Star Virgo ex Singapore

maxx

Hi all

Have just booked a cruise in Nov. It looks fantastic, simply can't wait. Have booked balcony class, I read somewhere that they give you lunch before hand. Has anyone done this?

Can anyone give me some info about staying in Singapore at a reasonably priced hotel.

Also getting to the ship....where is the harbour in realtion to the city itself?

Depending on what time your cruise departs and what time you board gives the answer to your first query . If you board in time and restaurants are still open then you can dine at the inclusive restaurants . Your Cruise Documentation will indicate time boarding commences and also a gate closing time (last boarding, which is usually 90 minutes before advertised sailing time.)

We have found good value hotels in Singapore are the Allson in Victoria St, and also the Rendezvous on Bras Bahah Road . Both very close to Orchard Rd shopping, Chinatown, Raffles, and Bugis Street . If you have deep pockets go for the grandeur of Raffles itself .

The Singapore Cruise Centre is approximately 15 - 20 minutes from the CBD by taxi . Taxis in Singapore are really cheap. The Cruise Centre is also accessible by the excellent underground railway to a station called HARBOURFRONT. But save your legs and lugging bags around and get a taxi they are top value .

Six of one and half a dozen of the other . You are booked in November so doing Straights of Malacca . Coast is on one side going up and the other coming back so no real difference .

With Gemini they have a preference to berth the Starboard side to the dock as far as possible , so with Gemini if you like looking at wharf activity booki Starboard, if you like the sea side when docked book Port side.

Am not aware of any similar berth side preference with SS VIRGO .

Hi Maxx

You'll love the Virgo. I went last December and loved it so much am going again this December. If you are on a Sunday departure, they do serve lunch before sailing. I still have the Star Navigator from the Sunday we left. Both the Mediterranean Buffet and Bella Vista were open from 12:30-3pm, as was the Pavillion (Chinese).

Have a great trip and tell us all about it afterwards!

Liz

Hi Maxx

You'll love the Virgo. I went last December and loved it so much am going again this December. If you are on a Sunday departure, they do serve lunch before sailing. I still have the Star Navigator from the Sunday we left. Both the Mediterranean Buffet and Bella Vista were open from 12:30-3pm, as was the Pavillion (Chinese).

Have a great trip and tell us all about it afterwards!

Liz

Hi Liz

Thanks for that. Yes we are on a Sunday cruise.

I think my hubby is more excited than me, he's bringing home info, telling everyone. Asking if we can afford it (lots of overtime).

It looks so amazing, I can't wait.

Have just booked the flights, now waiting to book hotels a bit closer to the time.

Hi Maxx

Don't leave the hotel booking too long. Singapore is very popular nowadays and you may have trouble getting the hotel you want. Do you know where you want to stay?

Liz

I'm looking daily, you're right, there's not much showing available.

My considerations are:

Golden Landmark

Quality

Grand Mercure

Swissotel Merchant

Bayview

Allson

Just a matter of deciding which district we want to be in.

Swissotel Merchant is the best of the list.

Located at the doorstep of Chinatown station along the NEL(purple) MRT line.

Within walking distance to Boat Quay, Chinatown, Fort Canning and City Hall.

Swissotel Merchant is the best of the list.

Located at the doorstep of Chinatown station along the NEL(purple) MRT line.

Within walking distance to Boat Quay, Chinatown, Fort Canning and City Hall.

Thanks for that. Can you tell me how far this is from the cruise centre & are there any reasonably priced hotels near the cruise centre?

Cheers

If you take the MRT(NEL/Purple line), it goes straight to Harbourfront in 15minutes - faster than taking a Taxi although you do have to drag your luggage around. There are ramps; lifts; elevators everywhere.

I don't remember seeing any decent hotel around Harbourfront, the closest hotels would be round City Hall area I think - Swissotel; Fairmont; Raffles; Mandarin Oriental; Ritz etc.

Archived