Holiday Inn Express LAX Lawndale anyone been there?

Cessna140

Hi,

I'm holding rooms at the Holiday Inn Express on Hawthorne Blvd in Lawndale. Has anyone stayed there? It got good reviews on tripadvisor dot com but I would be happy to hear from anyone who may have stayed there. It is a little bit closer to the pier as opposed to staying near Hollywood or Downtown, thereby making our taxi ride to the pier that much shorter and cheaper.......there are 6 of us so I am paying for 2 taxis.

Thanks!

Marcia

I worked in Lawndale just about two blocks from this motel for about 3 years and would not recommend staying here. The motel is fine but the area has nothing to offer even for one night. High crime area. Also, you are still about 12 miles from the port and a costly 2 cab fare.

Check for the special pricing available at the Holiday Inn on Gaffey Street in San Pedro (If you must have a HI brand). Also the two star Vagabond Inn has generally excellent rates on Gaffey Street also. About 1/2 mile from port

I use Priceline alot and have just got the Marina Hotel in San Pedro (3 star) for $68 inc all fees with free shuttle to/from cruiseport. However, this my not be a good gamble for you with a large group of people. Most rooms have two double beds that can accomodate 4 ppl BUT there is no guarantee.

Steve Hayes

Thanks Steve! I cancelled my reservations in Lawndale. My problem is that we want to stay somewhere close enough to LA center that we would be able to take one of those Hollywood tours ( first time in California) so I think that lets the Long Beach hotels out. So I was thinking that if we stayed in a hotel near the airport we could hop a bus for a tour and then either get super shuttle or a limo to take us to the pier on Saturday. there are six of us so we would need 2 taxis if we went the taxi route. Any LAX hotel suggestions?

thanks!

Marcia

Marcia,

Your plan sounds good because LAX is exactly in the middle with Hollywood Northeast and the port Southwest. With the LAX area in mind I highly recommend that you go on the Hotwire website. You can put in the LAX area along with as an example: 2 rooms - 6 adults total or whatever your mix is. ANY of the LAX hotels that are 3 stars or 4 stars will suit your needs perfectly.

I just put in a date for November for 2 rooms with 6 adults and a 3 1/2 star hotel priced out at $152 total for two rooms.

Do not be afraid to use Hotwire. I have used both Priceline and Hotwire for over two years now. Priceline tends to be a few bucks cheaper BUT Hotwire gives you the ability to book multiple rooms.

Steve Hayes

Thanks Steve! I cancelled my reservations in Lawndale. My problem is that we want to stay somewhere close enough to LA center that we would be able to take one of those Hollywood tours ( first time in California) so I think that lets the Long Beach hotels out. So I was thinking that if we stayed in a hotel near the airport we could hop a bus for a tour and then either get super shuttle or a limo to take us to the pier on Saturday. there are six of us so we would need 2 taxis if we went the taxi route. Any LAX hotel suggestions?

thanks!

Marcia

Hi Steve

Thanks for your suggestions. I got brave and tried Hotwire and ended up at the 4 star Westin for $71 a room per night.

I took advantage of the new member $10 off each night each room promotion. Are you familiar with the area around that Hotel? It is the Westin near LAX. Just wondering if there are any restaurants or shopping areas we could safely walk to. I didnt see a continental breakfast offered on the Westin website (but they do have a restaurant at the hotel, no doubt would cost us $75 for 6 of us to have breakfast!) So thanks again for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Marcia

I know exactly where the Westin is located. I am having a meeting this morning at LAX and will be going right by the Westin. Unfortuanately there really is nothing for walking around that area at all.

I will make one recommendation though. Have the the hotel shuttle take you to the Encounters Restaurant at the airport. It looks like a modern day spaceship and has upscale drinks and food. A unique one-of-a-kind place.

Steve Hayes

Archived