Camp Carnival & kids of different ages

Clover9990

Hi everyone,

We've been on a Carnival Cruise before 9 years ago, but we are taking our kids on a cruise for the first time this summer. We have a 9.5 year old and an almost 8 year old. It's my understanding that they will be in different camp sections due to being in different age groups, right? This makes me very nervous...my kids tend to watch out for one another, and I guess it's the whole "safety in numbers" thing. Were your kids OK being in 2 different age groups? Do the different age groups ever do activities together? What kinds of activities do they have for kids? They don't let them roam the ship alone, do they?

Please help calm my fears...I've heard so many wonderful things about Camp Carnival, and really don't want my stomach to be in knots any time my kids are away from me. Thanks in advance! :o

My experience has been that they are quite strict about enforcing the age groups.

With our kids, however, this did not turn out to be a problem. Frankly, they wanted to spend all their time at Camp Carnival - not with us!

Two of the kids were in one group and one was in another - and it didn't seem to be a problem.

I've checked out Camp Carnival Capers several times because my daughter will be 1 week away from her birthday when we sail and I wanted to compare activities between the 6-8 yo's and the 9-11 yo's...I noticed they did a lot of activities together. The biggest difference was that the 9-11 yo's can sign themselves out and the younger ones can't.

Yes, they will be in different groups...just like at school. But they will do fine.

Our 2 boys were never in the same age group and enjoyed having their "own" experiences.

These are capers originally posted by wennfred. You can compare the activities offered to each group to get an idea of what is offered.

Just like LHP said, they are in different age groups at school and they do find. If you are very concerned though, just make sure to listen to them and if they express nervousness or don't like the program, just take them out and spend time with them. That's one reason we travel as a family, to spend time with the kids. :rolleyes:

http://members.cox.net/wennfred2/6-8.html

http://members.cox.net/wennfred3/9-11.html

These are capers originally posted by wennfred. You can compare the activities offered to each group to get an idea of what is offered.

Just like LHP said, they are in different age groups at school and they do find. If you are very concerned though, just make sure to listen to them and if they express nervousness or don't like the program, just take them out and spend time with them. That's one reason we travel as a family, to spend time with the kids. :rolleyes:

http://members.cox.net/wennfred2/6-8.html

http://members.cox.net/wennfred3/9-11.html

Any idea how old these capers are? Also, are the activities for the Valor about the same for Eastern and Western cruises?

I leave in 12 days with my DS (6) and DN (11). The older has reminded me several times that he's very shy and isn't thrilled about the idea of Camp Carnival. I figured once he gets there and meets a few kids he'll be fine, but can anybody offer other suggestions?

Thanks for the reassurance, everyone. Also, thanks for posting the capers- I think my kids will definitely enjoy Camp Carnival!

To the PP, I am certainly not one of those parents who plans on dumping their kids at the camp from morning-night every day (I do realize some kids who spend all of their time at CC do so of their own accord, and not b/c parents are looking for a free babysitter.) I will let THEM choose which sessions they'd like to go to...I am blessed with kids who are usually extremely well behaved and I, too, intend to spend lots of time together as a family.

Any idea how old these capers are? Also, are the activities for the Valor about the same for Eastern and Western cruises?

I leave in 12 days with my DS (6) and DN (11). The older has reminded me several times that he's very shy and isn't thrilled about the idea of Camp Carnival. I figured once he gets there and meets a few kids he'll be fine, but can anybody offer other suggestions?

The best suggestion I have picked up on these boards is to not miss the first night social on sail away day. That's when m most of the campers meet and start forming freindships.

We just got back from a March cruise and are leaving again June 8th for another one. With kids 15, 10 and 2, we saw the entire programs possibilities. The bottom line is "GREAT". The counselors were wonderful and all three of my kids had a great time.

1. Like others have said, go the first night and make sure they meet other kids.

2. Not an issue for me, but my understanding is that if you have siblings in two groups, the older can go step down one group to be with a younger sibling. I would not recommend this. It is a safe and fun environment for a sibling to learn to reach out on their own.

3. For the our 2 year old, we were given a cell phone so they could call us any time with issues or requests. This was comfrorting to know, but i don't think it was ever used.

4. As you get older (15-17) the time is about hanging out together, not really what you would call structured activities. My 15 year old did not want structured games all night. They want music and time to meet knew friends. She was very apprehensive before we went, but is ready to go right back on Sunday because she had a great time. A week after we were back, a boy was calling her to indicate he would be in town for a soccer tournament and wanted to see if they could get together.

5. For you parents out there, please relax and your kids will follow suit. With younger kids, the security was tight (and i tried to test it). When my kids are having fun, DW and I were also able to have fun.

Have a great trip!!

Archived