Review of NCL Shore Excursion: Rome - Classical City

If you have taken this NCL Shore Excursion...your thoughts please....also...how much time is spent in the Vatican?

This overview of Rome's classical era starts with an outside visit of the Colosseum, the symbol of the power of Imperial Rome. Proceed on foot to see the Roman Forum and the Capitonline Hill. Spend some time soaking up the history and enjoy the opportunity to take some memorable photos. After lunch, you will head by coach towards St. Peter's Basilica. Your guide will lead you towards the vast square in front of St. Peter's. After a visit of the Basilica, you will have some free time to explore the area on your own. Note: Guests, who are planning to visit religious sites during free time or on tour, please dress appropriately; no bare shoulders or shorts are allowed in churches.

I haven't taken the excursion, but according to the description, it doesn't include the Vatican Museums or the Sistine Chapel....just St. Peter's Basilica.

Also note that the Colosseum is viewed from the outside only...so as the descriptions says, it's an 'overview' of Rome.

My Hubby and I are traveling on NCL next week and to be honest I was not too pleased with the excursions they offered. As Susan in the last post indicated it appears there are some drive-bys and it excluded some key attractions.

What we wound up doing is making reservations for the Vatican and the Borghese on our own. We plan on taking the train, which according to several other people is very easy. The way we figure it, we will see much more and for a fraction of the price.

You may want to look into reservations on your own for the key things you want to see and do it on your own so you can cutomize your own excursion.

My Hubby and I are traveling on NCL next week and to be honest I was not too pleased with the excursions they offered. As Susan in the last post indicated it appears there are some drive-bys and it excluded some key attractions.

What we wound up doing is making reservations for the Vatican and the Borghese on our own. We plan on taking the train, which according to several other people is very easy. The way we figure it, we will see much more and for a fraction of the price.

You may want to look into reservations on your own for the key things you want to see and do it on your own so you can cutomize your own excursion.

We just returned from our NCL Gem cruise last week. Heard from other cruise passengers that the excursion they took didn't include tour of the inside of the colloseum. Personally I think the price is a rip-off. We took a taxi right where you disembark from the ship. The taxi can accommodate 8 passengers and the driver asked for 50 euro per person for a whole day (8-5) tour of Rome. We saw the Baths of Carracala, the Circus Maximus, the Palatino Hill-Forum-Colloseum, the Campigdolio, Trevi fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps and the St. Peter's Basilica (inside). There was no time for the Sistine Chapel as the lines were long. We're glad we bought the tickets for the colloseum at the Palatine Hill entrance (what a breeze), because the line at the colloseum (to buy tickets) was an hour or so waiting in line. In Florence, we also hired a taxi, same price. The driver gave a bonus tour to a family winery, with the usual Pisa and Florence tour. For first time visitors to Rome, I think hiring a taxi (with others) is the way to go. It's the same as the private tours - except of course, the vehicle is not a Mercedes and minus the uniformed chauffer/guide. You need to tell the driver exactly where you want to go and educate yourself as to the sights that you're visiting. Have fun, however you decide!

Archived