Digital SLR and Lenses for Alaska

DJD-Houston

Deborah...just back from two AK cruises (HAL Veendam and Volendam) so can now give you REAL info on what I used. For photos out of the small fixed-wing plane, I used my 24-105 with just UV filter on and it was perfect. I could zoom in a bit if I wanted to "crop out" the wings of the plane, but other times, I wanted the wings a bit for "atmosphere." Used TV at 1600 to remove movement. NO IS on. MF at infinity. All photos were in focus...at least for my use.

I used the 100-400 a LOT. I decided I'd just do "animals or closeups" mostly (used a point and shoot for scenes I wanted to just remember). Whenever I had the 24-105 on, THAT's when the whale would Spy Hop or the eagle would fly over, etc....so I ended up just keeping the long lens on most the time. Got some cute shots of sea otters on ice floes, etc. that other folks couldn't get.

One thing I didn't do...bring all my "cleaning gear" for cleaning the sensor and with all the lens changes it got DIRTY! UGH! Major Photoshop work on many photos now. Lesson learned. So, bringing only the two lenses (24-105 and 100-400) were fine. I did some "stitchable photos" with the 24-105 that I shall try to put together later. A professional photographer gave me a great recommendation....ptgui for stitching. He did some awesome stitches (Ok, he had a Leica) using it, so it convinced me...it'll save taking a wider angle lens if I can get it to work well. Expensive, but worth it.

I wish for you the great weather and scenery we saw! AWESOME trip. Highlight was Taku Glacier Lodge trip out of Juneau.

Jan

It sounds like you had a wonderful time, Jan, and I can't wait to see some photos! I love re-living my Alaska trip.

I had the same experience, I kept the 100-400 most of the time because I'm most interested in wildlife. Otherwise I used the 24-105 and I found that it was very useful for a variety of shots. Did you use a tri- or mono- pod for anything?

Hi Jan. Thank you so much for the update, I'm glad you had such a great trip! Your report has made me even more anxious to go . . . I don't know how I'm going to wait until the end of July! And I really can't wait for the Taku Glacier Lodge trip!! :D

I did break down and purchase the 100-400. I've been trying it out for the last week or so and I'm getting more and more comfortable with it. Considering the distance of the wildlife I think your report has convinced me that, even though I might miss the 2.8 aperture, the 70-200 f/2.8 would not see enough use to justify hauling it along. I'm still wavering on the 16-35. Although it's not light, it is relatively small compared to the 70-200, so we'll see. In addition to the 100-400 I'll definitely bring the 24-105 as well as the sensor cleaning gear, just in case!

Thanks again for your report. It has helped a lot to hear from someone with such similar equipment options and an, apparently, similar photography style and interest! I'd love to see some of your photos if you'd like to post a link when you have time!! :)

Deborah

I also brought with me multiple lenses with me whenever I goes out shooting. I found it is convenient to have at least two camera bodies so I can mount a wide angle lens on one and a telephoto lens on another. It saves a lot of trouble for having to switch lenses. I made a deal with my photography buddy to lend each other the camera body if one of us is going out for vacation.

Archived