Lamanai excursion ???

Zeno

We are considering an excursion to see the Mayan ruins at Lamanai. Has anyone done this and with which company? Even if the ship offers the excursion I would prefer to take it with a private company that someone recommends (usually a lot cheaper than a ship excursion). Howver if someone on the NCL Sun has done the excursion through NCL, I would be interested in their opinions. What type of boats are used ? How much walking is involved and what is the degree of difficulty? (I have arthritis - some walking is OK but extensive hiking on slippery or very rough ground would not be good.) Thanks to anyone who can help.

I went to Lamanai in March. While in most places, I book my excursions on my own, I booked through NCL for Lamanai. Belieze is a 3rd world country and the Lamanai trip takes you far away from the pier so this is 1 trip where I think it is worth the extra $$ for piece of mind. There is some walking, however the paths are pretty wide and it is flat and there are places to rest. The bus ride is kind of boring but the boat ride is a blast.

Thx so much sportsterjohn! I have pretty much decided to go with the NCL excursion because it is an all day thing, (and as you stated) we will be far from the pier and for the extra piece of mind. The boat ride is what sold it for my husband. He was afraid of being bored but after he saw the video, he felt he could put up with a boring bus ride followed by an exciting boat ride.

• 2 weeks later...

You are so right, the boatride is a blast. Nice and slow going but hot comming back. The guides are excellent. We went last year in may and it was warm. We are going back in feb for a second time. Gofeo

Archived