General Immersion Thread (merged)

Would you cruise an immerson cruise?  

493 members have voted

1. 1. Would you cruise an immerson cruise?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe - It depends how much I know about how the cruise will differ from regular cruises.

you've totally missed the point. People purchsed a vacation and the vacation has changed through no fault of their own. I cruise to different countries because on board i know English will be the primary language. When i go ashore i enjoy the new cultures and muddle terribly with the language, which is why i use the ships excusions mostly. I don't plan to covert my money into Euros and pay a transaction fee and take a beating on the exchange rate either.

I've only done Caribbean cruises originating in the US so I understand that $US would be the currency of choice for such a cruise. But I am surprised that $US would be the currency for cruises originating in Europe, or the east, or wherever. I would think it would make more sense if on board currency matched the cruise location. If you are starting out in Europe, visiting European ports and ending in Europe, why would the currency be in $US and not Euros?

I've only done Caribbean cruises originating in the US so I understand that $US would be the currency of choice for such a cruise. But I am surprised that $US would be the currency for cruises originating in Europe, or the east, or wherever. I would think it would make more sense if on board currency matched the cruise location. If you are starting out in Europe, visiting European ports and ending in Europe, why would the currency be in $US and not Euros?

Let me throw in a third currency, as some of those cruises depart from UK, why use Euro and not GBP as the UK does not use the Euro.;)

And what currency use when sailing on the Jewel out of Harwich UK / GPB to the Baltics, stopping in Norway (NOK / Norwegian Krone), Denmark (DKK / Danish Krone), Sweden (SEK / Swedish Krona), Finland (Euro), Russia (Ruble), Estonia (EEK / kroon);)

What I find interesting is that every time I call RCCL I get a different answer about the immersion on my 27 June sailing to the Baltics on Jewel.

First Response (RC-USA): Yes, it's a Scandanavian immersion. They didn't have any further information.

2nd Response (RC-USA Supervisor): Yes, it's a Scandanavian. Assumed that the currency would be Euros, and they would speak Scandanavian (a language that doesn't exist). They also said that they assumed the food would be geared toward this region as well as the entertainment.

3rd Response (RC-UK): It is immersion, but it's USA immersion. Most things would be geared toward US tastes. US Dollars would be used.

4th Response (RC-USA): Immersion only means that the majority of passengers on the boat would be from a particular area. US Dollars would be used. They might bring local artists, etc on board to sell their crafts and those prices might be in Euros, but I could always ask for the price in US Dollars. Everything else would be like any other cruise we've taken.

I just think that the CS staff should be better informed. Last night the CS supervisor was literally reading her answer off of a 2 paragraph email she rec'd on the 15th. Perhaps Royal should make a statement about this--Either on Cruise Critic or via email.

We are sailing on the 14 night Italian Mediterranean Cruise in July leaving from Southampton. We were just recently notified by phone that we would experience European food and languages. They never said the words "immersion". When I called Royal Caribbean this morning, I was then informed this was a "British Immersion" cruise. Like others, I booked this well over a year ago. We have never been to Europe, and this is to celebrate my son's high school graduation. Part of the reason we chose our first trip to Europe to be on a cruise was so we could experience the different cultures, yet at the same time have the comfort of returning to the ship (something familiar) at the end of the day. Before I booked this I had spoken with friends who have cruised the Med on RCCL and they told me it wasn't much different from the usual Royal Caribbean experience, so that is what I was expecting. One of the major issues I have with this is that people should be notified when booking the cruise, not after FINAL PAYMENT was due, as is my situation. We also have some extended family traveling with us, so we are not going to cancel as we have already had flights, private tours, etc. booked well in advance, and the language will still be english. I was also told that our seapass would be charged in US dollars; I was worried after I read a thread that said transactions would be in euros because that could add additional cost to an already very expensive vacation. I am not happy about these last minute changes though, because we were expecting one product, and are receiving another. If I had wanted British immersion, I would have booked on a British cruise line. If a lot of you Brits are also unhappy with these changes, I would let RCCL know that you too, had different expectations.

As long as it is not a "Total Immersion" cruise due to the ship sinking, I'd go on it. :p

Actually, we enjoy cruising to get exposure to different cultures. This sounds like an interesting approach by RCI.

Eric

I think that is unfair. This isn't a case of xenophobia. This is a case of pax booking one trip and being told it has now changed to another trip.

If people didn't want to experience different cultures they wouldn't book cruises from different countries. I think the issue is that they are basically being forced into an immersion. If the cruise was advertised as an immersion to begin with no one would have any room to complain.

Really? That you aren't reading the comments from many people on the thread. They want American food, American language and an American experience while they are in Europe, Asia and South America. I've read the complaints on CC from people when cruising on a ship leavin from Puerto Rico and there are groups from Puerto Rico. I like CC, but some people don't realize when their comments go over the top. I've heard people on ships chastise foreign staff for not speaking English. I've seen the xenophobia firsthand.

Has nothing to do with that at all. When I book a cruise, I book it due to what is being offered at the time of the booking. If the cruise line changes the on board atmosphere then I have a right to be upset. If I wanted a cruise for example that was British then I would book P&O or Fred Olsen and not RCI.

Cruise lines have written in their contract many things... but I don't remember that the contracts guarantee that you will be eating American food, served in American English and pay in American dollars.

As I said before, I want a list of these cruises, because frankly they are more interesting to me. I'd even consider paying more if I knew that a cruise leaving from Barcelona was offering Spanish food and Spanish produce. Or a cruise from Greece with Greek food and produce. Argentinian beef on a cruise in South America. Damn... I have to find out more about these immersion cruises!

If you want to vacation in a compound.... may I suggest Jamaica. I want to really see and enjoy the culture of another country when I go there.

RCI has a product we Americans have come to appreciate and that's why we stayed loyal. Following that trusted product around the world is chance to go someplace other than Mexico' date=' Alaska, Caribbean, etc. A [i']little flavor[/i] of any destination is appreciated. It's this "immersion" word that has frosted my cookies.

Again, I say: "what I want is to be immersed into comfort":D Now THAT would be an advertising campaingn I'd enjoy!

My sentiments exactly. When I'm traveling in Europe on LAND, I have chosen to be immersed. When I'm traveling in Europe on a ship (that has traditionally operated in U.S Dollars exclusively) I expect to be able to go ashore and then come back to a familiar environment with familiar food and familiar menus and familiar currency and familiar language announcements, etc. Is RCI also going to change the currency on the slot machines???

Ok being called a xenophobe because I dont relish the idea of cruising in Chinese. Wow. Nice. Like Cruzin' above I have travelled all over the world and I continue to do so because I enjoy it. Sometimes I go by land and sometimes I go by sea. And that is because they are (were) different experiences.

The Xenophobia argument is a crock of doo-doo ! We wouldn't be choosing to cruise to foreign lands if we were Xenophobic.

Well then shame on me then for thinking people would realize that leaving from China, Europe, S. America or SE Asia, most pax would not be Americans, without having to be told.

I cannot write about the Asian or S. American cruises but I've done quite a few European and Transatlantic cruises -- see my signature --Every one of those cruises had an overwhelming majority of American passengers. Say the ship holds 2000 people...1,500 of them would be American passengers with 400 mostly Brits and Canadians and the other 100 of different nationalities. That's the way it's been on all of my cruises.

RCI has always used U S DOLLARS as the standard currency onboard their ships. That is why we continue to think of RCI as an American product. If RCI now wants to do a marketing blitz in Asian and European countries, more power to them. IF the passenger demographics has English-speaking passengers in the minority, then I can understand the company would want to make some changes. However, we've all now been warned. I'm sure there will be a company who will be more than willing to accommodate the English-speaking customers RCI is going to lose over the "immersion" decision and I'll be more than happy to change my booking to them.

We are consumers and if we don't like what one company is offering, we can move on to another company who will meet our needs and expectations. I have a cruise booked out of Barcelona next year and I will be calling RCI to find out what changes they are making on this cruise. If it's something I can't live with, I'll cancel and book on another cruiseline. As of now, this cruise is nearly sold out and I'm sure it's filled to the brim with Americans.

OH...one last thought: IF RCI changes the ship's currency , will they also change my OBC of $200 into 200 Euros or 200 Pounds? I don't think so. :mad:

Let me throw in a third currency, as some of those cruises depart from UK, why use Euro and not GBP as the UK does not use the Euro.;)

And what currency use when sailing on the Jewel out of Harwich UK / GPB to the Baltics, stopping in Norway (NOK / Norwegian Krone), Denmark (DKK / Danish Krone), Sweden (SEK / Swedish Krona), Finland (Euro), Russia (Ruble), Estonia (EEK / kroon);)

Good question. I would think the logical currency to use would be the currency for the countrythat the ship is sailing from and (normally) returning to. But hey, what the heck do I know about it? ;)

For me, it would be easier if they just used Canadian $ for ALL cruises.:D

Good question. I would think the logical currency to use would be the currency for the countrythat the ship is sailing from and (normally) returning to. But hey, what the heck do I know about it? ;)

For me, it would be easier if they just used Canadian $ for ALL cruises.:D

I actually like the USD as onboard currency. Couldn´t be better at the current exchange rate;) :D :cool:

I guess you booked the cruise just before ours...if you are on the Legend you are on an Asian immersion cruise...:(

But what you say is quite interesting!

How good can the service be if our needs and requests cannot be understood or met due to language differences..

I'm booked on Azamara's Quest. It is an RCL product so I am watching carefully to see if it becomes an Immersion cruise. It is a rather expensive cruise over $10,000 with air so I resent having it shoved down my throat. My idea of immersion was to take the pre package to hong Kong and spend three days there before the cruise and enjoy the 'differences" at my own pace and my own choosing.

As I said before, I want a list of these cruises, because frankly they are more interesting to me. I'd even consider paying more if I knew that a cruise leaving from Barcelona was offering Spanish food and Spanish produce. Or a cruise from Greece with Greek food and produce. Argentinian beef on a cruise in South America. Damn... I have to find out more about these immersion cruises!

My husband and I said the same thing last night!! I even went to the RCL website but as far as I could see they aren't identified any differently. The only one I might find a bit much is Asia but ... then It would be quite interesting to discover what "Asian Language" is since everywhere we went they spoke a different language!!

However I too would like to know more about this (of course I would like to know it before I booked .. I do sympathize with people on that point!!)

Didn't relish being called a xenophobe either,MS...I guess pack up your Rosetta Stone in Mandarin for our cruise..DH loves it for his Spanish lessons!

I don't believe Ephraim has called anyone out specifically as xenophobic, however I've read this entire thread and clearly there's xenophobia to be found here.

I don't believe Ephraim has called anyone out specifically as xenophobic, however I've read this entire thread and clearly there's xenophobia to be found here.

Man, you get the award of CC adicted member of the year! :eek:

I hope that by making a funny I don't endanger the topic. Of course, they have to find it actually funny.

I have a cruise booked out of Barcelona next year and I will be calling RCI to find out what changes they are making on this cruise. If it's something I can't live with, I'll cancel and book on another cruiseline. As of now, this cruise is nearly sold out and I'm sure it's filled to the brim with Americans.

Actually at the last count a lot of the Barcelona's sailing's have been around 70% Spanish, a numer of Brits and some American's. If you read some of the member reviews you'll see. ;)

Shame its not Spanish\Italian Immersion I could quite happily live of paella, fresh fish, pasta, risotto and tapas for a week. :D

What I find interesting is that every time I call RCCL I get a different answer about the immersion on my 27 June sailing to the Baltics on Jewel.

First Response (RC-USA): Yes, it's a Scandanavian immersion. They didn't have any further information.

2nd Response (RC-USA Supervisor): Yes, it's a Scandanavian. Assumed that the currency would be Euros, and they would speak Scandanavian (a language that doesn't exist). They also said that they assumed the food would be geared toward this region as well as the entertainment.

3rd Response (RC-UK): It is immersion, but it's USA immersion. Most things would be geared toward US tastes. US Dollars would be used.

4th Response (RC-USA): Immersion only means that the majority of passengers on the boat would be from a particular area. US Dollars would be used. They might bring local artists, etc on board to sell their crafts and those prices might be in Euros, but I could always ask for the price in US Dollars. Everything else would be like any other cruise we've taken.

I just think that the CS staff should be better informed. Last night the CS supervisor was literally reading her answer off of a 2 paragraph email she rec'd on the 15th. Perhaps Royal should make a statement about this--Either on Cruise Critic or via email.

Tara,

the fact is customer service staffing is given very little info. ofcourse, they shold be able to answer almost every question we have, but this , sadly, is not the case!

I just sent off a letter to the ceo of rcl explaining that rcl just lost a alaska booking and maybe all future booking!

I'm sure rcl's stragey is to lie low and hope this just drifts away.

as i have posted many times, the issue is that this cruise should have been advertised for what it is!!!

My gut feeling is that this was a last minute change due to low booking. THIS DAMNED THING WAS NOT THOUGHT OUT by the decisions makers at rcl and haveing made a poor decision they are stuck between a rock and a hard place!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually at the last count a lot of the Barcelona's sailing's have been around 70% Spanish, a numer of Brits and some American's. If you read some of the member reviews you'll see. ;)

Shame its not Spanish\Italian Immersion I could quite happily live of paella, fresh fish, pasta, risotto and tapas for a week. :D

I've been on 4 cruises out of Barcelona. The last one was April, 2007 -- so things might have changed a bit as to the demographics. Maybe more people from Spain have been "getting out there." As I wrote, on ALL of my cruises out of Barcelona, the Americans have been in the vast majority. I'd like to read a member review that says 70% were Spanish. If you've got a link, I'd appreciate it. :)

My only question on the Asian immersion is... what language is going to be predominant? There are several dialects of Chinese.. or is it going to be Japanese? How are they going to decide who gets to understand what's going on and who doesn't?

we have had the same experience the last few years..leaving out barcelona..the vast majority of cruisers have be u.s.!

i dont have any issues with immersion cruise as long as they are advertised as such...and this is the problem. rcl made last minute changes to bookings all ready paid for! they changed the rules of the game in the 11th hour....they just lost my alaska booking and perhapes all future bookings. there are many good options to rcl!! look how they are treating north americans who will be flying great distances, and spending vast sums of money on euro-htoles...food....etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for a co. that depends on repeat booking this is insane. bad decisions made by folks who hope this subject just drifts away like a harmless cloud!

I swear, I didn't realize there were so many people who lived in such small boxes! Poor Americans....we think we rule the world and it's seas.... We've yet to accept the fact that we share the planet with several billions of people who have the same right and access to vacations and cruises as we do.

Many of us are so unbelievably intolerant and so fearful of those different from ourselves.

How very sad.

I've been on 4 cruises out of Barcelona. The last one was April, 2007 -- so things might have changed a bit as to the demographics. Maybe more people from Spain have been "getting out there." As I wrote, on ALL of my cruises out of Barcelona, the Americans have been in the vast majority. I'd like to read a member review that says 70% were Spanish. If you've got a link, I'd appreciate it. :)

Sorry I don't have enough life to read through all the member reviews again.. and search isn't playing. It was referring to the amount of people late dining, as its later in Spain than the rest of Europe, so this was full very quickly. I remember it clearly because I remember being very surprised at the number, and thinking I'd have to brush up on my Spanish. However, my sister is on the Navigator now and I'm on Voyager next week and I'd be more than happy give you an up to date idea.. :) Over the past 12 months there has been a HUGE increase in the advertising by RCCL over here, and cruising is really starting to take off, so I would be surprised to find out that the demographic HADN'T changed.

Sorry I don't have enough life to read through all the member reviews again.. and search isn't playing. It was referring to the amount of people late dining, as its later in Spain than the rest of Europe, so this was full very quickly. I remember it clearly because I remember being very surprised at the number, and thinking I'd have to brush up on my Spanish. However, my sister is on the Navigator now and I'm on Voyager next week and I'd be more than happy give you an up to date idea.. :) Over the past 12 months there has been a HUGE increase in the advertising by RCCL over here, and cruising is really starting to take off, so I would be surprised to find out that the demographic HADN'T changed.

Thanks. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know the demographics. Very kind of you to offer to post. :)

Your original post said, "Actually at the last count a lot of the Barcelona's sailing's have been around 70% Spanish"I really don't believe that is factual for "a lot" of the sailings. What IS true on European sailings is that Late Seating is always booked up first -- not only because of the Europeans sailing on the ship who are used to dining later, but also because these cruises are very port intensive and a lot of the excursions get you back to the ship quite late, making it difficult to shower, dress, and get to the early seating on time.

Have a great cruise on the Voyager. :) And if you remember to post when you get back, I'd really like to know the demographics. Usually, the captain will give out those numbers during the Welcome party.

I'm booked on Azamara's Quest. It is an RCL product so I am watching carefully to see if it becomes an Immersion cruise. It is a rather expensive cruise over $10,000 with air so I resent having it shoved down my throat. My idea of immersion was to take the pre package to hong Kong and spend three days there before the cruise and enjoy the 'differences" at my own pace and my own choosing.

I am booked on AZAMARA for Turkey and Egypt this November, as far as I have been informed, AZAMARA is not running immersion cruises.

As for choosing immersion, I agree with you..."my own pace and my own choosing!"

I swear' date=' I didn't realize there were so many people who lived in such small boxes! Poor Americans....we think we rule the world and it's seas.... We've yet to accept the fact that we share the planet with several billions of people who have the same right and access to vacations and cruises as we do.

Many of us are so unbelievably intolerant and so fearful of those different from ourselves.

How very sad.[/quote']

Well said. This whole topic is making Americans out to be incredible rubes. Let's see, we book a cruise sailing from Southampton on a ship whose home port is Southampton and, oh my, we might have to endure British food and, oh no, English comics. What I want to know is what is British food? Last time I was in England seemed the cuisine was very similar to the States, meat and potatos.

Archived