Food Safety in Mexico.

jean6183

Is the food/water any safer to eat in Mexico?? We are going on a cruise 6/14 and I remember in 1994, we were told not to drink anything but bottled water.......no ice etc........Is it any better.. thanks.

If the water and food was as dangerous as you fear, we would be getting lots of reports from members to that effect. Most of the tourist destinations are fine, have purified water systems, so the problem isn't as it used to be years and years ago. I would, however, refrain from eating the meat is on a stick that was constantly offered to me on the beaches. Who knows what that is or where it's been.:eek:

Cozumel isn't like the rest of Mexico. ONLY purified water is used in food prep. You would NOT be served tap water. ONLY purified water is used to make ice. I've been to Cozumel on several land vacations and have eaten at lots of places without a problem, including locals' restaurants back in the neighborhood.

Tourism is a major business on Cozumel, sick tourists are unlikely to return to the island and spend money. They are likely to tell everyone they know that they got sick there. Read the Cozumel ports of call section, I can't remember the last time someone complained about getting sick in Cozumel because of something they ate there.

Yes, it is safe.

Except that they might have alcohol, a known toxin, they are safe.

What you want to avoid is Buffet food. Anything you order off of a menu is fine.

One thing that is sure to hurt you is too much exposure to the sun. Load up on the sunscreen if you are going to be out in the sun.

And more info in This Thread

Thanks so much, I appreciate your replies......I always worry so much about food safety.......You are so right about people not coming back to visit if they got sick...etc.. 6/14 is when we leave to our cruise........can't wait.

Thanks Again.

Jean :)

Thanks so much, I appreciate your replies......I always worry so much about food safety.......You are so right about people not coming back to visit if they got sick...etc.. 6/14 is when we leave to our cruise........can't wait.

Thanks Again.

Jean :)

As Bruce pointed out, it is best to stay away from the buffets, but anyone who is afraid to eat some of the local dishes in "REAL" Mexican resturants is missing some fine eats.

I have had the pleasure of visiting Mexico on 7 cruises and 2 land vacations. I had Motizuma's Revenge twice back in the late 60's. The place where we stayed had no running water on our first trip. Before our second trip they had installed a tank on the roof of the house and filled it weekly with water from the river. The showers were quite cool.

Man, they have come along way.

Archived