Anyone on the morning White Pass train on May 28?

parasol

My family and I were all set to take the 7 hour Chilkoot Charters trip which starts with taking the train up to Fraser and a van to Carcross and Emerald Lake. 10 minutes into the train ride the engine car broke an axle and we had to go right back to town. I was so disappointed! I suppose these things do happen occasionally. Many on the train proceeded to flood the local tour offices to find something to fill up their morning/day. Most things were sold out or had already left so my sister convinced me to go rock climbing.:eek:

Sorry it didn't work out for you. We were on the train the next day and we also had a break down with one of the engines. They didn't say what it was, but they backed down to the shop and within 20 minutes they attached a replacement engine car and we were one our way. I wonder why they couldn't do the same for you. It made me feel fortunate that we were able to continue with our trip.

How was the rock climbing?

Sorry it didn't work out for you. We were on the train the next day and we also had a break down with one of the engines. They didn't say what it was, but they backed down to the shop and within 20 minutes they attached a replacement engine car and we were one our way. I wonder why they couldn't do the same for you. It made me feel fortunate that we were able to continue with our trip.

How was the rock climbing?

Wow - lucky duck! Did you enjoy the trip? It was the thing I was most looking forward to and the only excursion I had booked. The rock climbing had some pretty views of the mountains and the train tracks funnily enough. A humming bird flew right past me which was cool. I actually chickened out and didn't do any climbing or repelling so I just took pictures of my sister who was brave enough. It was also pretty hot that day but under the shade of the forest trees it was nice. Looking back though I should've splurged and done the helicopter glacier tour instead.

We did enjoy the trip, it was such a beautiful day and the scenery was spectacular. We enjoyed the rest of the trip also, with a bus tour to Liarsville and its' interesting history. They fed us a grilled salmon lunch with salads, a little goldpanning (that was a bit disappointing) and then on to Skagway for some shopping and a stop at one of the saloons and a historic bordello. I guess now that it's over we will have to live vicariously through others :(

Archived