Noumea, prices for taxi, lunch etc

Hi All, Wanted to check with all of you amazingly knowledgeable travelers about prices as I got well and truely ripped off the last time I was in Vanuatu. I thought I might prepare myself for Noumea and the Isle of pines, I am imagining Ouvea to be similar to Lifou, so it's a walker.

Does anyone know what the average price of the taxi is in Noumea, I do understand that Noumea is a lot more expensive that Vila. And what would a coffee or wine be.

Anything that you good people think would be helpful would be appreciated.

My 19 year old daughter and I are doing a mother daughter trip with this next one on the Pac Dawn, and I am ever so excited, just can't wait to see the Dawn.

We got a taxi in Noumea in February. The system is rather like it is in Australia - taxi metres. No bartering, no getting ripped off. After your experience in Vila, I think that would be good news. We had a taxi for an hour to do a sightseeing trip and it cost a little bit under $40. You must have francs. These are obtainable from the Purser's office and the exchange rate is in the vicinity of 74 XPF to $1.

On our next visit we plan on taking a taxi to the Tjibaou Cultural Centre. It is a museum detailing the Kanak culture, and the building is really something to see. They are open until 5pm every day (except Mondays) and entry is around $6.75 (free for over 65s). The taxi fare to the centre is around $20 each way.

Taxis are not lined up in Noumea as they are in Vila. To get to the cab rank, when you leave the cruise terminal walk to the right and cross the road at the traffic lights. Continue up that street for 3 blocks. The taxi rank is in an open square on your right. The taxis are mid-size vehicles that can accommodate up to 4 passengers. :):)

We haven't gone to a wine bar or bought coffee in Noumea. Probably Lemon Bay would be the place for that.

Isle of Pines - The locals have a sightseeing trip for A$15 pp. It is OK. The mini buses are parked on the left a couple of hundred metres after you leave the wharf. We have done that trip a couple of times, but not bought anything on the Isle of Pines. Fantastic place to swim and snorkel.

There is a hop-on hop-off bus for about $15 (Aus) which is quite good value.

If you want a good place to eat - we were based in Anse Vata (the beach front) and visited a Vietamese restaurant called "Along the Beach" - very small - set back from the road on the north side of the beach. The food excellent and reasonably priced.

Hi Ela,

This advice is wonderful. Last night I got out my street map of Noumea and had a look, so armed with this info you have given me and the map Noumea is looking good. And yes an honest taxi with metre is something I am going to feel a lot more secure with!

Do you by any chance know where the little scooter cars are? I know my daughter will want to try these.

Thanks heaps,

Glenda

Thanks bluerinselady,

I am going to have a look on my map and try the Vietamese restaurant called "Along the Beach". It is so nice to receive this type of advice as it does make all the difference when visiting somewhere when someone else has tried it.

Glenda

ê¿ê

Hi Ela,

This advice is wonderful. Last night I got out my street map of Noumea and had a look, so armed with this info you have given me and the map Noumea is looking good. And yes an honest taxi with metre is something I am going to feel a lot more secure with!

Do you by any chance know where the little scooter cars are? I know my daughter will want to try these.

Thanks heaps,

Glenda

Hi Glenda,

I thnk I saw some parked to the right of the cruise terminal. Don't know if you need Pacific Francs for these or how much they cost. Someone else on this forum will probably know.

Every cruise is a good cruise, but you have a GREAT cruise.:)

Thanks Ela,

After the last cruise I know this one will be amazing. Even with all of the dramas we had on the last one I still loved it. So this one is sort of to make up for the past problems a little bit.

I think I am now officially a cruise addict, I drive my family nuts talking about them and I have subscribed to the magazine and all of the cruise newsletters and I love this CC board!

:D

Do you mean these?

2517586944_490f4bf1f3.jpg?v=0

I can't remember the price exactly, buy I remember them being fairly expensive. Maybe someone else remembers the price.

BTW, Phil only sat in it for the photo. :p Ela 2 is right, they are parked directly next to the terminal and they had a few of them.

Thanks Brushtail,

That is such a cool photo, :D these little things look like heaps of fun and would certainly make for a memorable day. But if they are too expensive they might just blow the budget. I know my daughter will really want to try them. She loves quad bikes and well anything really that moves.

I want to also get some info and photos for my eldest son while I am there on the kite boarding. He is a kite boarding nut and Noumea is one of the best places to kite board. So if I get all the info on this trip, next trip when he is with us he may get the chance to try it out there. He had planned to on the last trip, but 2 hours in the evening didn't exactly give him the opportunity!

Thanks heaps, glenda

A great place for a coffee is the coffee place at the local market - a short walk away from the front off the ship. They have the best coffee, it comes in a large soup like bowl and costs about the equivalent of $4. Lots of other things sold at this market including chocolates and french pastries at a reasonable price. Need to go in the morning as they close early.:)

A great place for a coffee is the coffee place at the local market - a short walk away from the front off the ship. They have the best coffee, it comes in a large soup like bowl and costs about the equivalent of $4. Lots of other things sold at this market including chocolates and french pastries at a reasonable price. Need to go in the morning as they close early.:)

Thanks Suey,

Sounds fabulous, I will make sure we do this first thing.:)

Archived