Swimming Pool - Did you use it?

saileyellie

YES! We just got back today and used the OUTDOOR pool three times. The air temperature was 49 degrees, but the water temperature was 78 degrees, and the pool on the Holland America Rhyndam was salt water, so it was great to just bob around in the warm water with the snow-capped mountains behind us. It's a little brisk when you get out, but just put your towels and robe right by the swim ladder and you'll only be exposed about 15 seconds. Well worth it. Once we decided to try it, we did it every night to wind down after the day's events. The last night it was raining, and we still went out. I only wish we had done it from day one. (Getting the bartender to bring you mojitos while you bob around makes for a festive atmosphere too.)

Try it. The worst that will happen is you'll be cold for a few seconds and if you don't like it, you won't have to do it again. My guess is you'll like it - otherwise you wouldn't even be asking.

Did we use it--sure! It is so refreshing to jump into the pool after sitting in the hot tub--just be sure to have your towel and coverup close by! We used the wave pool by the spa on the Golden Princess and had a ball.

No, at 49 degrees, there weren't many on the Zuiderdam that did in Aug '07. I would say we saw no more than 6 people ever use the pool. And those that did, you saw running for cover inside immediately upon exiting the pool. I didn't pay attention to the hot tub, so don't know if there were folks using that, but I had on long underwear, sweats and a winter parka. No way I would have even thought of putting on a bathing suit.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

we were on the Sapphire Princess and folks were using all the pools (temp in the 50's mostly.) I used the "indoor" one, but only because my spouse was nearby. The water was warm in all the pools. In fact, they were more comfortable for me than the ones while sailing in the Caribbean. Hot tubs are also available.

Silly question, but can't remember from my last Alaska cruise (4 yrs ago)...do they have towels out by the pools or do you have to bring your own from home? I am hoping not to pack towels! (we are sailing on Princess--the Sapphire next week). Thanks!

Any cruise line that I have ever been on including Princess provides pool towels.

I'm wondering if many of you used the swimming pool on your cruise to Alaska? I'm definitely planning on it, but wanted to hear from others...too cold?

I have found it too cold, but in late July and early August there are often port days where you could use it. Otherwise it is sitting close to the pool with a blanket for me.

Just got back...

We did not use the pool. Though there were many that did... and said the water was plenty warm. I just couldn't face the colder air temperature, getting back out.

On our ship, Radiance, there's also an enclosed/indoor pool. It's open 24 hours and is adults only... EXCEPT families may use it between noon- 2 pm and 4-6 pm. One day, I did pull up a lounge chair in the Solarium and nap for about 1 1/2 hours. :o

• 2 weeks later...

Archived