Question for Beachchick

ScarletKND

We just got back from our PofAm cruise last week and can't stop thinking about getting back to Hawaii. We want to plan a land vacation to Maui early next year. I know from reading these boards that you are the best person to ask about Maui. We've found some vacation rentals in Kahana and Honokowai. Would you recommend staying in either of those areas? We are going to rent a car and don't mind driving to nice beaches. The main things we're interested in are whale watching and snorkeling. We also want to try the Old Lahaina Luau and do the Road to Hana since we didn't have time during the cruise. Any advice you have would be much appreciated!

Aloha. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. Although I'm not sure I am the best person to ask about Maui, I appreciate your nice compliment. We do love "our" Maui.:D

We haven't stayed in either Kahana or Honokowai, but have friends who have and who really enjoyed being a bit out of (or at least, not in the middle of) the main "hustle and bustle" of the resort areas. I doubt you would go wrong with either one. Sounds like you're looking at condo/apt/house instead of hotel/resort? If so, good choice no matter where you stay. We really like having a kitchen so we don't have to go out all the time (so nice sipping a cup of coffee and eating a bowl of pineapple while wearing our jammies and sitting on the lanai...sigh).

For the RTH, pack a picnic and get an extremely early start because you will have more than an hour's drive one-way just to get to the beginning of the RTH. It will be a long day, so I don't suggest planning a morning snorkel or whale watching trip the next day or going to OLL the night before.

From what we know, OLL is a very good luau choice. You've probably read other posts of mine where I mention that my DH and I don't attend commercial luaus, so I can't give you any first-hand feedback. You might want to check the local newspapers or community bulletin boards for any community luaus that might be fun.

Whale watching is always great from late December through April with peak times being January and February. You won't be able to "swing a dead squid" without hitting a whale (so to speak). If you take a snorkel excursion, other boat ride, or the ferry to lanai, you will see whales. A whale-watching-specific excursion would be good too, but we've always relied on the "casual" sightings (including just watching from the shore, especially at Papawai Point/MacGregor Point; check out the Pacific Whale Foundation and other websites for info on that). (Remember that there will not be jetskis or other motorized water activities allowed, particularly on Maui and the BI, during whale season.)

There's a bunch of good snorkeling off the beaches. I've written several detailed posts on "Best Snorkeling" and "Maui Snorkeling" threads over the past year or so and will try to find a couple of them for you. There's good info from several members. You might want to do a search ("plain" I guess because the advanced still isn't working) for "maui snorkel" (in quotes) or "best snorkel" or "best beach" or "maui beach" (or all of the above). That will give you a whole bunch of info to start narrowing down what you prefer.

Even with a week's stay, you won't be able to see and do everything there is to do--so stay as long as you can. (Gee, what a surprise I'd suggest that...);) In fact, there is so much that I can't really address your "any advice" question well at this point. One suggestion: Do take time to relax and allow the aloha spirit in and don't feel you must see and do everything just because you're on a land trip and will have more time. Do and see what you are interested in doing and seeing, not what others tell you that you "should" want to do or see.

Do you have Maui Revealed or another good guidebook? Also, check out the Maui chamber of commerce website for local events. There's just nothing like attending a local fair or concert or other non-tourist activity. If you want to take in a show, either Ulalena or Warren and Annabelle's would be a good choice. They're completely different activities, so you'll want to check out the various reviews and their own websites to see if either or both appeal to you. If you have a club card for any of the Pavillions/Vons/Safeway (and whatever other chains are part of that family) stores, bring it. The Safeways in Hawaii will honor it, and the discounts can really add up. If you want to bring home pineapple, Maui is the number one island for it (IMO and my DH's) because you can order Maui Golds to be delivered to the airport. We use Take Home Maui on Dickenson (just off Front St.) in Lahaina. We've never been disappointed with anything we've ordered from them, and the delivery guys are always at the airport right on time.

Guess that's all I can think of for now. Feel free to ask questions and be sure to encourage all the other excellent members here. There are several locals, including Mo-n-CJ, shemo, MikeKaye, DonahCBrown, kapoho2, and Aloha Gal (those are just the first few who pop to mind), as well as other Hawaii enthusiasts, including Beach4me, Spikesgirl, MichellP (one of the newest members of the "club"), sceptic, bug dan, and Bucky3 (again, those are the first that pop to mind. The most avid Maui fans on the list are Mo-n-CJ (well, of course, considering that they live on Maui):D , Beach4me, Spikesgirl, and me. (My apologies to everyone who I've left off the lists; at my age, it's sometimes surprising I can remember my own name.):p

Hope that helps get you started. Have fun planning.

beachchick

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice! We bought our airline tickets yesterday, so its official that we're going back next March. I can't wait to start planning the next vacation.

We decided to book the condo in Kahana. You are so right about having a kitchen. We usually try to avoid hotels and opt for vacation rentals instead. We enjoy having more space and the opportunity to make some of our own food.

Thanks again for all the information you have given. I'm definitely going to use what you've said while I'm planning.

I think you'll like the Kahana area. It's out of the main crazy-busy parts and convenient to many excellent beaches and snorkeling spots. It's really close to Kapalua, which is one of our favorite "overall" beaches on the north-west. The snorkeling is usually only okay and can be lousy if the seaweed is in or a storm has just passed by, but we've had some pretty decent snorkels there. The left side (facing the water) is easy, but the right side is better snorkel sight-seeing. Kapalua is beautiful, not too long or busy, fairly well protected because it's a bay with reefs offshore, and just a nice place to visit. Public parking is in a lot at the south end of the bay. It's pretty busy, but we can usually find a spot within one of two "circles" of the lot. Sometimes people forget that folks come and go all day, so spots open up frequently. You just need to be there to "nab" one. I think there's probably some sort of public parking at the north end too, but I believe that the resort garage/lots are only for guests. Napili is a nice beach too and the Sea House Restaurant is there. Don't forget to try Pineapple Grill for dessert (at a minimum). Beach4me reported recently that the pineapple-upside-down cake is incredible. (I checked out the website; it sounds amazing--somehow we've missed eating there, but will for sure next trip.) You'll be between Ka'anapali and Kapalua, so you'll have plenty of choices at hand. We like Honolua Marine Preserve/Slaughterhouse Beach when the conditions are good. Neither have facilities and you have to climb down a hill to get there, but it's well worth the effort. Slaughterhouse is the southern bay/cove of the marine preserve. Don't forget Black Rock by the Sheraton on Ka'anapali for super easy and usually decent snorkeling. Airport Beach (properly, Kahekili) is a nice beach park with usually decent snorkeling. They've been building like crazy in the area, so I don't know how that's affected access or crowds.

Have fun planning and anticipating!

beachchick

I'm going to jump in for just a minute. :)

We've stayed in Honokowai several times and used to eat at a couple places up in Kahana on a regular basis. Both areas are very nice. You will be happy with your decision to stay in Kahana. Unfortunately, the restaurants that we used to frequent in Kahana are no longer there so I can't recommend them. But beachchick pointed you to Pineapple Grill...one of my absolute favorites! Sunday night is Prime Rib night at Pineapple Grill up at Kapalua. Make reservations and plan to get there early (before 8:00 p.m.) so that you know you'll get there before they run out. They serve really good lunches too. Pineapple Grill is one of my top 3 restaurants on the island.

As long as you're up that way...between the Kaanapali Beach Club (old Embassy Suites) in Honokowai and Kahana along the ocean road, there is a little church on the right side of the road (across from the ocean). It is just before you get to the beach park north of the KBC. It is just a little white church. It's been there forever. If you are there after a rain shower look up towards the mountains. I've seen the most awesome rainbows over that tiny little church. They are the brightest, most vibrant I've seen in the islands. (I remember the "good ol' days" when there was nothing around the little church...now there's stuff built up all around it - but it's still a beautiful little place.)

If you want a great whale watching trip, I took a fabulous one in February. It was on the Gemini - right off of Kaanapali Beach at the Westin. http://www.geminicharters.com/ They have a snorkeling trip I'm going to take next year too. beachchick pointed out the best beach snorkeling so I won't repeat any of that. She also mentioned Pacific Whale Foundation. I like them as well. I became a HUGE fan of Gemini this year though as I much prefer sailboats. Unfortunately, PWF sold all of their sailboats last year.

btw - it's common knowledge that there's a family of sea turtles at Black Rock. It's not as common knowledge that there's a family of sea turtles just off of the Kaanapali Beach Club. I think the snorkeling is MUCH better at Black Rock but since you are staying up at Kahana, I thought I'd mention the sea turtles at Honokowai to you. They are to the right of the hotel when looking at Molokai - in between KBC and the condos next to it.

Hope you find Maui and magical as I do!

Beach4me

Archived