NCL Jade 7/13/08-7/26/08

I'm cruising with my 18 yr old daughter and have no idea wha tdo do about shore excursions or setting up my own tours or just winging it. First time cruising to Europe and I'm trying to watch the dollars a bit but want to have a great experience at the same time. Any suggestions port by port. It's the British Isles on NCL-Jade July 13-26th. I'd appreciate any ideas, suggestions or opinions. Thanks so much.;)

Although expensive I advocate ship's excursions for first time travellers to any area. You will get a knowledgeable guide so that you know what it is that you are looking at and you will be guaranteed a return to the ship before it sails for the next port. Yes, it is expensive but you have a "smorgesbord" of choices and price ranges to choose from. Keep in mind this is a very port intensive cruise and a little "downtime" on the ship can't hurt whereas many of the independent tours are all day affairs. Also, it is true that in many cases because of the currency rates the independents aren't that much cheaper anymore. For instance, a tour that costs ONLY 45 pounds is actually $88.65 in USD!!!! Look forward to seeing you at our "meet & greet" on the 13th of July...........

Although expensive I advocate ship's excursions for first time travellers to any area. You will get a knowledgeable guide so that you know what it is that you are looking at and you will be guaranteed a return to the ship before it sails for the next port. Yes, it is expensive but you have a "smorgesbord" of choices and price ranges to choose from. Keep in mind this is a very port intensive cruise and a little "downtime" on the ship can't hurt whereas many of the independent tours are all day affairs. Also, it is true that in many cases because of the currency rates the independents aren't that much cheaper anymore. For instance, a tour that costs ONLY 45 pounds is actually $88.65 in USD!!!! Look forward to seeing you at our "meet & greet" on the 13th of July...........

Thanks Rick,

Are there any ports on our cruise that seem better for doing the HOHO? I can't afford an excursion in every port, for instance...Amsterdam and a couple of others seem to be OK just getting into the city and jumping on canal or city tours. My 18yr old will probably get a bit bored with 100% tours anyway. What are you doing in the La Havre stop? Being Bastilles day and all.

Side note: I noticed some of the restaurants on the ship have surcharges, how many don't? Sure is nice having a personal travel agent!!!! Thanks for all your help.

There are HOHO buses in most of the ports we will be calling on and they can be a great option! They certainly operate in Dublin and Belfast but not in Cork. Not sure about Glasgow although there is a free bus in Greenock where we actually dock. We are not near anything in Belgium but you don't want to miss Brugge if you haven't been there. BECAUSE it is Bastille Day and we've been to Paris 6 times, once staying a week and another time 3 days we are going to the village of Honfluer which is a "quaint" fishing village near LeHavre and has a serious wine drinking, people-watching problem! The ship is sponsoring a 4 1/2 hour tour there for only $55.00 pp. Because of the holiday I wouldn't rely on the availability of cabs or buses.

Thanks Drib, I've booked 4 tours and I'm taking your advice and stopping there. I believe there's an afternoon Rouen tour for 4 hours I might add. In all the other ports I've purchased HOHO tickets just to save time standing in line. In Amsterdam we're doing a little canal HOHO and on the last day just walking around Brugge on our own. I feel good about the tours wehave planned in Falmouth, Cork, Belfast and Iverness. Thanks for the realistic advice concerning the teenager aspect....sleeping in etc..

Happy Cruising!

Archived