Binoculars with Trifocal glasses??!

WannaCruise08

I'd like to give my MIL some binoculars as a gift when we go to Alaska. However, I've heard her say in the past that she can't use binoculars because she wears trifocal glasses.

Anyone have any experience with this? I hate for her not to be able to zoom in on some of the sites and wildlife we will be seeing! What about a telescope? Is that a dumb question?

Just looking for some brainstorming here! Thanks for any input!

:)

I'd like to give my MIL some binoculars as a gift when we go to Alaska. However, I've heard her say in the past that she can't use binoculars because she wears trifocal glasses.

Anyone have any experience with this? I hate for her not to be able to zoom in on some of the sites and wildlife we will be seeing! What about a telescope? Is that a dumb question?

Just looking for some brainstorming here! Thanks for any input!

:)

I wear trifocals, and binoculars just don't work right with them. I finally had my dispensing optician recommend some that I could wear without my glasses and still see (similar to my camera focus for glasses). You might see if her optician has the same expertise.

I wear trifolcals and have found the best way for me is to have my glasses

on a neck-cord and drop them down to use the binocs. They can then be

focussed more clearly on the subject than trying to look through my specs.

A bit inconvenient but it works for me. Just make sure the neck strap is a good,

secure one that won't slip off the temples. It is also a bit awkward having the

binocs on their strap at the same time so maybe a wrist strap of some kind

would keep them safe.

I wear trifolcals and have found the best way for me is to have my glasses

on a neck-cord and drop them down to use the binocs. They can then be

focussed more clearly on the subject than trying to look through my specs.

A bit inconvenient but it works for me. Just make sure the neck strap is a good,

secure one that won't slip off the temples. It is also a bit awkward having the

binocs on their strap at the same time so maybe a wrist strap of some kind

would keep them safe.

First, I don't have the bifocal gene. Secondly, I also wear trifocals. Recently a friend and I dropped into a third party's house. He wanted to show us something across the key in Florida. I explained that I didn't have the bifocal gene, and he laughed and said, you will with these. So I took my glasses off and looked and he was correct I could use these bifocals. Then he said, you don't have to take your glasses off. So I put my glasses on and I could still see. Now these are not any cheap binoculars for use.

I am getting a pair for myself, although I am sure that his magnification was more expensive than I will be able to afford.

They were Canon image stabilizer binoculars. The ones I am getting are $350. Don't know if you wanted to go that high, but I haven't found any of the lesser priced ones that work with my glasses on.

Janice

For glasses wearers, the quality of binoculars will make a big difference. One feature you need to look for while purchasing a binoculars is the eye relief. A high quality binoculars has a minimal eye relief of 11mm, some of them go up to 18-20mm. That's the optimal viewing distance between your eyes and binocular ocular lens. With longer eye relief, the binocular can accomodate the eyeglasses so you don't have to take it off. In addition, some high quality products have this adjustable mechanism to allow eyecups to move up and down to accomodate people with and without eyeglasses.

I just wear bifocals (not trifocals), but I had my optical shop make me a pair of glasses with the bifocal correction set lower than usual so that I can more easily use binoculars...but still have the correction I need for reading.

I realize this is a MAJOR expense, and not everyone will want a special pair of glasses to use while birding/whale watching, but it sure is easier than removing my glasses everytime I want to look through my binoculars.

Archived