Busch Gardens From Downtown

fishman

We will have a small group coming in to Tampa two days prior to our cruise in December. One of the things we are considering doing is going to Busch Gardens. We will probably be staying downtown (Residence Inn or therabouts); are rental cars necessary or is there some other option? Any public transprtation available? Thanks!

There is a publis bus system called Hartline, but it may be confusing from downtown. I know the most direct bus is Route 5 Northbound which leaves from the marion transit center which is located downtown (depending where you stay, i believe the downtown trolley goes there, but that only runs M-F). The downside to this is the bus sytsem does not run very late (weekdays 9:45ish and weekends 7-8ish) and so you will probably have to cut down the time you spend at the park.

The fare is $1.50 pp one way or $3.25 for an all day pass. (keep in mind buses do not give change)

You can also opt for a taxi, but I am not sure how much that will run you and you have a large party so I would do a bit of research. Does your hotel offer any type of shuttle or anything to attractions?

Personally I would rent a car. I never particularly liked the bus system and it can seem like it takes forever espcially since Busch Gardens is on the far north of the route. I also dont like traveling on the bus at night. It is probably just fine and safe, but I guess its just me. I also just like being in control of my schedule. I go to busch gardens alot and being wet, sweaty, and exhausted by the end of the day, I like being able to jump in a car to go to where I need to go. Being on a bus for another 45 minutes isnt so appealing for me.

Hope this helps and Have fun!

I'd agree that renting a car would be the best choice. As Belle said, you can get there via the Hartline bus, but it would take a long time - not something I'd want after a day at Busch Gardens (and my kids wouldn't want it on the way there OR the way back).

The taxi would likely cost you as much, probably more, than the cost to rent a car for the day. I think the posted fare rate for the cab companies is around $2.25 per mile, maybe more now with the increased gas costs. It's a good 15 miles, so at a minimum you'd be looking at $35 each way. I know someone posted here recently that they were quoted something like $80 (not sure if that was one way or roundtrip).

Archived