Belize excursion-private island or Caye Caulker

lucy2mb

I saw they have a new Private Island excursion in Belize. Has anyone been to it-if so, what was the cost. Also looking at Caye Caulker. Trying to decide which excursion in Belize. Narrowed it down to those two. We have been to Belize Zoo and Goff Caye.

you can go anywhere; the snorkeling is excellent from Ambergris Caye south I suppose as far as Roatan, with excellent guides available in Belize; but if you want to lie on a beach and look beautiful, Caye Caulker is NOT the place, as they have not yet located a beach. :rolleyes:

I'm with Driftwood on this. All reports declare Cay Caulker beachless.

Two years ago we went to Bannister Island and it was gorgeous. We booked with Fab Tours at the tenderdock, but I have read that Fab now has it's own island. I will have to check it out if I get back to Belize.

If you like to snorkel, this is the place.

Just wondering if you booked through the ship to go to Ambergris Caye. I read about an excursion where you swim around shark and was wondering if this is the place. I don't want to swim with shark but our son does.:confused:

I am glad to know there isn't a beach there. If we go to Ambergris Caye or Bannister Island, do we tender into Belize and get a taxi or bus or do we go straight there from the ship. When we went to Goff Caye, we went there on the tender from ship. I am the group leader of 27 people and want to tell them some pretty places that would be great for snorkeling.

The distance as the pelican flies from the Cruiseship Terminal in Belize City to San Pedro on Ambergris Caye is 31.74 miles, or 27.576 nautical miles. Boats would like to go in a straight line but usually do not. Unless you are flying a pelican or other fine airborne conveyance, it would take you and twenty-six others some while just to get there, and one supposes a similar period of time to return. When I was there the waters were not choppy, but the ride even to Caye Caulker was pretty tedious. The propinquity to Belize City I am sure is why Caye Caulker, distant only 19.3 miles, or 16.78 nautical miles, with so much less to offer in so many ways than Ambergris Caye, is marketed at all. IMHO neither of them is a hot bet for cruiseship passengers, who do not ordinarily have a lot of time to kick around in the Belize Port of Call. ;)

It seems it is now usual for passengers to tender in to the Cruiseship Terminal in Belize City, there to be met by their tour operator at the dock and put on a boat to the next objective, e.g. Bannister Island or Goff's Caye. This saves an immense amount of time and worry; and of course returning you directly to the Cruiseship Terminal at the end of your--Sea Excursion?--enables you to hop on the tender to your ship without having to plow through the street vendors and taxi drivers covering the street at the Caye Caulker Water Taxi Terminal (about two blocks to the south in Belize City, beside the notorious but aesthetically unimpressive Swing Bridge). Herding twenty-six people through that experience is something better to contemplate and avoid beforehand in the comfort of your living room than to endure on the broken or missing sidewalks of Belize City itself. If you want junk--or diamonds--both are readily available at the Cruiseship Terminal, as well as two large openair bars with stiff drinks of every description for sale. :rolleyes:

As for sharks, pretty much no one can guarantee them--the desired sharks are nurse sharks, who are as indolent as housecats and as little likely to comply with anyone's wishes either for their company or for their absence; I myself have seen no undesired sharks (Bull, Great White, Hammerhead, et al.); and the almost mystical Whale Sharks stay much farther to the south, so you will not encounter those; you probably will have no difficulty, if you wish, in encountering stingrays, which are more doglike and come around to be fed by the tour guides--and perhaps by you. But on the reef itself the enormous wealth of beautiful tropical fishes of many sizes and colors generally makes people forget about the sharks and the rays, and the waters of the Gulf of Honduras off the coast of Belize are so crystalline and the sun is so bright that almost anyone with a submersible camera of any description--yes, even the disposable ones that sell for about $12 US--can get a lot of very impressive snapshots underwater. :D

Personally I would ALWAYS follow clackey's advice--he has spent much more time in Belize than I have, and no doubt much more money, too! :D

Personally I would ALWAYS follow clackey's advice--he has spent much more time in Belize than I have, and no doubt much more money, too! :D

Thanks Driftwood, but you shouldn't ALWAYS follow my advice. Just ask my wife.;) We have been on 7 cruises in the Western Carribean and I learn something every trip and it usually comes from these boards. It is like fishing. About the time that I have things figured out they show me something new.

Oh, BTW, I'm cheap. Book the cheap seats at the cheapest time of year and read these boards like a Bible.

Our youngest daughter is graduating from high school 2 days before the cruise. She has been wanting to swim with dolphins for a long time. Any suggestions on best place for that and best price-Cozumel or Grand Cayman. Thanks for your help.:)

. . . the only place I have seen people swim with porpoises was at Sea World Orlando. They are stronger and faster than most high school graduates I have known, even me, so I would think it is more a matter of standing in one place and hoping they don't bump into you--if they are in the mood.

We were snorkeling in Grand Cayman, but there we pretty much had to satisfy ourselves with stingrays. We snorkeled in a cenote in Mexico, and a young manatee swam up from an outlet to the Gulf of Mexico, much to everyone's surprise, and stayed around for about twenty minutes; but evidently, as I, it found the cenote water a bit too cold, and it went out into the Gulf again. The waters around Cozumel are phenomenally deep, with strong currents, so we have been discouraged from swimming there at all.

Porpoises move around a lot, usually in pods, and you may see them from the Chesapeake Bay (and probably up to Newfoundland) down to I suppose Venezuela, swimming alongside the ship or down the coast; but if someone has devised a way to get them to hang around for photo ops in the open water, I haven't heard of it. There is usually a nice Green Moray around each part of the reef that guides can lead you to, however.

My experience in snorkeling around the Caribbean--from Sint Maarten to Belize--has been that you seldom do see what you think you are going to see, but there is always something fascinating that turns up unexpectedly. Anything that moves is probably beautiful. Of course the longer you are able to hang motionless on the surface, the more various creatures cease to take an interest in you and resume normal feeding behavior!

P.S. The stingrays in Belize will bump into you very reassuringly--they think you might give them food, which you might--one young woman with us squealed every time a stingray bumped into her, so I guess you could expect at least twenty "hits" in a half hour. They do seem to like young women much better than they like old geezers . . . .

I found dolphinaris.com where you can swim with and ride a dolphin-over $100. I know there is the Park in Cozumel that offers it but trying to find the best place. Also, available in Grand Cayman. Seems like I read a review several months ago that said you have less people if you book with private company. I will keep searching-thanks for your info.

Yes, they do have dolphins at Chankanaab Park. I found the park's site and emailed them. Have you been to the park before? My husband and 2 of our teenage children have been to Playa Mia 3 times and have enjoyed the beach there. Just wondering if the beach is as pretty at the park? Thanks for your help.

Yes, they do have dolphins at Chankanaab Park. I found the park's site and emailed them. Have you been to the park before? My husband and 2 of our teenage children have been to Playa Mia 3 times and have enjoyed the beach there. Just wondering if the beach is as pretty at the park? Thanks for your help.

We haven't been to Play Mia, but if it is like most beaches on the westside it is a sandy beach, not condusive to good snorkeling. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

We were at Chankanaab pre-Wilma. The sand was trucked in and the beach is made on rocky ironshore so entry into the water isn't down a gently sloping sandy bank. But the area has lots of fish for the snorkelers. This is one of the best areas to snorkel from shore. Then there is a Replica Mayan Village, a gorgeous inland lagoon, lots of palapas, lounge chairs, good food and cold drinks. They also had dolphins and sealions when we were there. All-in-all it makes for a nice day.

P.S. If you don't want to snorkel, Paradise Beach is a nice place with plenty of stuff for the youngins. You can see some pics on both of their websites.

Thanks for the info about the beach there. I think our group will go to Playa Mia or Paradise Island unless they want to swim with dolphins. I may have our daughter swim early because they have a 10:00 opening and then go to playa mia. Just wish I knew whether I should book before the cruise to save money. I need to look online at Carnival's price for the swim. I don't want it to already be booked when we get on the ship-that happened last year with an excursion we wanted in San Juan. I am looking at Bannister Beach now for our Belize excursion. Thanks for your suggestions.

I am looking at Bannister Beach now for our Belize excursion. Thanks for your suggestions.

Hi there! We have the Bannister Island Beach Break booked with carnival for this upcoming Thursday. I'll let you know how it is when we return (if I can remember!).

We were in Belize May 21 and did Bannister Island. We met in the Golden Dining Room at 9:00 and by about 9:15 they took us down and we got on the tender - no lines just the ones going to Bannister. Bannister is beautiful. Lots of little shells - you get a complimentary cup of rum or fruit punch. There is shade.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still up in the air about what to do in Belize. If anyone can answer a few questions about Bannister Island I'd be ever so greatful.

~How long of a ride is it to this island?

~ Will a water taxi take us to the island and pick us up when it's time to leave? If so any idea how much a water taxi might run for 4 adults?

I have looked at various tours and see this listed but it's always as a package to snorkeling, mantees etc. I'm just looking for a beach day.

Any other advice for a beach day in Belize? Thanks!

banister is a private island. you must arrange for a tour to visit. not any beaches close to the pier. As I am sure you have read Caye Caulker is lacking beaches, but the "Split is a great swimming hole. It is also very time consuming to get to the islands by water taxi. Caye Caulker is about 1/2 hour closer than San Pedro. But still 45 minutes by boat. If you can catch an early boat you will have a few hours on the island and time to shop.

Still up in the air about what to do in Belize. If anyone can answer a few questions about Bannister Island I'd be ever so greatful.

~How long of a ride is it to this island?

~ Will a water taxi take us to the island and pick us up when it's time to leave? If so any idea how much a water taxi might run for 4 adults?

I have looked at various tours and see this listed but it's always as a package to snorkeling, mantees etc. I'm just looking for a beach day.

Any other advice for a beach day in Belize? Thanks!

Check out Goff's Caye not as big as Caulker's Caye, it does have a beach area. It is very small but also has limited visitors. Not really a lot of chairs etc but very nice snorkeling if you wish. You can go directly to the caye or snorkel off boat. This was at most a 15-20 min trip by boar directly off ship. Pics look similar to above but a very small Caye. Really no shopping but food and drink is available. We only had drinks as we ate breakfast left to snorkel and were back on ship before lunch. This still left us with 1-2 hours to shop at the port shops. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Hopefully this is what you are looking for.

• 2 months later...