rum Point, rented jet ski's at the Marriott Beach Resort (where we stayed), did the Nautilus boat tour, and spent a day at Sea Grape Beach. We also went to the Butterfly Farm. The rest of the time we hung out at our hotel and the beach there.

I've done a cruise ship stop there also, and we rented a car and drove to Sea Grape beach and to Cemetary Beach (DH wanted to snorkel there). We also drove around the island a little (we had been twice before on land vacations, and wanted to see how things were after the Hurricane in 2004).

If you are a big beach person (like us), take a taxi to Sea Grape or the Royal Palms Beach club. If you are looking to snorkle, there are some fish to be seen at both those places, but there are better snorkeling spots closer to the port, like Eden Rock.

You might come out cheaper by renting a car, but you will use up precious time getting picked up at the dock, going to the car rental place, renting the car, etc. , and don't forget, they drive on the opposite side from the US. Honestly, your time on the island is pretty limited, and some of it is taken up by tendering back and forth. I would spend the extra money to get a taxi.

We're back! And we had a ball.

However, the concierge at our hotel told us they no longer do Helmet diving on Grand Cayman ...

Helmet Diving was certainly operating in GC as recently as earlier this week. There was an incident reported in local press this week involving someone participating in a helmet dive. :( Such incidents are extremely rare.

Helmet Diving was certainly operating in GC as recently as earlier this week. There was an incident reported in local press this week involving someone participating in a helmet dive. :( Such incidents are extremely rare.

Wow, I guess our hotel concierge steered us wrong! Or, I'm wondering if they stopped operating for a few days after this happened, and that's why they told us they were not operating :confused: .

Anyway, thanks for the corrected information.

Archived