Do you tip the Maitre 'd ??

No, I generally don't use the dining room, but when I have the only time I see him is on tip night. I understand he/she is incharge of all the eating places, but I am positive he/she is well paid already. Does anyone tip the captain? He/she made sure you were alive at the end of the cruise.

No, I generally don't use the dining room, but when I have the only time I see him is on tip night. I understand he/she is incharge of all the eating places, but I am positive he/she is well paid already. Does anyone tip the captain? He/she made sure you were alive at the end of the cruise.

Janet..... you DON'T tip the Captain ????

We do it a little different. There have been several times we have not tipped him anything, but only when he has never come by the table to introduce himself at any time during the cruise. (We refuse to tip someone we have never met). This has occured several times on different cruise lines. If he comes by the table at all we will tip him $1.00 To$1.50 pdpp. If he has done something special we will tip at least $25.00 depending on what was done.

Keith

Wow, I am somewhat surprised by most responses so far. We have always tipped the Maitre "D anywhere from $20.00 to $50.00 per cruise. This tip is a reflection of the service you received in the dining, lido and other food service areas. It is the Maitre "d's job to oversee the entire food operations and hundreds of staff, which is a huge job. I dont think people realize this and only tip if they feel the Maitre "d did something special for them. We have a friend who is a Maitre 'D on one of the ships so maybe we understand the depth of the responsibility a little more!:)

Sounds like you are or know a maitre d and want to get the word out. Sorry, we don't tip and on our next cruise, which is a 12 day, we will be asking him/her to change our table if we are put with a bunch of nuts. We are a family of 6 and I know there are tables for 6 on the Freedom. Now let's see if the maitre d can tell by our last name and connecting cabins and connecting reservation numbers if we should sit together. Seriously though, we should not have an issue here but if he can't figure it out beforehand and we need to ask for service, I think it is just plain incompetence. BTW, I have read on these boards that it is the Dining Room Server Manager that you need to speak with as well for certain issues. And yes, apparantly they are different than the Maitre. d. And please no singing!

Like most of the others, we tip for service, not just because we are reminded to. Last cruise on the Glory, the Maitre'd came by our table every evening but 1, helped with wine selection, etc. He received a tip. Other cruises, never seen a Maitre'd.

I guess we're the exception here because we always tip the M'D. We always request a table for two & are accomodated. We have received visits from the M'D on every cruise & not just on "tip night". :)

Our Liberty captain said he would have a tin can at the end of the walkway off the ship for tips. My Father in law (first time cruiser) went looking for the can to toss in a tip LOL.

Wow, I am somewhat surprised by most responses so far. We have always tipped the Maitre "D anywhere from $20.00 to $50.00 per cruise. This tip is a reflection of the service you received in the dining, lido and other food service areas. It is the Maitre "d's job to oversee the entire food operations and hundreds of staff, which is a huge job. I dont think people realize this and only tip if they feel the Maitre "d did something special for them. We have a friend who is a Maitre 'D on one of the ships so maybe we understand the depth of the responsibility a little more!:)

Does your friend tell you what salary they make to do there job?

If a ship hold 3000 people, that is 1500 per each dinning room, two Maitre D's. So, each couple tips $50. The Maitre 'D gets $37,500 per cruise plus Salary not bad.:eek:

Even if each cruiser tipped $1pp per day, they would get $1,500 per day.

No, I don't tip a Salaried Officer. No, I don't tip the Captain either Fred.

I have only tipped this person a couple of times. Even changing your dinning time if not given the time requested doesn't count for me. Other wise there is no reason to give you the time you adk for in the first place.

I don't tip anyone who does nothing for me and only comes to my table on the last night to chat for about 20 seconds. Too blatant for my tastes. However, I did tip the assitant maitre'd who visited with us every night and offered to show us where the spa was in case I wanted my hair done for our wedding the next day. I also saw that lady running her legs off every evening while the maitre'd just sauntered around like he was King of the World.

I stepped into the dining room and overheard the maitre'd barking and snapping at the dining room staff. It wasn't an isolated incident, it was to several employees over a period of time. "Management" who treats their workers that way get no respect from me.

Now if the maitre'd did something for me besides hold his/her hand out at the end of the cruise, that might be different.

I have tipped him one time and that was because he did a change to our seating, otherwise I don't tip. The one thing that really gets my temper going is when we don't see the maitre'd for days 1 thru 6 on our cruise then on the last nite he decides to make the rounds to each of the tables. I prefer to give extra to the wait staff when they the experience is excellent.

I've never seen the Maitre'd until the last night on Carnival. The first cruise we tipped because we didn't know any better. Both RCI cruises they visited every night, and cut the lobsters from the tails for the women, poured drinks for all around, gave advice for ports of call and generally had just good conversation. Both RCI cruises they received tips, Carnival once, and will tip later cruises if it warrants.

We took our first cruise in April and we feel the same as most do in this thread.

our waiters were the ones who went above and beyond for us, and we had the Maitre'd visit our table once for under 20 seconds. He didn't say much and it was actually a bit awekward. The 4 of us talked about it and we decided to give extra to our waiters! I do believe the Maitre'd has a tough job and I am sure he does it well, but I agree with everyone who says they are well paid to do that job.

Hi Everyone :)

Interesting thread. I'm a little curious about the scenarios in which the Maitre'D has gone above and beyond and deserved that little extra. In my opinion accommodating a table change request or accomodating a change in dining time would not be a scenario in which I would tip. I would conisder that too be part of the customer service/experience that they are there to provide. If it can be accommodated great, if it can't, no biggie. I would expect them to come around and see how things are going. If they do, great, if they don't no biggie. So i'm curious to see what the Maitre'D has done for you on one of your cruises that went above and beyond and deserved a tip at the end of the cruise.

Thanks!

Caroline

As the others have stated, only when he/she has done something extra for me. More often than not, I only see him/her on the last night standing at the exit of the dining room with his/her hand out.

Ken

"SKY"

Archived