Whistler

I have just returned from several days in Whistler. For those comtemplating a drive up to the the Host Mountain Resort of the 2010 Winter Olympics you will find a fair amount of construction on the highway in preparation for the Olympics. The the highway is closed only in the wee hours of the morning but otherwise is open during the day with just only the occasional delay lasting a few minutes. Construction speed limits of 50 and 60 kms cover about 40% of the highway which means that the drive up there will take just a litttle over 2 hours in either direction from downtown Vancouver.

On an earlier thread someone described the drive as "scary". I would describe it as most enjoyable and the furtest thing from scary. If you drive the construction speed limits you will see some of the prettiest scenery in the province and lay eyes on some amazing construction activiity.

As a footnote, as skiing is pretty much over (although they do ski the higher elevations all year long) many of the restaurants are offering some pretty good deals on dinners for the month of May and I suspect this will extend into at least early June.

Have to agree with PD - the drive up is more fun at a slower speed - you actually get to see the scenery. Some people still don't get what a construction speed limit is - there are a number of flashing signs indicating what speed you are going in the zone - a car a couple in front of me registered 97 in a 60 speed zone - where are the RCMP when they are needed - most people were within 10KPH of the speed yours truly included.

It was interesting on Thursday in the Village watching the skiers and boarders getting on the Blackcomb lifts while a short distance away the mountain bikers were getting on the Whistler chair to take them up to the mountain bike park.

Didn't stay as long as I wanted as I was having bike problems which I wanted fixed at my regular shop in Vancouver since they did the original work + plus reading the paper I notice an obit for a person from one of my volunteer societies and the service is later today.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks PD ...My information on the highway was that everything is Ok except for the zones... nice to have that confirmed.

Looking forward to a visit in November myself Just before the snow flies for the season. (I hope)

Archived