Reservation has been "Chartered". Now What?

Hello everyone!

Last week I learned, not through NCL, that our booked cruise for Feb 01, 2009 on the Jewel has been privately charted (a cruise concert with Barenaked ladies).

I've done a little research (on the *other* website - the on that has the concert) and everything is confirmed and they've already started booking the cabins and the cruise date has been removed from NCL's website.

We made our reservation directly with NCL.

So, the question is: What, traditionally, is going to happen? Is NCL going to contact us to formally inform us of what's taken place with our reservation? Are they going to offer us any type of ... can't think of the word... 'perk', such as an upgraded room on another cruise date (we have a balcony reserved and I've been "stalking" NCL's website for the January dates and their suites are about a $100 more than what we reserved for the balcony - can we negotiate a 'free' upgrade for our troubles (deposits for the ceremony have been made for the week were to be on the Feb cruise) to change our reservation (which they know that we were going to get married on that cruise reservation), or are they going to be like "well, you can cancel and get your money back".

Any feedback would be helpful.

I'm only impatient about know what's going to happen because: 1. this is my first cruise, ever, and 2. it's going to be my wedding too!

p.s. no wedding guests, yet. so no stress on that aspect of re-planning.

Hello everyone!

Last week I learned, not through NCL, that our booked cruise for Feb 01, 2009 on the Jewel has been privately charted (a cruise concert with Barenaked ladies).

I've done a little research (on the *other* website - the on that has the concert) and everything is confirmed and they've already started booking the cabins and the cruise date has been removed from NCL's website.

We made our reservation directly with NCL.

So, the question is: What, traditionally, is going to happen? Is NCL going to contact us to formally inform us of what's taken place with our reservation? Are they going to offer us any type of ... can't think of the word... 'perk', such as an upgraded room on another cruise date (we have a balcony reserved and I've been "stalking" NCL's website for the January dates and their suites are about a $100 more than what we reserved for the balcony - can we negotiate a 'free' upgrade for our troubles (deposits for the ceremony have been made for the week were to be on the Feb cruise) to change our reservation (which they know that we were going to get married on that cruise reservation), or are they going to be like "well, you can cancel and get your money back".

Any feedback would be helpful.

I'm only impatient about know what's going to happen because: 1. this is my first cruise, ever, and 2. it's going to be my wedding too!

p.s. no wedding guests, yet. so no stress on that aspect of re-planning.

Don't wait for OBC. Rebook now. The savings for rebooking now at lower rates on fares and gas surcharges should be valued more than any minimum credits that may be forthcoming from NCL in the future.

Is it possible they don't have your email address? Being new and all they might not have. I think it took a few weeks for them to "Offically" book the cruise through NCL - paperwork and all :rolleyes: So you should hear shortly - if not then feel free to call NCL - I think the normal route when this happens is to cancel and rebook with no penalties and you may want to wait to see what they are offering, but with the date being so far out I don't imagine there will be any OBC or such. But I could be wrong. Myself, if I was planning a wedding I'd be sure to get the next one booked before it sells out. Did you contact the wedding planner at NCL? Might be worthwhile. Congrats on the upcoming wedding - and best of luck with the sailing. :) Wouldn't it be neat to be married with the Barenaked Ladies there too!!

There was a thread on this board - found it http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=757571

This type of practice really should be illegal in the cruise industry. A tall ship group that I belong to also does charters, BUT they block out certain weeks in which ONLY charters can take over the ship. If no group charters the ship within a certain amount of time, then the ship is opened up for inidividuals.

I understand cruise ships are much, much bigger.. but the idea still could work if groups knew they had to charter by no later than a year in advance, for example.

For what it's worth - We were booked on the Spirit out of NYC one time and they had to cancel for dry docking the ship that week. NCL refunded us our money and gave a credit for a future booking (I think it was 25%, if I remember correctly, of the price of the canceled cruise).

All in all, it was a fair deal for something that was beyond their control.

Good luck!

So, basically, I shouldn't wait for NCL to call and take the inititive to reschedule.

That's what we've been debating about this past week - rebook to insure we have a spot, and balcony, on the cruise and then hope for an upsell offer; or just wait and see what NCL offeres us when they call.

I believe we've decided to just go ahead and call NCL to rebook for Jan 18 sailing...

Thanks Everyone!

Congrats on your upcoming wedding:D You certainly have a wonderful attitude and seem to be taking this all in stride:)

Normally when passengers get bumped for a charter some sort of compensation is offered. Have you tried contacting NCL to let them know that you have heard through the rumor mill that you are going to be bumped. If they confirm that BNL's has indeed chartered the entire ship, ask them what type of compensation they are offering displaced passengers.

My sailing was altered this spring due to engine troubles. We were given the option to cancel by a certain date w/o penalty. No compensation was offered because we still had the option of reamaining on the sailing. BUT in your case, you will not have the option of remaining on the sailing so they should offer you something for your troubles.

Here's another post that offers some good advice:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=14620698&postcount=21

Try to call NCL sooner rather than later to get this all straightened out as the fuel surcharge is set to go up again on June 20th.

Good luck. Make sure to keep us posted on your outcome:)

Congrats on your upcoming wedding:D You certainly have a wonderful attitude and seem to be taking this all in stride:)

Normally when passengers get bumped for a charter some sort of compensation is offered. Have you tried contacting NCL to let them know that you have heard through the rumor mill that you are going to be bumped. If they confirm that BNL's has indeed chartered the entire ship, ask them what type of compensation they are offering displaced passengers.

My sailing was altered this spring due to engine troubles. We were given the option to cancel by a certain date w/o penalty. No compensation was offered because we still had the option of reamaining on the sailing. BUT in your case, you will not have the option of remaining on the sailing so they should offer you something for your troubles.

Here's another post that offers some good advice:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=14620698&postcount=21

Try to call NCL sooner rather than later to get this all straightened out as the fuel surcharge is set to go up again on June 20th.

Good luck. Make sure to keep us posted on your outcome:)

Thanks.

The only reason I am taking this all in stride is because we're eloping, so I don't have to worry about guests rescheduling and stuff, and we don't loose our deposit for the ceremony since the alternative date was available.

If our situation were any different, then I'd probably go "Bridezilla" on NCL.

Either way, I've called NCL and we're now book for the Jan 18 sailing! And, I learned that they threw in an anniversary cake for us (which I guess was suppose to be a surprise from NCL but the CSR read out loud the "order")! I am happy that things are still going as planned - and earlier than scheduled!

Now... I just need to find two witnesses for our ceremony... any volunteers?

Would of been cool to have the BNL witness for you and then sing at your reception.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding, Im sure it will be a great wedding at sea!

Would of been cool to have the BNL witness for you and then sing at your reception.

Congrats on the upcoming wedding, Im sure it will be a great wedding at sea!

Yeah, that would be awesome!

Maybe for a vowel renewal...

Thanks.

The only reason I am taking this all in stride is because we're eloping, so I don't have to worry about guests rescheduling and stuff, and we don't loose our deposit for the ceremony since the alternative date was available.

If our situation were any different, then I'd probably go "Bridezilla" on NCL.

Either way, I've called NCL and we're now book for the Jan 18 sailing! And, I learned that they threw in an anniversary cake for us (which I guess was suppose to be a surprise from NCL but the CSR read out loud the "order")! I am happy that things are still going as planned - and earlier than scheduled!

Glad to hear that everything has worked out! Good luck with your wedding and have a GREAT cruise:D

Archived