Stupid fear?

aubriee

It sounds like you really indulge your anxieties....If you chose to indulge them, then yes, you will probably have some anxiety on the ship (but that's kind of the point of chosing to indulge them...isn't it?). The ships can be tall, with lots of open spaces up high. Fortunately, the tender boarding is only a few feet off the water, so I don't think you'll have a problem getting on/off.

I know it's not likely, but vacations are a great opportunity to work on yourself and start making better choices about how to handle fear. Life is too short to avoid living it. Try parasailing.

OK you're either not reading the OP's posts, or this is your idea of a sick joke.

aubriee: I've got that height phobia too, and I won't lie -- I had a few uncomfortable moments. For me, the gangway wasn't too bad; it's all a blur now, but I seem to remember it being enclosed which helped. Chattering to my companions did too. In any case, it's not a long distance. Tendering was no problem; you're not high at all there.

My two worst places on board were the railings over water, and the railing overlooking the centrum of the ship -- about 8 or 10 stories. :eek: I stayed 4-5 feet away, and I was just fine.

You've got a great attitude, and I think you're going to have a blast.

I made a decision a long time ago, to never allow irrational fears control me, or prevent me from doing what I want, or having fun.

If you chose to let your fears rule your life, instead of the other way around, then you just have to accept the limitations imposed by your choice.

It's your life, and your choice. You don't have to chose to allow fear to rule you, but if that is what you chose, then just accept the limitations, and be happy staying home.

It sounds like you really indulge your anxieties....If you chose to indulge them, then yes, you will probably have some anxiety on the ship (but that's kind of the point of chosing to indulge them...isn't it?). The ships can be tall, with lots of open spaces up high. Fortunately, the tender boarding is only a few feet off the water, so I don't think you'll have a problem getting on/off.

I know it's not likely, but vacations are a great opportunity to work on yourself and start making better choices about how to handle fear. Life is too short to avoid living it. Try parasailing.

Excuse me! I've already said I would never let any fear rule my life. I travel several times a year and normally fly. I just don't like it:) . I drive over tall bridges when I have to, but again don't like them. What concerns me about the cruise is getting on and off of the ship. I simply asked how wide those walkways were and what kind of railings were on each side of them to seperate you from the water. I have every intention of enjoying my cruise. I just won't be doing any zip lines or parasailing and I don't feel like I will be missing anything, by not doing so.:D I love the water and sightseeing, so am sure I can find plenty to enjoy.

As I said in my above post, I will never let a fear rule my life. I have reason to be afraid of heights (not that it's any of your business, but I was stuck up in the very top of a very tall tree--taller than our house--for several hours back when I was about 4 y/o old and my baby sitter didn't bother to check on me from around 8:00am-12:00pm).

I have every intention of enjoying my cruise (hopefully with people nicer than you). I try to avoid things that are unpleasant to me (heights and people like you). Is there any particular reason you are so rude? To the rest of you thank you very much for answering my original question, which was simply how far in the air, how wide, and what is on either side of those walkways getting on and off the boat. Funny as it sounds, I am not too concerned as long as I have the boat under my feet, it's the walkway I am concerned about. I don't like feeling like I am suspended in midair.

I think you will be just fine. As others have said...the walkways are way larger than any 'gangplank' you may have in mind.

I would recap by stating the initial boarding of the ship (I assume in FL) will be the highest. It is usually Deck 4,5,or 6. But in Miami and Ft.L - these are very large, very wide, very high railings. My point is to remind you not to let that first walk across - be the yardstick you think the rest of the trip will be. All other ports you mentioned - you get off at the dock level. There is barely a gap to notice of only a few feet down.

The other point is the ship 'grows' as you drive up to it the first day. Meaning that as you come in from the airport or hotel, you see the ship at dock - it looks just like in all the brochures. But as you drive up to the curb and even walk into the terminal - it really starts to rise up and be the multi-story hotel it is. Again, I say this not to make your next 7 months all jittery. but I think that by knowing what to expect - your reactions will be so much better. Don't let the sight of the size of the ship let your boarding time become anxious - once you are on it, it no longer feels that big or tall.

Esp when at sea, the water just goes on forever. I would bet that if you approach the rail and watch to the horizon, there will be no sensation at all. The relaxing salt air will do your Texas lungs a wonderful service. Would I look straight down the side of the ship? Nah, at least not at first.

I am terrified of heights too. But I'm not getting any younger so I'm definitely not letting this fear stop me from enjoying life. And you may want to keep that same mindset. I have never flown in my life, never been on a cruise ship, never a roller coaster (once by accident, but thank God no flips). So just keep telling yourself, let go and live, breath in and breath out. LOL I don't have a choice now, it's booked! HTH

Erica

Archived