Universal Waterproof Digital Camera Cases

Frohoss

Not sure if this has ever been posted but I thought I'd share my findings.

For those of us that enjoy swimming, snorkeling, and the beach and want to take underwater pictures with our digital cameras. I have come across a universal waterproof digital camera case. (also available for video cameras and cell phones)

There are about 5 dif. models based on the size of your camera. Google DiCAPac. Models WP-100, WP-300, WP-400, WP-500, WP-700

I bought mine off of ebay for around $35 total. You can also search DiCAPac on ebay and most listing will provide a chart to match your camera model to the model of waterproof case you will need.

Hope this helps for those that want to take some underwater pics etc...

My question is why not save money and buy a waterpoof camera. Olympus has two models available now that are both waterproof, shockproof, crushproof, and freezeproof! They have a lesser model (850SW--8MP)) that is good for one hour in 10 feet of water, and just came out with a 10MP 1030SW that is good for one hour in 33 feet of water!

I have 770SW 7MP that is good to 33 feet and it takes amazing pictures!!!! Who needs to spend money on a housing, buy a camera you can drop, step on, freeze, and take in the water!!!!

Olympus Stylus 850SW or 1030SW

My question is why not save money and buy a waterpoof camera. Olympus has two models available now that are both waterproof, shockproof, crushproof, and freezeproof! They have a lesser model (850SW--8MP)) that is good for one hour in 10 feet of water, and just came out with a 10MP 1030SW that is good for one hour in 33 feet of water!

I have 770SW 7MP that is good to 33 feet and it takes amazing pictures!!!! Who needs to spend money on a housing, buy a camera you can drop, step on, freeze, and take in the water!!!!

Olympus Stylus 850SW or 1030SW

I have read your post before.

As far as saving money...$35 for a waterproof camera case is fairly cheap. Sure, you can go out and by another digital camera that is waterproof but I'm guessing it will be more than $35 ;) I'm guessing around $200 for the one you are speaking about?

I was just throwing this out there for those of us that have a perfectly working digital camera and would like to shoot an occasional underwater photo. A $35 case seems more practical rather than buying another camera that is waterproof. IMHO That's all I'm saying.

Now if I didn't already have a digital camera...I'd probably go with your recommendation above.

Not sure if this has ever been posted but I thought I'd share my findings.

For those of us that enjoy swimming, snorkeling, and the beach and want to take underwater pictures with our digital cameras. I have come across a universal waterproof digital camera case. (also available for video cameras and cell phones)

There are about 5 dif. models based on the size of your camera. Google DiCAPac. Models WP-100, WP-300, WP-400, WP-500, WP-700

I bought mine off of ebay for around $35 total. You can also search DiCAPac on ebay and most listing will provide a chart to match your camera model to the model of waterproof case you will need.

Hope this helps for those that want to take some underwater pics etc...

Thanks for the info! Will be looking into this for sure

I have a Dicapac that I bought on eBay. I've used it snorkeling and at the beach and pool. The pool shots were great, but while snorkeling, the part over the zoom lens got a little off center and there is a bit of the case showing on some of my pictures. Maybe it was because of the wave action. The pictures didn't seem as clear as some that I've gotten with a waterproof disposable. Just my 2 cents.

Sewut

I shelled out the $200 for a waterproof casing for my Canon 600 and couldn't be happier. I use it snorkeling and in sporting events where there is a chance of rain.

I thought about the Olympus waterproof but the 10ft and one hour limit scares me. Last time we snorkeled we were in the water at least an hour.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just get several of those water proof cameras that you turn in to have the film developed. You can get the pictures put on a CD now or just have them developed. I understand that the OP only spent $30.00, but I am not sure I would trust my expensive digital camera to something I do not know will actually keep my camera dry.

I picked up the Olympus 1030SW before my last cruise. It was awesome for the snorkling, at the pool, and just general use. It was really nice not to have to worry about cases or anything like that. I don't know anything about 1 hour limits, the olympus web site doesn't say anything about it, and I definitely had the camera in the pool for whole afternoon. My only (minor) complaint was that the black on the front scratched some (from the tiles on the pool)

I wasn't confident with the strap that came with the camera, so I picked up a rubber strap one from the local dive shop.

If your talking about the plastic bag type pack, don't use them. I've seen more people lose their camera's because they malfunction. Either get a disposable waterproof camera, or the new Olympus camera's or a housing for your specific camera. Those bag type things are not reliable.....

Archived